Businesses can no longer charge extra if you pay by card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuck off with your common sense solutions.

The shopkeeper should feel honoured, having Frijj's 80p.

There's often no cash point around local village centres though. Our local shop charges 50p for card transactions no matter how much you spend. It's nothing but greed really and I loath the odd time I've had to pay.

Does it not cost businesses getting their cash to their bank and in to their account? (actually don't know how this bit works)
It does, but suspect a lot of local places won't cost for time counting/banking etc....as they are in the shop anyway.

It does, but suspect a lot of local places won't cost for time counting/banking etc....as they are in the shop anyway.
Seems strange to me. They are saving time on counting it up, bagging it and transporting it to the bank. Unless they walk to the bank, there's fuel costs an arl.

Who should pay the card fee for your card purchase?

My opinion is that the retailer is getting additional business with no risk of default (the card company carries the risk of non-payment by the customer) and so they benefit from spending that may not have otherwise happened. I think the retailer should therefore pay the fee but I'm aware that opinions will vary.

They can always refuse credit card payments, I don't think most debit cards carry the same fees, or at least they didn't, not sure about now. That's the problem, we become accustomed to getting a bad deal and it becomes accepted practice.

By the same token customers can opt to pay with cash or debit card, but businesses would lose out because customers lose spending power.

It's about time they got rid of cash like. Even the vending machines at work have a car machine built in now.

Completely? What about things like the bonus ball sweepstake at work? Or slipping a couple Ayrton's in a birthday card? Will always need some cash.

Completely? What about things like the bonus ball sweepstake at work? Or slipping a couple Ayrton's in a birthday card? Will always need some cash.

You could easily do a sweepstake without cash. As for money in a birthday card, aye that would stop, you could just give them a top up code to top up their money card.

It's coming, it'll take a long time, too many old people, but electronic transactions have overtaken cash transactions already.

Why does anyone use them ?

There are more around that don't charge.
When I lived down Deerness Park in Hendon the closest cash points were all ones that charged. There was one in the post office on Villette road that didn't charge or town if I wanted a free withdrawal. That was pretty rank, I worked down Littlewoods at the time so was stuck paying fees a lot, and that could mount up in cost across the month.

Things seem to have moved on a bit since then thankfully.

This will simply cause prices to increase, victory all around!

When it feeds through to inflation it can be blamed on Brexit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back