Building A Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on what our level of ambition is. If it's (as I expect) to just stay up in the first season, we have plenty of players who can step up. The bottom of the Championship is pretty woeful, there's a lot of teams barely surviving down there. There's no reason why a lot of our players wouldn't be able to do a job, provided we sort out key problem areas in the team (keeper, right-back, central midfield). If you're able to bring back Jones and Sanderson, that would be a very good start.
It's needs to be higher than that.

Step up to where? And when?

If we were to go up, we'd need Championship quality players immediately, and lots of 'em.

If we were to go up, we'd come stright back down if we don't.
Spot on mate,i have been banging on for ages about this.Any attempt to just slightly adjust what weve got will be disastrous.As you say we need quality players and lots of them.

If we go up we should be positioning ourselves to get the best available PL loans, as it's by far the cheapest way to get good championship talent, thinking Harvey Barnes at WBA, Abraham at Bristol City, Oliver Skipp at Norwich, Harvey Elliot at Blackburn etc.

With our facilities, stadium and a manager with a reputation of developing loan players we should be at the front of the queue for the best young talent the PL want to loan out. Use of this along with a few smart buys of our own to supplement is a chance to progress without being silly and chucking money at it.

Last edited:
At the risk of getting wayyyyy ahead of ourselves, what are the restrictions on putting a squad together over a summer transfer window?

I know that cap has gone in our league - and rightly so - but I dinnar what's in place in the one above nowadays. What's to stop a side doing like what the mags did a few year ago and buying promotion?
So the mags are our model now?

Nowt to stop us, but the owner has said that’s not the plan. He’ll invest, but sensibly and in the right age group.

So the mags are our model now?

Nowt to stop us, but the owner has said that’s not the plan. He’ll invest, but sensibly and in the right age group.
No.
You conveniently missed the 15 year gap.. :lol:

15 years of this dross, mate I have no idea where you get the enthusiasm/gumption from.
Not sure what you mean here. It worked didn't it. It got us up - enjoyably so. And we stayed up - enjoyably so. That was a solid grounding for a ten year stint in the Premier League.

'Crafty' premier league loans and bargain buys certainly served us well the last time we entered into a Championship season.

Last edited:
Hope KLD goes absolutely ballistic hoying his money about. Fuck slowly building a team, we've waited long enough watching shite.

Anyway, he hasn't come to Sunderland for the weather, I'm sure that he will do all he can to get us the best team he can as quickly as he can, otherwise what's the point in him being here? Gan on young Kyril get it spent!

It's needs to be higher than that.

We'll need to spend to get further, but again, I'd be a lot more focused on bringing in a couple of quality additions, rather than looking to rebuild the entire squad. Use the loan market well and make sure we bring in players in those key positions, but we'll be okay. A lot of players will be perfectly fine in squad roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back