Businesses can no longer charge extra if you pay by card

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:
Plenty skint people about ,that's as near as you'll get to cashless
Not remember the Northern rock people rushing to get their pretend money out of the bank?
Cash works because if you use it you understand its value.Most of our money problems lie in the fact we don't understand the basics
Loads of trade is done everyday in cash,its going nowhere

It will go the way of the dodo eventually

The middle aged John Smiths brigade will be seething

Will like

Maybe not in our lifetimes but the change is a-coming
So you reckon the British will stop minting Britannias, the South Africans will stop minting Krugerrands, and the Canadians will stop minting their Maple Leaves* etc.?

* Or is it Maple Leafs?

As of January 2018.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40648641

I love this idea, I really do. Nothing pisses me off more than being told there's a card surcharge.

Nothing except, being told "There's a minimum £5 spend" which really grinds my gears.

And that's exactly what might happen. Places with a card fee will surely go back to minimum spends?

God, I can't believe I can look up the answer to any argument on the SMB from a device in my pocket that's also a GPS, telephone, camera, word processor, sends emails and sends music wirelessly to my headphones 15m away, but I can't buy a can of Coke on my card without paying extra.

Great.
My son and I got back to Glasgow from Livingston last week and met up with my Mrs (no) and had a couple of drinks. Got to the point that I was running out of actual folding stuff and used the card. No difficulties until the other half (still no) didn't want a drink, so just me and the boy. The two drinks came to £8 ish. I was told that there was a ten quid minimum spend. Ended up having to get a third drink for her (see above) just to use the card. Ten f***ing quid, man! I've used my card in my most regular haunt at the moment and they don't give a shit if you buy a solitary drink or 40. No surcharge, no minimum spend.

My son and I got back to Glasgow from Livingston last week and met up with my Mrs (no) and had a couple of drinks. Got to the point that I was running out of actual folding stuff and used the card. No difficulties until the other half (still no) didn't want a drink, so just me and the boy. The two drinks came to £8 ish. I was told that there was a ten quid minimum spend. Ended up having to get a third drink for her (see above) just to use the card. Ten f***ing quid, man! I've used my card in my most regular haunt at the moment and they don't give a shit if you buy a solitary drink or 40. No surcharge, no minimum spend.
And they didn't offer to set up a bar tab for you for the evening, or didn't you look trustworthy enough?

Fuck that - that's why pork scratchings were invented

£19.95 a month hire for a terminal
0.15p per debit card charge
2.5% on credit cards

That's what world pay charge, we don't charge you for using a debit card like, but when we are taking thousands of pounds in one transaction, on a credit card at 2.5% then aye, we are going to pass on the fees.

If that comes in then we'll just have stop taking credit cards.

Not even when you hand over your debit/credit card as security?

What an unwelcoming place the UK has become (and, yes, I am currently running one up as I type). Perhaps folk would be better off just paying in cash ...
I've never known it be a thing over here tbh. I've never asked either mind.

£19.95 a month hire for a terminal
0.15p per debit card charge
2.5% on credit cards

That's what world pay charge, we don't charge you for using a debit card like, but when we are taking thousands of pounds in one transaction, on a credit card at 2.5% then aye, we are going to pass on the fees.

If that comes in then we'll just have stop taking credit cards.
We just switched cards at work from Visa to American Express. That in itself is bad enough as most small places don't take Amex, but now this is coming in, I reckon even more will drop them.

Downside of working for North American company :evil:

Not sure what the transaction charges are now but I used to pay over 20p a transaction. Some gonk coming in trying to buy a packet of tabs or a can of coke on a card would mean the transaction fee taking up any profit. Things might have changed in the last 7 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back