Building A Championship Squad

Brentford are a very different club to Sunderland and with very different expectations. Do you think we/KLD can afford to spend seven seasons in the Championship?

Can we afford to throw money at something with no foundations and implode again would be my question?

I’m not sure what you mean by can we afford to as a club like Sunderland anyway...

Can we afford to throw money at something with no foundations and implode again would be my question?

I’m not sure what you mean by can we afford to as a club like Sunderland anyway...
What more foundation do we need?

We never really imploded anyway - we were badly managed.

Eleven years outside the Premier League for a club this size would be a joke, and very costly in terms of lost revenues and lost support.

"If" we go up, I'd love to think we'll invest heavily and build for a quick charge to the PL, sadly, i think this is highly unlikely and people expecting this are most probably going to be disappointed.

KLD and Speakman have already eluded to the fact that we are going to be building a structure to develop players, and that we'll search Europe with a data driven approach to finding players we can mould into our system. We're most likely going to spend money on some decent pro's and youth, but there's little hope of us blowing £10m+ on "named" players and offering £50k a week salaries, etc. I still think it will be a busy and exciting window whatever happens.

Stop all this daydreaming lark. Start a thread when/if promoted. Been here too many times .FTM
:lol: Can't win here like. Either I'm a negative bastard whose glass is always half empty, or I'm friggin' Daydream Believer.

The thread was to discuss the plausibility of a rebuild that will allow us to compete, as well any limitations that might be imposed by the league.

I'd like to think we are already scenario planning and have strategies in place for either Championship rebuild or a L1 rebuild.

For a L1 rebuild I'd imagine would be looking at renewing current player contracts, key prem loans, free agents, key L1 performers who wont be promoted.

For the Championship I would've thought we'd still renew a couple of existings, try for Sanderson on a permanent, prem and championship standard free agents and a bigger budget for permanent signings.

I really can’t see us suddenly throwing huge sums of money at the side over the summer . I’d be happy if we tried to build the club up steadily and on solid grounds. We’ve had enough of the mercenaries.
I agree about the mercenaries but would like us to chuck a bit of money about to get the brightest of young talent around.

It's an SAFC football forum mate. People want to talk about SAFC and their future prospects
Have you got the Tues.EURO lottery numbers to go with your dreams. Been supporting this lot far too long. Why not future Champions League finals we will win in future.

Last edited:
Spending money for the sake of spending money isn't a good idea either.

Buying an entirely new squad isn't realistic imo, and not what's required. A couple of quality additions in the positions that need it most, and a couple of decent loans would be a good start.

Hopefully the scouting system will be good; not just for quality players but also the right type of characters for the squad.

Like the attitude :cool:

Hopefully see a couple of young French players come in and make a mark for themselves.
What's the score re work permits for EU players post Brexit. You'd imagine that KLD would have contacts in Belgium and France but can you even get permits for these players now? There's a criteria involving the number of games played depending on the standard of the foreign league or something of that ilk. Could make wholesale changes tricky unless you go down the free agent route, which looks like being more popular with players and agents in the future.
You're not really building anything if you go down the loans route but some of the prices for young players from champions League teams are crazy. £15m-£25m for a kid who is never going to get into their first team is just offensive. Maybe need to look at 22 to 24 year olds with first team experience at League One or Championship level. Of course there is no exact formula.
I think the longest we've ever been out of the top flight is seven seasons. I expect that ship has already sailed. Realistically from this base I think it will be 4 or 5 seasons in the Championship before we can sensibly challenge for promotion to the Premier League, hopefully by then the youth team is producing first team ready talent.
Of course if, as rumoured, half of the Championship clubs are on the bones of their arses it might not cost too much to buy a Championship ready team this summer. They'll be trying to reduce their cost base whilst we'll be starting almost from scratch.
Interesting times hopefully.

What's the score re work permits for EU players post Brexit. You'd imagine that KLD would have contacts in Belgium and France but can you even get permits for these players now? There's a criteria involving the number of games played depending on the standard of the foreign league or something of that ilk. Could make wholesale changes tricky unless you go down the free agent route, which looks like being more popular with players and agents in the future.
You're not really building anything if you go down the loans route but some of the prices for young players from champions League teams are crazy. £15m-£25m for a kid who is never going to get into their first team is just offensive. Maybe need to look at 22 to 24 year olds with first team experience at League One or Championship level. Of course there is no exact formula.
I think the longest we've ever been out of the top flight is seven seasons. I expect that ship has already sailed. Realistically from this base I think it will be 4 or 5 seasons in the Championship before we can sensibly challenge for promotion to the Premier League, hopefully by then the youth team is producing first team ready talent.
Of course if, as rumoured, half of the Championship clubs are on the bones of their arses it might not cost too much to buy a Championship ready team this summer. They'll be trying to reduce their cost base whilst we'll be starting almost from scratch.
Interesting times hopefully.
Not sure regarding work permits, however I'm sure we're in safe hands getting them processed and approved. The basic formula for league 1 and the championship is "big fast and strong" and we'll have plenty of takers. Bang on when you say players from the championship, good ones as well who are 2nd or 3rd choice, plus our wealth is known by all. We're not the retirement home anymore, we're a very attractive club for player who needs to prove a point like Sanderson is doing right now. Not saying we can cherry-pick players, but I can safely say we'll not get gazumped by MK dons again. Defoe is a must try to sign and so is keeping McGeady. These boys haven't got 4-5 years to wait, they want the Premier again before they sign off, would be a lot of fun trying with us again Jermaine!

Back