C64 mini

Depends how many they make. If they do their research right it'll be fine (could say that with like anything really, even shite pretty much no-one wants) Regardless, it won't reach anywhere near the number of sales of the mini nes/snes, especially with that price tag...imo.

Last edited:

NES Is only popular in the Uk due to pop culture. They were massively outnumbered by the 8 bit computers in this country. Even the SNES was rarer than having an Amiga or (shit) Atari st. This ‘nostalgia’ for NES games, and to a certain degree SNES, is entirely manufactured in the present day. Of course there were kids with those consoles, but they were in the minority. 1 of my mates had a SNES, but literally all of them had an Amiga (and a shitload of pirated games). Computers were far and away the popular way to experience games in the Uk, pretty much until SEGA gained a foothold with the megadrive (and I’d argue that was largely down to how good fifa was, and appealing to the British teenager). I’d argue that consoles only really gained prominence with the arrival of the PS1 in the mid 90s. Until that point most kids were doing their gaming on a computer.

C64 sold less than half of the SNES, not to mention a lot of those who had it early on will have died from old age by now (just kidding :lol: ).

I had both but have absolutely no interest in either of them now. Good for a half hour nostalgia trip but that's about it.

great argument until you realise kanye west has outsold bruce springsteen :lol::lol:

great argument until you realise kanye west has outsold bruce springsteen :lol::lol:

That only really works when you say, "but *insert whatever* sold more - therefore it's the best. It's usually soment shite like FIFA or Justin Bieber.

I'm not disucissing what's best (I liked them both in different eras). Basically "Will the mini C64 be popular?" and I don't think it will :neutral:

NES Is only popular in the Uk due to pop culture. They were massively outnumbered by the 8 bit computers in this country. Even the SNES was rarer than having an Amiga or (shit) Atari st. This ‘nostalgia’ for NES games, and to a certain degree SNES, is entirely manufactured in the present day. Of course there were kids with those consoles, but they were in the minority. 1 of my mates had a SNES, but literally all of them had an Amiga (and a shitload of pirated games). Computers were far and away the popular way to experience games in the Uk, pretty much until SEGA gained a foothold with the megadrive (and I’d argue that was largely down to how good fifa was, and appealing to the British teenager). I’d argue that consoles only really gained prominence with the arrival of the PS1 in the mid 90s. Until that point most kids were doing their gaming on a computer.
Seeing as the megadrive was released before the SNES I think your mind is playing tricks on you. Or maybe that's not what you meant reading it back...

In the 80s it was all speccy and c64 in the UK. Then the Amiga too over. NES was released in the UK at a similar time to the Amiga iirc and wasn't as good, mainly bought for kids who hadn't previously had a computer if I remember right.

Megadrive did well and so did the SNES and both had better graphics than an Amiga. Then the PS1 happened after the Saturn was largely ignored and the rest is history.

Seeing as the megadrive was released before the SNES I think your mind is playing tricks on you. Or maybe that's not what you meant reading it back...

In the 80s it was all speccy and c64 in the UK. Then the Amiga too over. NES was released in the UK at a similar time to the Amiga iirc and wasn't as good, mainly bought for kids who hadn't previously had a computer if I remember right.

Megadrive did well and so did the SNES and both had better graphics than an Amiga. Then the PS1 happened after the Saturn and was largely ignored and the rest is history.

Poor Dreamcast, always forgotten.

commodore was of course shite. Nostalgic rose tinted glasses on for anyone buying one of those. Nes games are still decent and look good.

This is correct. I don't think the C64 will sell all that well because it doesn't have that.

It has nostalgia from those in their 40s, but I don't think it has that hook into younger people that Nintendo has.
Oh it does have that, the C64 was very popular in the UK,NES wasn't. Which itself came out at a similar time to the C64 making those people 40ish too. C64 is still very much in pop culture, especially in the UK today where NES just never registered

commodore was of course shite. Nostalgic rose tinted glasses on for anyone buying one of those. Nes games are still decent and look good.
C64 and Amiga were THE beat systems and games when new

Last edited:
Oh it does have that, the C64 was very popular in the UK,NES wasn't. Which itself came out at a similar time to the C64 making those people 40ish too. C64 is still very much in pop culture, especially in the UK today where NES just never registered
Mate, is simply doesn't. It might in your old man brain, it's not to a broader audience.

If I ask my 11 year old and his mates to name some NES games they'll do it no bother, they will have likely played some.

I'd me surprised if half know what a C64 is, and if they do they aren't going to be able to name any game.

"the C64 was very popular in the UK,NES wasn't."

You're right, it was popular. Back in the 80s.

It's going to sell okay with geeky 40somethings like yourself that are after a bit of nostalgia, it will sell a few to people in their spenky 30somethings like me. It won't sell to the 20somethings, teens, or kids though.

Nintendo's characters stayed relevant, even if a 20 year old never played the legend of Zelda or Mario on the NES they probably have played a sequel since. They'll recognise ice climbers, even if they never heard of the game, because Nintendo shove them into Smash Brothers, same could be said for Ness, Lucas, Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon.

C64 has.......bubble bobble...maybe? Robin of the wood isn't shifting units. None of the young'uns are hankering for sentinel.

I asked my kid if he new what a commodore 64 was while typing this. "A what 64?" Was the response. Then I asked him what a NES was, he rolled his eyes and said "Nintendo Entertainment System".

That's why the NES mini shifted massive units, and the C64 mini will be niche as fuck.

Mate, is simply doesn't. It might in your old man brain, it's not to a broader audience.

If I ask my 11 year old and his mates to name some NES games they'll do it no bother, they will have likely played some.

I'd me surprised if half know what a C64 is, and if they do they aren't going to be able to name any game.

It's going to sell okay with geeky 40somethings like yourself that are after a bit of nostalgia, it will sell a few to people in their spenky 30somethings like me. It won't sell to the 20somethings, teens, or kids though.

Nintendo's characters stayed relevant, even if a 20 year old never played the legend of Zelda or Mario on the NES they probably have played a sequel since. They'll recognise ice climbers, even if they never heard of the game, because Nintendo shove them into Smash Brothers, same could be said for Ness, Lucas, Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon.

C64 has.......bubble bobble...maybe? Robin of the wood isn't shifting units. None of the young'uns are hankering for sentinel.

I asked my kid if he new what a commodore 64 was while typing this. "A what 64?" Was the response. Then I asked him what a NES was, he rolled his eyes and said "Nintendo Entertainment System".

That's why the NES mini shifted massive units, and the C64 mini will be niche as fuck.
I agree totally mate. It’s a sad rewriting of history, but testament to the job Nintendo do with their IPs.

The very fact the the C64 always appears in articles even today about nostalgic game systems and active user groups all over the world proves your talking shite. It's that nostalgic connection that is going shift units and this company thinks so too. Your objections are factually wrong and irrelevant anyway.

Back