Building A Championship Squad

He's one of very few that might, at a push, step up to the Championship. He'd require some good coaching, a couple of decent centre halves and a decent midfielder to help him out. So there's three players you'd need already just to accommodate young (is 23 that young?) Denver.

I'd imagine Johnson would back himself to be able to develop the player. I don't think anyone thinks we can go up and compete as we are, but theres lads that can remain part of the squad picture a level above. If we do go up, I'd imagine LJ would want to keep Wyke around given his goals to games ratio since he began as manager.

Loris Karius
Seamus Coleman - Ben Davies - Dion Sanderson - Denver Hume
Alexandre Phliponeau
Marc Albrighton - Lynden Gooch - Aiden McGeady
Daniel Sturridge - Jermain Defoe​

Subs:
  • Lee Burge
  • Bailey Wright
  • Jordan Willis
  • Luke 09
  • Charlie Wyke
  • Florian Thauvin
  • Will Grigg

Nailed on :cool:

I'd imagine Johnson would back himself to be able to develop the player. I don't think anyone thinks we can go up and compete as we are, but theres lads that can remain part of the squad picture a level above. If we do go up, I'd imagine LJ would want to keep Wyke around given his goals to games ratio since he began as manager.
:lol: Of course he would.

I think Wyke's the sort of player you keep around 'til Christmas then move on all being well. We'd absolutely need a new striker. It's hard to say as I've got a lot of time for the lad and that includes before this season, but sentimentality gets ya ya nowhere in football, and I'm as sentimental as they come.

So that's at least one striker.
A keeper's a must.
A good, strong centre half
A right back
Some strength in midfield
Some quality on the ball in midfield
A decent winger/forward or two.

And that's to get ya to January.

The squad needs near enough a whole overhaul, there’s not many of the players we have will be anything but relegation fodder if we go up.

I think it would be too much to do to get promoted after 1 season but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t look to strengthen. Sustainability keeps being mentioned so we need to look at younger players with potential resale value, mixed with some experienced championship journeymen. We also need to use loan system smartly, we have a decent record for improving youth players so we need to see what prospects we can bring in for the premier league.

I think we have to be smart and patient and think of long term success rather than short term success.

At the risk of getting wayyyyy ahead of ourselves, what are the restrictions on putting a squad together over a summer transfer window?

I know that cap has gone in our league - and rightly so - but I dinnar what's in place in the one above nowadays. What's to stop a side doing like what the mags did a few year ago and buying promotion?
You don't buy promotion, you buy a chance of promotion. Villa outspent everybody and didn't go up.
We need to remember there's no guarantees.

You don't buy promotion, you buy a chance of promotion. Villa outspent everybody and didn't go up.
We need to remember there's no guarantees.
Absolutely. I just wasn't sure if anything had been introduced to curb your spending since then.
The squad needs near enough a whole overhaul, there’s not many of the players we have will be anything but relegation fodder if we go up.

I think it would be too much to do to get promoted after 1 season but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t look to strengthen. Sustainability keeps being mentioned so we need to look at younger players with potential resale value, mixed with some experienced championship journeymen. We also need to use loan system smartly, we have a decent record for improving youth players so we need to see what prospects we can bring in for the premier league.

I think we have to be smart and patient and think of long term success rather than short term success.
All very true.

Whilst it might be too much too soon to do it in one season though, you're talking about overhauling a squad and signing players on 2-3 year contracts. Nee point buying players to get you by. Look at players who you can do something with. Buy shite, ya buy twice. And that's an expensive thing in football.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I just wasn't sure if anything had been introduced to curb your spending since then.

All very true.

Whilst it might be too much too soon to do it in one season though, you're talking about overhauling a squad and signing players on 2-3 year contracts. Nee point buying players to get you by. Look at players who you can do something with. Buy shite, ya buy twice. And that's an expensive thing in football.
The threat of administration I suppose 😡

KLD has said a number of times he wants to build something sustainable. He has also said this is a long term rebuild. I take it he doesn't really want us to spend beyond our means (our income, not his trust fund). People might want to tone down their expectations re transfer spending or be disappointed.

The threat of administration I suppose 😡
Why would there be a threat of administration?
KLD has said a number of times he wants to build something sustainable. He has also said this is a long term rebuild. I take it he doesn't really want us to spend beyond our means (our income, not his trust fund). People might want to tone down their expectations re transfer spending or be disappointed.
Being sustainable in the Championship won't wash for very long. Something he might also want to consider.

Last edited:
Why would there be a threat of administration?

Being sustainable in the Championship won't wash for very long. Something he might also want to consider.
Yeah, I think he'll have no choice to spend a decent bit when we go up because we (like everyone else in L1) are total cack.

I agree with what you're saying. I just worry some people are going to give KLD shit when he's not buying 10m players left, right and centre.

All very true.

Sometimes that’s the lesser of 2 evils, if it was simple to get promoted all the teams would be doing it.

I think that’s why we need a mix of young players who hopefully have the potential to improve along with some journeymen who can help us get promoted then be cast off, and we would start again in the premier league trying to consolidate.

No right or wrong answers though

I really can’t see us suddenly throwing huge sums of money at the side over the summer . I’d be happy if we tried to build the club up steadily and on solid grounds. We’ve had enough of the mercenaries.
Exactly but it would be great wouldnt it ...

Hope KLD goes absolutely ballistic hoying his money about. Fuck slowly building a team, we've waited long enough watching shite.

Anyway, he hasn't come to Sunderland for the weather, I'm sure that he will do all he can to get us the best team he can as quickly as he can, otherwise what's the point in him being here? Gan on young Kyril get it spent!
That will expose us to players and agents taking the piss again. I say if you want to play for SAFC, prove it. No fence sitting. I hope he and his team are shrewd businessmen, formulate a viable plan and stick to it. Our foundation needs repairs and the relative inexpense of L1 will allow more money to be spent on underpinnings. Get the club ticking along like a Swiss watch and then mount a steadfast push upwards.
HTL

That will expose us to players and agents taking the piss again. I say if you want to play for SAFC, prove it. No fence sitting. I hope he and his team are shrewd businessmen, formulate a viable plan and stick to it. Our foundation needs repairs and the relative inexpense of L1 will allow more money to be spent on underpinnings. Get the club ticking along like a Swiss watch and then mount a steadfast push upwards.
HTL
Very few if any of the Man City team grew up supporting them and dreaming of playing for them. Professional footballers are mercenaries, we just need to make sure that we sign good mercenaries and avoid the arseholes. Lets face it, few will come just for the love of the club.

Loris Karius
Seamus Coleman - Ben Davies - Dion Sanderson - Denver Hume
Alexandre Phliponeau
Marc Albrighton - Lynden Gooch - Aiden McGeady
Daniel Sturridge - Jermain Defoe​

Subs:
  • Lee Burge
  • Bailey Wright
  • Jordan Willis
  • Luke 09
  • Charlie Wyke
  • Florian Thauvin