Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Do any of you have any experience in growing ginger root ?

I bought one at the garden centre today and though it says to plant it Feb-May for havest July-November I would like to give it a go despite it being bit on the late side. But would it work in a large pot on the balcony or does it need to be planted into the ground at the allotment ? On the balcony I can better keep an eye on it, I feel. Planted into the ground at the allotment I may end up forgetting about it till it grows leafy. Even with an added stick next to it.

Would love to make my own ginger root shots. If anyone has a good idea on how to make that later in the year am all ears.
I didn't think you could grow it in this country, not warm or humid enough.

I'd love to know otherwise, I love ginger

Do any of you have any experience in growing ginger root ?

I bought one at the garden centre today and though it says to plant it Feb-May for havest July-November I would like to give it a go despite it being bit on the late side. But would it work in a large pot on the balcony or does it need to be planted into the ground at the allotment ? On the balcony I can better keep an eye on it, I feel. Planted into the ground at the allotment I may end up forgetting about it till it grows leafy. Even with an added stick next to it.

Would love to make my own ginger root shots. If anyone has a good idea on how to make that later in the year am all ears.
I planted some in February in a pot in the greenhouse. Not a thing yet. Turned the pot up thinking it had rotten away and it's still there but showing no sign of any growth.

I’m having a nightmare with my seedlings, quite a few not germinating in the propagator to begin with, then the ones that did I took out and put onto the windowsill when ready have all died.

Choice of hoe is a serious business ;)
I know. The wrong choice can lead to bother!

I’m having a nightmare with my seedlings, quite a few not germinating in the propagator to begin with, then the ones that did I took out and put onto the windowsill when ready have all died.
Had a few cold nights over the last week. I lost a tomato plant last night that was 8 inches in the greenhouse.

Are they this years seed as sometimes this happens with older seeds. They germinate randomly then die.

And yes I know we are butting heads on another thread but hey ho that’s life. :lol:

Last edited:
I know. The wrong choice can lead to bother!

Had a few cold nights over the last week. I lost a tomato plant last night that was 8 inches in the greenhouse.

Are they this years seed as sometimes this happens with older seeds. They germinate randomly then die.

And yes I know we are butting heads on another thread but hey ho that’s life. :lol:

That’s what being an adult is all about, just because I think you are a dick on one thread it doesn’t mean I think you are a dick on every thread :lol:

Yeah they were brand new seeds, only got them about a week back, they were from premier seeds who I have used a few times in the past and had no problems with.

Having quite poor germination with things I have direct sown this year too, lettuce leaves only about 20% have come up, no spinch beet at all. Will try and get some more in this week.

That’s what being an adult is all about, just because I think you are a dick on one thread it doesn’t mean I think you are a dick on every thread :lol:

Yeah they were brand new seeds, only got them about a week back, they were from premier seeds who I have used a few times in the past and had no problems with.

Having quite poor germination with things I have direct sown this year too, lettuce leaves only about 20% have come up, no spinch beet at all. Will try and get some more in this week.
Strange. I had similar last year so I went belt and braces. Direct with seed. Then planted out seedlings then growing in the green house.
I think my water butt got contaminated last year somehow. Which doesn’t apply to you of course.
I wouldn’t panic to be fair like I say we’ve had a cold week at nighttime so maybe just slow through. Should be seeing them through with these warm nights over the next week I would think. Still not too late for a back up plan if you have room.

Strange. I had similar last year so I went belt and braces. Direct with seed. Then planted out seedlings then growing in the green house.
I think my water butt got contaminated last year somehow. Which doesn’t apply to you of course.
I wouldn’t panic to be fair like I say we’ve had a cold week at nighttime so maybe just slow through. Should be seeing them through with these warm nights over the next week I would think. Still not too late for a back up plan if you have room.
Nowt worse than a contaminated butt like.

I did once read that you should not use water butt water on seedlings. Because it has been stagnant, it develops various moulds and algae which can harm or disease seedlings. Larger plants cope with it no bother.

I did once read that you should not use water butt water on seedlings. Because it has been stagnant, it develops various moulds and algae which can harm or disease seedlings. Larger plants cope with it no bother.
Aye your probably right mate as it’s off the greenhouse and always used it. You live and learn.

Can I have hoe advice please. Dutch hoe, onion hoe or two way hoe - what's best?
I favour the draw hoe.. Bigger blade than the onion hoe
Depends on your soil type really, mine's heavy and stony

Also have a fab little hand hoe the previous owner left behind which is superb for weeding.... Has a pointy blade

I'm a dead loss with the Dutch/stirrup hoe as I just amputate my plants

Back