C64 mini

Thing with the Mega CD is that Nintendo did the same thing with Sony before sacking them off (and Sony turning that R&D into the PS1).

It probably seemed like a really good idea when the time.

Didn't they bring the release dates for both the Saturn and the Dreamcast forward so there was no third part support for months either?

I wish the Dreamcast was a success, because although the PS2 was my console of choice it always seemed like a great piece of kit.

Thing is, none of them ever did. They barely even got to market - which is amazing considering how easy it would be to make these days. Pennies.
A knarr man, just being a **** off the back of the debate with HM over the last few pages.

He's buying 800 himself to do his part in proving me wrong. :lol:

Last edited:

Thing with the Mega CD is that Nintendo did the same thing with Sony before sacking them off (and Sony turning that R&D into the PS1).

It probably seemed like a really good idea when the time.
SoNinteno was a full standalone console though, like Sega Japan were developing.
But Sega America wanted to go the addon route. Which was a mistake. The Mega CD was hobbled.
I bought one - and I don't think I ever bought a proper Mega CD game - total waste of time.

SoNinteno was a full standalone console though, like Sega Japan were developing.
But Sega America wanted to go the addon route. Which was a mistake. The Mega CD was hobbled.
I bought one - and I don't think I ever bought a proper Mega CD game - total waste of time.
I thought Nintendo's was an add-on too, I'll bow to your superior knowledge. ;)

i always lusted after the NEO GEO.

never even saw one in real life. the fact each game cost about the same as a normal console was a bit off putting like :lol:

remember some battle game being playe on gamesmaster and thinking it was like nowt i'd ever seen before
Fatal Fury? Was like Street Fighter 2 on speed.

I wonder if it's sold infinity units yet.
Eh?

This is correct. I don't think the C64 will sell all that well because it doesn't have that.

It has nostalgia from those in their 40s, but I don't think it has that hook into younger people that Nintendo has.
Nintendo still sell consoles now which helps keep them in the spotlight.

If commodore were doing other consoles, they'd still be as popular.

Actually your opening comment said "Seems like a shite idea to me tbh. Commodore doesn't have the pop culture clout Nintendo does."
Which clearly implies you don't think the C64 mini will sell, a fact your now U-turning on.
People will and do want them. So you're wrong and it's not a shite idea.
You're goalpost moving again. :lol:
Loads of people have bought one. Only problem is finding extra games to put on it.

Last edited:
Eh?

Nintendo still sell consoles now which helps keep them in the spotlight.

If commodore were doing other consoles, they'd still be as popular.

Loads of people have bought one. Only problem is finding extra games to put on it.
Not a chance. They simply didn’t have the massive IPs that Nintendo nurtured. From almost day one Nintendo had Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong etc, which would easily keep their company alive, even if they stopped producing consoles. Commodore were simply a hardware company, and thus easily superseded when a better hardware producer came along. Even Sony realised this and began introducing easily identifiable characters and game franchises.

Not a chance. They simply didn’t have the massive IPs that Nintendo nurtured. From almost day one Nintendo had Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong etc, which would easily keep their company alive, even if they stopped producing consoles. Commodore were simply a hardware company, and thus easily superseded when a better hardware producer came along. Even Sony realised this and began introducing easily identifiable characters and game franchises.
You don't know that for sure. What if there was a commodore wii or vr system under that name? they could be in the spotlight and still be as relevant now as they were years ago.

Aye, I knew they would like. ;)
They must all be 40+ year olds, who aren't into "pop culture" consoles though.

Last edited:

Back