Businesses can no longer charge extra if you pay by card

Status
Not open for further replies.

As of January 2018.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40648641

I love this idea, I really do. Nothing pisses me off more than being told there's a card surcharge.

Nothing except, being told "There's a minimum £5 spend" which really grinds my gears.

And that's exactly what might happen. Places with a card fee will surely go back to minimum spends?

God, I can't believe I can look up the answer to any argument on the SMB from a device in my pocket that's also a GPS, telephone, camera, word processor, sends emails and sends music wirelessly to my headphones 15m away, but I can't buy a can of Coke on my card without paying extra.

Great.

No, it's really bad. There's a reason the card companies have lobbied so hard for this and used whatever commercial leverage they have to get these provisions. They've been sued by merchants for literally billions of dollars in the U.S. regarding them using their market power to force this provision. Basically, this absolutely screws small businesses, and large ones with significant percentages of their transaction volume on cards just pass the costs right back to consumers, so you end up paying anyway.

Wey if you've got no cash and need a minimum spend then it's one way around the problem.
James, sort your life out and just go to the cash machine first ffs. You live in big cities and everything. :lol:
Honestly. Young'uns today. Shambolic.

As of January 2018.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40648641

I love this idea, I really do. Nothing pisses me off more than being told there's a card surcharge.

Nothing except, being told "There's a minimum £5 spend" which really grinds my gears.

And that's exactly what might happen. Places with a card fee will surely go back to minimum spends?

God, I can't believe I can look up the answer to any argument on the SMB from a device in my pocket that's also a GPS, telephone, camera, word processor, sends emails and sends music wirelessly to my headphones 15m away, but I can't buy a can of Coke on my card without paying extra.

Great.
Good. This is my pet hate as I pay for pretty much everything by card like most people probably do these days, and if businesses add surcharges on for using one I just make a mental note never to bother giving them business again. They might think it's good business penny pinching and charging people an extra 30-50p, but for me it'll cost them a lot more by losing my repeat custom by being f***ing greedy wankers.

Who should pay the card fee for your card purchase?
The business, obviously. You're already paying well over what they paid for the same product from their supplier so why should you pay extra again for giving them the benefit of your custom?

Last edited:
People are forgetting that cash isnt free for business either. On top of bank charges, theres the insurance premiums.

It will go the way of the dodo eventually

The middle aged John Smiths brigade will be seething
Something real in your hand will disappear in place of a Trust me guvner you'll get your money pretend transaction ? okay doke
Its fine when it all works,we've had card machine outages for a day and yeah we may not have sold the item but the card only punter needed us more than we needed him.
The way things are going,world order wise we could be doing things very old school in quite a short space of time.Even just economic scares like Greece recently showed how quickly credit cards can become non usable
More a Peroni,Leffe man myself,nowt warm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back