Building A Championship Squad

At the risk of getting wayyyyy ahead of ourselves, what are the restrictions on putting a squad together over a summer transfer window?

I know that cap has gone in our league - and rightly so - but I dinnar what's in place in the one above nowadays. What's to stop a side doing like what the mags did a few year ago and buying promotion?

At the risk of getting wayyyyy ahead of ourselves, what are the restrictions on putting a squad together over a summer transfer window?

I know that cap has gone in our league - and rightly so - but I dinnar what's in place in the one above nowadays. What's to stop a side doing like what the mags did a few year ago and buying promotion?
Don't think there's anything really

I'd like to think we're able to get a balance of players that are able to step up as well as forking money out. Definitely doesn't guarantee success, if you look at what the likes of Derby have chucked at it over the past 10+ years.
Step up to where? And when?

If we were to go up, we'd need Championship quality players immediately, and lots of 'em.
I really can’t see us suddenly throwing huge sums of money at the side over the summer . I’d be happy if we tried to build the club up steadily and on solid grounds. We’ve had enough of the mercenaries.
If we were to go up, we'd come stright back down if we don't.

Step up to where? And when?

If we were to go up, we'd need Championship quality players immediately, and lots of 'em.

If we were to go up, we'd come stright back down if we don't.

Not necessarily. As long as we recruit sensibly we don’t have to spend fortunes to stay up. If we splashed the cash and the worst happened and we went back down, we’d be back to square one.

Players that have done a decent job for us at this level, the likes of Denver Hume - young enough with the scope to develop further.
He's one of very few that might, at a push, step up to the Championship. He'd require some good coaching, a couple of decent centre halves and a decent midfielder to help him out. So there's three players you'd need already just to accommodate young (is 23 that young?) Denver.

It depends on what our level of ambition is. If it's (as I expect) to just stay up in the first season, we have plenty of players who can step up. The bottom of the Championship is pretty woeful, there's a lot of teams barely surviving down there. There's no reason why a lot of our players wouldn't be able to do a job, provided we sort out key problem areas in the team (keeper, right-back, central midfield). If you're able to bring back Jones and Sanderson, that would be a very good start.

As others have said, it really depends on the immediate goal. If we want a proper build and are prepared to spend, let's say, 3 seasons in the Championship we should be able to build a team capable of starting that process for a relatively modest spend. A Β£10M spend and crafty use of the loan system should get you up the league and away from trouble no bother considering what we already have.

The way we have suffered coming down, it's obvious you need some different players in both the prem/championship differential and the L1/championship one. So players def. needed to get us competing if we go up next year, (watching Wycombe's lack of success) and more obv., the great leap to the rich boys league. Buying cast offs works to some extent, going by the rate of failure of some teams but using your own unique players also has a use if we examine the 1st years spent in the Prem. by several recent promoted teams. Hopefully that might help us in the Championship too. Scouting is obv. KLD's other useful asset he's trying to develop in those plans.

As others have said, it really depends on the immediate goal. If we want a proper build and are prepared to spend, let's say, 3 seasons in the Championship we should be able to build a team capable of starting that process for a relatively modest spend. A Β£10M spend and crafty use of the loan system should get you up the league and away from trouble no bother considering what we already have.
We would need over ten players that barely gets you anything these days

It depends on what our level of ambition is. If it's (as I expect) to just stay up in the first season, we have plenty of players who can step up. The bottom of the Championship is pretty woeful, there's a lot of teams barely surviving down there. There's no reason why a lot of our players wouldn't be able to do a job, provided we sort out key problem areas in the team (keeper, right-back, central midfield). If you're able to bring back Jones and Sanderson, that would be a very good start.
I dinnar if we have like. It would be a long season with some of these lads. It's long enough now.

No thanks.

Back