Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Can I have hoe advice please. Dutch hoe, onion hoe or two way hoe - what's best?
When it comes to hoes, you need to be specific about what you want to do with them.

Dutch hoes and weeds are a match made in heaven. Potato/draw hoes are better at making sure your spuds don’t get exposed to the sunlight.

What have you got planned for your hoe?

I use an onion hoe for getting between veg plants. What I find is loads of small weeds start to spring up when the plants are established. Sometimes just raking it back and forward over the soil uproutes the weeds and kills them off. It is handy for cutting out a furrow for seed planting too.

When it comes to hoes, you need to be specific about what you want to do with them.

Dutch hoes and weeds are a match made in heaven. Potato/draw hoes are better at making sure your spuds don’t get exposed to the sunlight.

What have you got planned for your hoe?
I’m gonna use my hoe for weeding between the brassicas.

Never mind they should recover ok. I'm more worried about the greens I planted out yesterday morning. I watered them in and left my allotment at 14:00. I decided to have a drive back round at 18:30 because it had been so warm and sunny and they were starting to shrivel so I gave them a good soaking.
I’m in and the the greenhouse like a blue arsed fly atm. Door open, shut, ajar, then open, then shut again. Lost a couple of toms and a cucumber. Aubergines are thriving though.

I’m in and the the greenhouse like a blue arsed fly atm. Door open, shut, ajar, then open, then shut again. Lost a couple of toms and a cucumber. Aubergines are thriving though.

I am quite successful growing from seeds, alas im bloody useless when it comes to Cucumbers from seed, they germinate ok, then just as they are getting their second leaves the sods die.

Never mind they should recover ok. I'm more worried about the greens I planted out yesterday morning. I watered them in and left my allotment at 14:00. I decided to have a drive back round at 18:30 because it had been so warm and sunny and they were starting to shrivel so I gave them a good soaking.
I'm going away for 5 days next week. Considering bringing my tomato plants (7 pots/10 plants all over a metre high) indoors as even with a couple of 2 litre bottles of water in each I reckon they're gonna be finished (in Spain).

I'm going away for 5 days next week. Considering bringing my tomato plants (7 pots/10 plants all over a metre high) indoors as even with a couple of 2 litre bottles of water in each I reckon they're gonna be finished (in Spain).
Can you not rig up some kind of drip watering system? They prefer little and often rather than glut watering and drought as this leads to them splitting.

Can you not rig up some kind of drip watering system? They prefer little and often rather than glut watering and drought as this leads to them splitting.
Not really possible on a terrace with no water source (ie tap) or without great expense, as far as I'm aware.

Unless you have some suggestions.

Back