Businesses can no longer charge extra if you pay by card

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sums it up perfectly. The Scandis choose to institutionalise their wealth, for the benefit of all, the Spaniards stuff cash in their pockets to benefit themselves.

The thought of being an institutionalised zombie does not appeal to me,
but everyone to their own I suppose.

need to stop all the fees when you buy concert tickets

And match tickets.

It's £1.25 per ticket at Sunderland. I bought 4 league cup and 4 FA Cup tickets once and was charged an extra £10 in booking fees. It was all one transaction and they were all loaded onto season cards so there was no postage or printing costs. I was proper vexed about that!

An easy way around it is to include the surcharge in the standard price and offer a discount for cash / bank transfer. I bought a chair online the other day where this happened. I took the bank transfer option for to get the 3% discount. Shame the bank wanted to charge me £30 for the (international) bank transfer mind.

Aye, it'll be a different story in 20 years time though, cash will stumble on until then. The people insisting on giving cash for the bonus ball will become the pain in the arse minority before then though.

Be a bit of a bugger for drug dealers in the future without cash.

As of January 2018.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40648641

I love this idea, I really do. Nothing pisses me off more than being told there's a card surcharge.

Nothing except, being told "There's a minimum £5 spend" which really grinds my gears.

And that's exactly what might happen. Places with a card fee will surely go back to minimum spends?

God, I can't believe I can look up the answer to any argument on the SMB from a device in my pocket that's also a GPS, telephone, camera, word processor, sends emails and sends music wirelessly to my headphones 15m away, but I can't buy a can of Coke on my card without paying extra.

Great.
The shop has to pay a monthly fee to rent the card machine and a surcharge for every transaction, how much profit do you think they make on a can of coke? Née wonder they get annoyed with peeps who think using a card for minor purchases is OK.

As of January 2018.

I love this idea, I really do. Nothing pisses me off more than being told there's a card surcharge.

Nothing except, being told "There's a minimum £5 spend" which really grinds my gears.

And that's exactly what might happen. Places with a card fee will surely go back to minimum spends?

God, I can't believe I can look up the answer to any argument on the SMB from a device in my pocket that's also a GPS, telephone, camera, word processor, sends emails and sends music wirelessly to my headphones 15m away, but I can't buy a can of Coke on my card without paying extra.

Great.

Bastard EU you voted to leave.

The shop has to pay a monthly fee to rent the card machine and a surcharge for every transaction, how much profit do you think they make on a can of coke? Née wonder they get annoyed with peeps who think using a card for minor purchases is OK.

Card payments are the future.

I don't like carrying cash. I don't want a pocket full of coins or a wallet full of notes - I want that money in my bank.

I accept smaller retailers will need to charge extra but card machines aren't expensive and banks shouldn't be charging such exorbitant surcharges that retailers feel the need to push prices up.

Cash is in the autumn of its life. I look forward to a cashless society.

I don't like carrying cash. I don't want a pocket full of coins or a wallet full of notes - I want that money in my bank.

I accept smaller retailers will need to charge extra but card machines aren't expensive and banks shouldn't be charging such exorbitant surcharges that retailers feel the need to push prices up.

Remember that bit in The Handmaid's Tale when all of their bank cards suddenly stopped working?

As of January 2018.

Great.

We pay about 90 quid a month for the privilege of having a card machine. I appreciate it brings more revenue in so we are pretty chilled about this charge. The problem lies when some scratter comes in and wants to use their card for a chuppa chupp lolly or a can of coke. When there is a proper cash machine a few doors down. "But but I canny take out a fiver and me giro isn't in yet".

So here lies the conundrum. Say the chuppa chupp is 20p. We get charged between 15-25p per transaction. If we didn't put a surcharge of 30p for any use of card under a fiver. We might as well be giving the lolly away for free.

So in conclusion. Wind yer neck in mate. You scratter ;)

Get a tenner out the cash point, then buy said Coke. No fees incurred.

Unless said person doesn't have a tenner in their account lol

Last edited:
Get a tenner out the cash point, then buy said Coke. No fees incurred.
Its common sense isn't it,hence the min transaction fee,get £30-40 out and spend it as and when.If you buy anything decent get your card out.Business's,small ones at least need cash,cash gets the bairn some kets or busfair or pays the window cleaner etc,lots pay up front for stuff to sell you then wait for payment off card companies.Bit like offering free postage a business waives costs as a way to get business but if people are daft there's no money in it

Rather they stopped those piss taking cash points charging.

Everyone knows real blerks use proper money.
Its only really the private ones doing it now
Putting them where banks can't be arsed to.

Last edited:

Spoken like a true poster boy of the new world order.

Cashless society will be the downfall of humanity.

What happens if the system crashes or the government withhold your funds for whatever reason they deem?

Spoken like a true poster boy of the new world order.

Cashless society will be the downfall of humanity.

What happens if the system crashes or the government withhold your funds for whatever reason they deem?

The government already freeze assets. If the system crashes you are indeed fucked, as you would be if the ATM system crashed.

Its common sense isn't it,hence the min transaction fee,get £30-40 out and spend it as and when.If you buy anything decent get your card out.Business's,small ones at least need cash,cash gets the bairn some kets or busfair or pays the window cleaner etc,lots pay up front for stuff to sell you then wait for payment off card companies.Bit like offering free postage a business waives costs as a way to get business but if people are daft there's no money in it

Its only really the private ones doing it now
Putting them where banks can't be arsed to.

I think we need to get to a point where the surcharges are minimal.

I have said in this thread abolishing the card charge will only result in shops recovering the money ankther way.

The government already freeze assets. If the system crashes you are indeed fucked, as you would be if the ATM system crashed.

I have said in this thread abolishing the card charge will only result in shops recovering the money ankther way.
Going into a shop is a two way transaction and the way its going the customer is getting 90% of the benefit and its a case of put up or shut up for shops.

But you can pop into the bank and see a person to get some money. Or you might have some stashed away. What would you do if the Internet went down or if there was a power outage?

Plus frijj you not said what you think of my Chuppa chupp story.

:lol:
Plenty skint people about ,that's as near as you'll get to cashless
Not remember the Northern rock people rushing to get their pretend money out of the bank?
Cash works because if you use it you understand its value.Most of our money problems lie in the fact we don't understand the basics
Loads of trade is done everyday in cash,its going nowhere

Keep a few 50's and 20's in your pocket, if they ask for a small fee, just bring out the big ones to pay, see what they say then?

Got on a bus, and it was about £3.50. I produced a tenner for the driver, he looked at it, and asked if I had anything else, so I offered him a twenty instead. He took the tenner !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back