Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

Little white turnips doing well outside now,got some more just sprouting in the green house for a second crop. Carrots looking good, ready to go out. Trying some round carrots as well this year. Courgettes also ready to go out.
Peas thriving outside too !
Off to Heighleygate this afternoon for a nose around.

Last edited:
Got my first cherry tomatoes coming through.

Logon or register to see this image

There's a few more plants with a few more and others with lots of flowers too.

Got some coriander from seed. My Thai or Holy Basil (I can't remember which is in this particular pot) is coming on.

Struggled with a few other things so far though. :(

Little white turnips doing well outside now,got some more just sprouting in the green house for a second crop. Carrots looking good, ready to go out. Trying some round carrots as well this year. Courgettes also ready to go out.
Peas thriving outside too !
Off to Heighleygate this afternoon for a nose around.

Milan purple top turnips are tremendous, these will be getting put in again this year

Potato advice needed

Bought some first earlies to plant today in those plastic potato bags with the door on - was reading lastnight and some say you need to keep topping up the soil and to plant quite low down , others say no need and just plant towards the top and cover with soil

Potato advice needed

Bought some first earlies to plant today in those plastic potato bags with the door on - was reading lastnight and some say you need to keep topping up the soil and to plant quite low down , others say no need and just plant towards the top and cover with soil
I just cover the seed potatoe then keep topping up just above the growth until the pot is full.

Potato advice needed

I always use these types of growing bags for my 1st earlies too.
What works with me is putting in about 4" of compost in the bag and then put the seed spuds on top of that.
I then put another 4" of compost on top of that.
As the plant grows, wait until there's about 8" of foliage (the haulm) and then top up the bag to just under the top, obviously leaving enough room below the top to water the plant.
Give it a try.:cool:

You'll have a freezer full of they turn out like this again...:lol:

Logon or register to see this image

Brill that like.
Firey little chaps too me owld pal:cool:

Last edited:
I always use these types of growing bags for my 1st earlies too.
What works with me is putting in about 4" of compost in the bag and then put the seed spuds on top of that.
I then put another 4" of compost on top of that.
As the plant grows, wait until there's about 8" of foliage (the haulm) and then top up the bag to just under the top, obviously leaving enough room below the top to water the plant.
Give it a try.:cool:

Brill that like.
Firey little chaps too me owld pal:cool:

Thanks to you and @Gingga one more question how many potatoes do I put in each potato sack - I probably have about 16 chitted potatoes and four tubs - is four in each too much ?

Thanks to you and @Gingga one more question how many potatoes do I put in each potato sack - I probably have about 16 chitted potatoes and four tubs - is four in each too much ?
No doll.
I would go with 4 per sack.
They're 1st earlies, so will be small compared to the main crop.
By the way, what variety are you growing?
Also, I know it's too late now, but I always put my 1st earlies in around mid March. They take around 12 to 16 weeks or so.

Last edited:
No doll.
I would go with 4 per sack.
They're 1st earlies, so will be small compared to the main crop.
By the way, what variety are you growing?
Also, I know it's too late now, but I always put my 1st earlies in around mid March. They take around 12 to 16 weeks or so.

Last year I didn’t put any potatoes in until about this time maybe even closer to may, the weather had been horrendous and the ground was waterlogged for weeks. They still came out good. A few of the old blokes at the site were adamant that I shouldn’t have planted them, I looked it up and they are first earlies based on having a shorter time to harvest than the others, nothing to do with when they should be planted, made a few friends when I dared challenge their wisdom!

Last year I didn’t put any potatoes in until about this time maybe even closer to may, the weather had been horrendous and the ground was waterlogged for weeks. They still came out good. A few of the old blokes at the site were adamant that I shouldn’t have planted them, I looked it up and they are first earlies based on having a shorter time to harvest than the others, nothing to do with when they should be planted, made a few friends when I dared challenge their wisdom!
I hear what you're saying.
You live down that London though don't you??
A top- coat warmer down there.
The growing season is a lot longer down there mind.
But it all depends on when you intend on eating your produce. As I mentioned, 1st earlies will take 12 weeks at least.

Back