Bulk cooking and freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a slow cooker's worth of bolognese on Sunday, should be good for a fair few dinners. Job lot of chilli con carne tonight.

We do (she does) this every few weeks. Massive slow cooker of chili or bolognese lasts weeks. In the winter we also do soups, broths, panackalty, cottage pies etc.

Got a decent recipe for this? Made it for the first time a couple of months back and wasn't massively impressed with it.

Got a decent recipe for this? Made it for the first time a couple of months back and wasn't massively impressed with it.
Brown some Cumberland sausages.

Slice up some onions, carrots and potatoes. Cube some corned beef. Chop up ya sausages. Layer them in a casserole dish. Salt, black pepper, and fill with gravy. Lash it in the oven for a few hours.

Mix two parts self raising flour to 1 part suet. Pinch of salt, bit pepper if ya want, splash of water. Mix to a firm dough. Divide it into balls and hoy them in for the oven for the last half hour.

Serve. And don't worry about leaving any for freezing 'cos it's ower lush to not have 2nds n 3rds.

Buttered stottie/white bread to mop up is optional.

Slice up some onions, carrots and potatoes. Cube some corned beef. Chop up ya sausages. Layer them in a casserole dish. Salt, black pepper, and fill with gravy. Lash it in the oven for a few hours.

Mix two parts self raising flour to 1 part suet. Pinch of salt, bit pepper if ya want, splash of water. Mix to a firm dough. Divide it into balls and hoy them in for the oven for the last half hour.

Serve. And don't worry about leaving any for freezing 'cos it's ower lush to not have 2nds n 3rds.

Nee bacon?

I do this, just as much muck on making one meals worth as it is to do a load, freezer is full of easy meals just needing some rice or pasta cooking up.

Cheers, did mine with mince rather than corned beef and essentially layer of mince / other ingredient mix, layer of potato etc etc.

Cheers, did mine with mince rather than corned beef and essentially layer of mince / other ingredient mix, layer of potato etc etc.
Aye, that's where ya went wrong hew. :lol:

Me mam always used to put bacon in hers. Saying that, I don't think the SMB have ever agreed on a definitive panack recipe.
I'd never heard of bacon in it 'til I saw it on here. Same goes for black puddin. Me mate's gran puts baked beans in her's - outrageous. But aye, it's def one of those where every house has their own. Corned beef, onion, carrots and taties is the purist form. I just like me Cumberlands in there too.

Last edited:
a nar a nar mumsnet this shit etc etc

But before a spell in Hospital last month I made loads of chilli, Bolognese, curry etc and portioned them up and filled the freezer. Now I’m thinking this is the way forward for the winter months

Anyone else do this? If so any other ideas for cooking and freezing for later

Curry works well frozen to eat later

Hairy bikers books have a few good ones

Nee black pudding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back