C64 mini

The very fact the the C64 always appears in articles even today about nostalgic game systems and active user groups all over the world proves your talking shite. It's that nostalgic connection that is going shift units and this company thinks so too. Your objections are factually wrong and irrelevant anyway.
I’m not sure he’s talking shite mate. He makes a valid point about Nintendo IPs. I really don’t think the c64 thing appeals to anyone other than those of us who were there at the time, or real nostalgia nerds. The games included have no cultural weight, and started and ended on the c64, or the 8 bit era. They did the same with a recent release of a spectrum thing, and that went very quiet very quickly.

It’s not a comment on the quality and fun of gaming on the c64, rather a comment on marketing power.

C64 and Amiga were THE beat systems and games when new
They were, they just aren't relevant today.

I hammered my Amiga, I had a play through of Lemmings on an emulator a few months back and had a blast.

The dizzy series, Captain Planet, Bart Vs the space mutants (how the fuck did I clock that as a kid? It bent me over and had its way with me when I tried a few months back), shoot em up, street fighter 2, monkey island, and many more.

To this day when I watch the lads come out I think of this :lol::

I’m not sure he’s talking shite mate. He makes a valid point about Nintendo IPs. I really don’t think the c64 thing appeals to anyone other than those of us who were there at the time, or real nostalgia nerds. The games included have no cultural weight, and started and ended on the c64, or the 8 bit era. They did the same with a recent release of a spectrum thing, and that went very quiet very quickly.

It’s not a comment on the quality and fun of gaming on the c64, rather a comment on marketing power.
That's my point. Nostalgic people will buy this. People don't stop having wallets after the age of 18

I hammered my Amiga, I had a play through of Lemmings on an emulator a few months back and had a blast.

The dizzy series, Captain Planet, Bart Vs the space mutants (how the fuck did I clock that as a kid? It bent me over and had its way with me when I tried a few months back), shoot em up, street fighter 2, monkey island, and many more.

Dizzy pissed all over Mario 3 the week they were both released in the Uk.

That's my point. Nostalgic people will buy this. People don't stop having wallets after the age of 18
But it won’t be the clamour that the mini nes (artificially) created.

They are relevant as a retro system for the people who loved the systems when new. I doubt very much the C64 mini is being pushed as a new thing to young audiences. It's aimed at nostalgic people

The very fact the the C64 always appears in articles even today about nostalgic game systems and active user groups all over the world proves your talking shite. It's that nostalgic connection that is going shift units and this company thinks so too. Your objections are factually wrong and irrelevant anyway.
It's a nostalgic connection with people that feel nostalgic about it. It doesn't have the draw outside of that.

What proportion of those 45 year olds that had one of these will want one today?

Half, 10%, 5%, 1%, less?

I gave my initial thoughts on the first reply, I've expanded on my reasoning. Nostalgia won't be enough to shift Nintendo numbers.

You can't say I'm factually wrong since the thing has sold fuck all so far, and hey, I'll be the first to put my hands up and say I'm wrong if it does sell shit loads.

I've used critical thinking rather than my own nostalgia to suggest otherwise.

They are relevant as a retro system for the people who loved the systems when new. I doubt very much the C64 mini is being pushed as a new thing to young audiences. It's aimed at nostalgic people
That's why it won't shift anywhere near NES/SNES mini numbers.

And it is an attempt to get on that bandwagon.

It's a nostalgic connection with people that feel nostalgic about it. It doesn't have the draw outside of that.

What proportion of those 45 year olds that had one of these will want one today?

Half, 10%, 5%, 1%, less?

I gave my initial thoughts on the first reply, I've expanded on my reasoning. Nostalgia won't be enough to shift Nintendo numbers.

You can't say I'm factually wrong since the thing has sold fuck all so far, and hey, I'll be the first to put my hands up and say I'm wrong if it does sell shit loads.

I've used critical thinking rather than my own nostalgia to suggest otherwise.
Enough of them to warrant making and selling them. Which they have and are. The proof is in the pudding and they are going on sale

Dizzy pissed all over Mario 3 the week they were both released in the Uk.
I was embarrassingly bad at that when I emulated it too.:oops:

Eggsonlegsicanfly still worked though. :lol:

Enough of them to warrant making and selling them. Which they have and are. The proof is in the pudding and they are going on sale
I'm not saying it's not going to shift a single unit you dolt. I'm saying it's not going to be anywhere near as successful as Nintendo's minis.

The proof will be in the pudding if they aren't selling for ridiculous money on eBay or in CEX.

Have you invested money into this or something?

Last edited:
I'm not saying it's not going to shift a single unit you dolt. I'm saying it's not going to be anywhere near as successful as Nintendo's minis.

The proof will be in the pudding if they aren't selling for ridiculous money on eBay or in CEX.

