Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
No doll.
I would go with 4 per sack.
They're 1st earlies, so will be small compared to the main crop.
By the way, what variety are you growing?
Also, I know it's too late now, but I always put my 1st earlies in around mid March. They take around 12 to 16 weeks or so.
I do a few buckets in the greenhouse at the end of February for a nice early crop.

Managed to get out this weekend and make a start. Got my seeds bought and a planting plan drawn up, though no planting done!

Got my taties in under a bit of fleece and would have got parsnips, onions and garlic in if I hadn't ran out of time. Hopefully a decent Easter Monday, I'll have those in plus a lot of seeds on the go. I give my greenhouse a good tidy and it looks a bit pathetic with just 2 trays of leeks in it. I stuck some peas in the border, so hopefully they will come up before it is time to get tomatoes in. I did similar with some first early potatoes. I'll start cabbages and kale in the greenhouse and have tatties in their plot. Hopefully get a quick and early crop then the cabbages straight in.

Right, I'm back in the veg game this year. So far I have planted out mangetout Rodney, summer cabbages and brussels sprouts. To go out this week are summer broc, spring flowering broc, leeks and parsnips.
Planting mine out this weekend. Try and clear the greenhouse before my tommies get delivered. I’ve had to slow them down a bit. Sprouts are 6inches and a bit leggy.

Lots of sun and daily water helps a lot mind.
I think my tomatoes get too dry, which is why I have had a few poor years.

I stuck some peas in my greenhouse border and I was amazed at how dry it was. I give it a good soaking, turned it over and it was bone dry underneath. I did that a few times and still it was pretty dry. I think I need to spend the next month keeping it moist before I pull the peas out and get the tomatoes in.

What did you feed that thing?
Nowt mate. Just a multipurpose compost. Think the climate here helps.

What type is it?
It didn't say, but guessing similar to a bird's eye, going off shape and heat.

I stuck some peas in my greenhouse border and I was amazed at how dry it was. I give it a good soaking, turned it over and it was bone dry underneath. I did that a few times and still it was pretty dry. I think I need to spend the next month keeping it moist before I pull the peas out and get the tomatoes in.
Bury one of those soak hoses underneath them?

Last edited:

Dig some compost in

Dig some compost in
I think the problem might be too much compost and not enough water retention. I might try digging in some top soil and some of those crystals for hanging baskets.

@Typhoonftm I have a soak hose but there is not a convenient way to get water to it without a hose going across the garden. I set one up when I’m away. Though thinking about it, I could just get a slimline waterbut and attach it to the greenhouse guttering that goes nowhere at the moment, cheers.

Back