Bulk cooking and freezing

I didn't make it, and not sure if it's proper panackalty!!1! but she seemingly just tossed sausages, corned beef, onions, peas, turnip, brocolli, etc, altogether with potatos over the top. Think the gravy had worcester sauce in it... could be wrong, like :eek:

Fills a hole like, quick, cheap and pretty healthy :D
Hearty perhaps, I dinnar about healthy.

A mate of mine is into this.

He's an absolutely abysmal cook, truly awful. I don't know if the two are linked.

Overcooked meat in coloured water seems to be his thing.

a nar a nar mumsnet this shit etc etc

But before a spell in Hospital last month I made loads of chilli, Bolognese, curry etc and portioned them up and filled the freezer. Now I’m thinking this is the way forward for the winter months

Anyone else do this? If so any other ideas for cooking and freezing for later

Nowt better than sticking it in the microwave, see it steaming thinking its finished, sitting down and diving into ice after a couple of gobfulls :lol:

Bit of everything. Make a batch up and freeze it into smaller portions in those disposable takeaway cartons.

Have some chicken and mushroom risotto, beef Madras, Cajun chicken & chorizo Alfredo and some chilli lasagne in the freezer atm.

We do (she does) this every few weeks. Massive slow cooker of chili or bolognese lasts weeks. In the winter we also do soups, broths, panackalty, cottage pies etc.
I haven’t read the whole thread, I just got as far as you freezing panac and instantly thought about blocking you! Food of the gods and so easy to make. Like fuck does it need freezing and reheating!

Things we regularly freeze , bolognaise , chilli , stews , the stuffing for stuffed peppers, meatloaf in slices , cooked rice , curries , southern baked chicken portions , fish fingers (home made) , fish cakes , burgers and on the rare occasion a cake or cheesecake is made freeze slices of that too

a nar a nar mumsnet this shit etc etc

But before a spell in Hospital last month I made loads of chilli, Bolognese, curry etc and portioned them up and filled the freezer. Now I’m thinking this is the way forward for the winter months

Anyone else do this? If so any other ideas for cooking and freezing for later
For the standard stuff yes I do exactly those 3.
I find getting your three big pots ready with all of your flavoring in then have 1 big wok and then sweat onions split 3 ways, the peppers mushrooms etc. Finally the mince split across the 2, normally do chicken curry so just put that in.

Takes about 2 - 2 1/2 hours to make about 12 meals for 2

Shepard's pie works, just do your mash, can freeze on top if you like though.
Lasagne (cooked :) ) freezes really well to if you do lots and lots of bolognase
With the left over Christmas turkey Oliver's recipe is class and you can freezer that the same way and just have it as a not a pie, pie with pastry on top

I've bought a chest freezer to go in the shed for this reason, so the days Im at work can just whack it in the microwave . Can even parboil veg and freeze that in portions for extra laziness :lol:

As much as i love the hot weather Nd the bairn being off school it's going to be good back in a routine . One day every few weeks I just spend all day in the kitchen and do about 5 different meals and get about 6 portions out of each . Home bargains is the best place for foil containers , for extra organisation write calories and macros on the kids aswell.

Most have been mentioned already, curry, chilli, lasagne, bolognaise, meatballs, cottage pie, soups, stews. Not a big fan of the slow cooker so find this loads better than putting that on and dishing up after work. Can even freeze York's pudding batter so don't have to cook up loads of them every time I make it for just the 2 of us

Things we regularly freeze , bolognaise , chilli , stews , the stuffing for stuffed peppers, meatloaf in slices , cooked rice , curries , southern baked chicken portions , fish fingers (home made) , fish cakes , burgers and on the rare occasion a cake or cheesecake is made freeze slices of that too
Cakes taste better defrosted

Last edited:
I've bought a chest freezer to go in the shed for this reason, so the days Im at work can just whack it in the microwave . Can even parboil veg and freeze that in portions for extra laziness :lol:

As much as i love the hot weather Nd the bairn being off school it's going to be good back in a routine . One day every few weeks I just spend all day in the kitchen and do about 5 different meals and get about 6 portions out of each . Home bargains is the best place for foil containers , for extra organisation write calories and macros on the kids aswell.

Most have been mentioned already, curry, chilli, lasagne, bolognaise, meatballs, cottage pie, soups, stews. Not a big fan of the slow cooker so find this loads better than putting that on and dishing up after work. Can even freeze York's pudding batter so don't have to cook up loads of them every time I make it for just the 2 of us

Cakes taste better defrosted
You might want to keep an eye on it if we get temperatures like we did this summer. Has a chance to overheat.

Back