C64 mini

C64 sold less than half of the SNES, not to mention a lot of those who had it early on will have died from old age by now (just kidding :lol: ).

I had both but have absolutely no interest in either of them now. Good for a half hour nostalgia trip but that's about it.

Last edited:
Naa C64 was extremely popular in the UK, and had a cult status. C64 and SNES were completely different eras 8-bit v 16-bit, and separated by a decade '82 v '92. It's silly to compare them. In the early to mid 1980's Britain you either had a C64 or a Spectrum which were extremely popular, everything else amounted to a tiny fraction compared to those (BBC-B, Amstrad, Electron, Atari 2600 and weird consoles). 16-Bit consoles and computers came later (Amiga '87, Atari ST, SNES '92)
Because you can run an emulator on a computer, these sorts of things are mostly useless.

C64 sold less than half of the SNES, not to mention a lot of those who had it early on will have died from old age by now (just kidding :lol: ).

I had both but have absolutely no interest in either of them now. Good for a half hour nostalgia trip but that's about it.
2 completely different systems, the c64 was one of the best selling home computers at the time as well.

2 completely different systems, the c64 was one of the best selling home computers at the time as well.

I wouldn't say completely different like, still both gaming platforms for most people. Also the numbers still account for if it's popular not. And going by them it would be less than half of the SNES. Then accounting for age, the quality of the games, graphics etc. I honestly don't think this mini C64 will do that well.

Naa C64 was extremely popular in the UK, and had a cult status. C64 and SNES were completely different eras 8-bit v 16-bit, and separated by a decade '82 v '92. It's silly to compare them. In the early to mid 1980's Britain you either had a C64 or a Spectrum which were extremely popular, everything else amounted to a tiny fraction compared to those (BBC-B, Amstrad, Electron, Atari 2600 and weird consoles). 16-Bit consoles and computers came later (Amiga '87, Atari ST, SNES '92)
Because you can run an emulator on a computer, these sorts of things are mostly useless.
World wide the Atari 2600 sold 30million units. The C64 sold 12-17 million.

Unless you're a Brit in your 40s the C64 mini probably isn't a draw. As you say, it's easily emulated.

I wouldn't say completely different like, still both gaming platforms for most people. Also the numbers still account for if it's popular not. And going by them it would be less than half of the SNES. Then accounting for age, the quality of the games, graphics etc. I honestly don't think this mini C64 will do that well.
Different eras as well. It's like comparing the ps4 to the ps1, wonder which one is better?

Tbh, I was only comparing them due the just released SNES mini. Better to compare it with the 8-bit Master System and NES. The latter acquiring sales of 62 million, far more popular than the C64 thus the mini NES being a good idea. The C64..not so much.

btw the SNES is easily emulated an all, don't really see how it's any different. People will still buy the SNES mini though because a lot of the games still hold up, sort of. The C64 doesn't, and I can't imagine many people wanting it to code either.

Different eras as well. It's like comparing the ps4 to the ps1, wonder which one is better?

See above. Plus I'm not saying it's better, I loved my C64...at the time, I'm just saying why the SNES mini will be sort of popular and the C64 mini won't, and is largely unnecessary.

Last edited:
Tbh, I was only comparing them due the just released SNES mini. Better to compare it with the 8-bit Master System and NES. The latter acquiring sales of 62 million, far more popular than the C64 thus the mini NES being a good idea. The C64..not so much.

btw the SNES is easily emulated an all, don't really see how it's any different. People will still buy the SNES mini though because a lot of the games still hold up, sort of. The C64 doesn't, and I can't imagine many people wanting it to code either.

See above. Plus I'm not saying it's better, I loved my C64...at the time, I'm just saying why the SNES mini will be sort of popular and the C64 mini won't, and is largely unnecessary.
How many have been sold so far then?

World wide the Atari 2600 sold 30million units. The C64 sold 12-17 million.

Unless you're a Brit in your 40s the C64 mini probably isn't a draw. As you say, it's easily emulated.

We're all Brits here and sales of 17 million is a large number in any book. C64 was extremely popular here regardless of the even older Atari for 45 year olds. Both went into cult history.

We're all Brits here and sales of 17 million is a large number in any book. C64 was extremely popular here regardless of the even older Atari for 45 year olds. Both went into cult history.
It was the Spectrum and C64 (and to a lesser extent SNES) that directly killed the Atari 2600 in the early 80's in the UK as it was an older generation. In the US it was the C64, SNES and obscure systems. You can see where the sales flipped from one to the other
Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:

It was the Spectrum and C64 (and to a lesser extent SNES) that directly killed the Atari 2600 in the early 80's in the UK as it was an older generation. In the US it was the C64, SNES and obscure systems. You can see where the sales flipped from one to the other

Surely you mean the NES?

Surely you mean the NES?

In between the 2600 and C64 (as well as amstrad cpc 464), I had a Atari 800XL

Last edited:

That last graph is on this page http://www.pagetable.com/?p=547 which has it at the 12 million range. That's Wii-U numbers.

Surely you mean the NES?

In between the 2600 and C64 (as well as amstrad cpc 464), I had a Atari 800XL
I had the 600XL. I remember I got Pole Position but the computer didn't have enough memory. :lol:

That last graph is on this page http://www.pagetable.com/?p=547 which has it at the 12 million range. That's Wii-U numbers.
Back then that was a lot. Computers were expensive luxury items that geeky kids had. Computer games were considered a child's activity. A lot of old farts still think the same today.

Last edited:
Back then that was a lot. Computers were expensive luxury items that geeky kids had. Computer games were considered a child's activity. A lot of old farts still think the same today.
I'm well aware. My position through this thread has been that the a mini c64 doesn't have the mass appeal the mini NES or SNES have. You're kind of making my argument for me here mate.

I had a C64, it was my first computer. I also had an Amiga. While I loved them at the time I wouldn't buy a mini version of either.

If there hadn't been the NES shortage I may have picked one up as a snap purchase at the RRP though.

I'm well aware. My position through this thread has been that the a mini c64 doesn't have the mass appeal the mini NES or SNES have. You're kind of making my argument for me here mate.
Any my position is that the C64 was very popular in the US and Europe as a percentage of the market, enough to warrant producing the C64 mini.
The C64 mini will do fine.

Back