Have you invested money into this or something?

Actually your opening comment said "Seems like a shite idea to me tbh. Commodore doesn't have the pop culture clout Nintendo does."
Which clearly implies you don't think the C64 mini will sell, a fact your now U-turning on.
People will and do want them. So you're wrong and it's not a shite idea.
You're goalpost moving again. :lol:

Actually your opening comment said "Seems like a shite idea to me tbh. Commodore doesn't have the pop culture clout Nintendo does."
Which clearly implies you don't think the C64 mini will sell, a fact your now U-turning on.
People will and do want them. So you're wrong and it's not a shite idea.
You're goalpost moving again. :lol:

This isn't the same as not shifting a single unit. Only the most bizarrely literal of posters could think that, although your about a page away from pulling out your dictionary and pasting definitions. :lol:

40 somethings with a hankering for nostalgia, and to a much lesser extent 30 somethings will buy it.

Will the guys selling it make a profit? I'm really not sure, I certainly wouldn't have invested my savings in it, take that as a no if you wish.

However I will state (again): Commodore don't have the pop culture clout Nintendo have.
They are not relevant today in the way Nintendo are. This won't shift anywhere near NES or SNES mini numbers.

As an aside: I just did a YouTube search for "Commodore 64" and sorted by views, the most viewed video had an impressive 2.5 million views.

Look at the title :lol::

This isn't the same as not shifting a single unit. Only the most bizarrely literal of posters could think that, although your about a page away from pulling out your dictionary and pasting definitions. :lol:

40 somethings with a hankering for nostalgia, and to a much lesser extent 30 somethings will buy it.

Will the guys selling it make a profit? I'm really not sure, I certainly wouldn't have invested my savings in it, take that as a no if you wish.

However I will state (again): Commodore don't have the pop culture clout Nintendo have.
They are not relevant today in the way Nintendo are. This won't shift anywhere near NES or SNES mini numbers.

As an aside: I just did a YouTube search for "Commodore 64" and sorted by views, the most viewed video had an impressive 2.5 million views.

Look at the title :lol::

Interesting video, it explains why the C64 was very colourful yet "blocky" whereas the speccy seemed higher res yet had colour clashes.

Just like with the various speccy ideas people have had recently, I don't get the point.
The games have all aged horribly and are almost zero fun today. And you can do it all for free, on a phone or PC anyway.

pretty much until SEGA gained a foothold with the megadrive (and I’d argue that was largely down to how good fifa was, and appealing to the British teenager).
Mega Drive was out for 3-4 years before FIFA came out. tbh, it was on its way out by that time. I remember EA Soccer being announced - we were finally getting a good football game on the mega drive as other fooy games had been shite.
They eventually made Sensi for it too, which was a decent port, but nothing like the Amiga.

Last edited:
Just like with the various speccy ideas people have had recently, I don't get the point.
The games have all aged horribly and are almost zero fun today. And you can do it all for free, on a phone or PC anyway.
Because it's going to shift a bazillion units or something.

the Saturn was largely ignored and the rest is history.
Sega killed sega
To be precise, Sega America and Sega Japan fought eachother to the point of destroying the company.

The Mega CD and 32X were a disaster that should never have happened - a new console was the answer, but they totally fucked up

Because it's going to shift a bazillion units or something.
Thing is, none of them ever did. They barely even got to market - which is amazing considering how easy it would be to make these days. Pennies.

Last edited:
Sega killed sega
To be precise, Sega America and Sega Japan fought eachother to the point of destroying the company.

The Mega CD and 32X were a disaster that should never have happened - a new console was the answer, but they totally fucked up
I agree. I can see the point of mega cd, as back then everyone wanted to play with full motion video. The 32x was pointless though and far too close to the Saturn to make it worthwhile.

In 1991 the mega CD was a huge jump, not so much by the time it got to the UK, still though, compared to the 32x....

Last edited:
I agree. I can see the point of mega cd, as back then everyone wanted to play with full motion video. The 32x was pointless though and far too close to the Saturn to make it worthwhile.
Sega America wanted the Mega CD and 32X, Sega Japan wanted a new console that would have been better all round (addons retained limitations from the base console).
But America thought the game catalog made it worth going the addon route.

It wasn't.
Ultimately, it killed Sega. The Saturn was ruined by the 32X, and the momentum was gone. By the time the Dreamcast came along, it was already all over.

Sega America wanted the Mega CD and 32X, Sega Japan wanted a new console that would have been better all round (addons retained limitations from the base console).
But America thought the game catalog made it worth going the addon route.

It wasn't.
Ultimately, it killed Sega. The Saturn was ruined by the 32X, and the momentum was gone. By the time the Dreamcast came along, it was already all over.
How come they released the mega CD in Japan in 91 then?

Back