Building A Championship Squad

He's one of very few that might, at a push, step up to the Championship. He'd require some good coaching, a couple of decent centre halves and a decent midfielder to help him out. So there's three players you'd need already just to accommodate young (is 23 that young?) Denver.

He's one of very few that might, at a push, step up to the Championship. He'd require some good coaching, a couple of decent centre halves and a decent midfielder to help him out. So there's three players you'd need already just to accommodate young (is 23 that young?) Denver.
We have no idea of we'd need a couple of centre halves. Haven't seen enough of Xhemajli to know of he can step up but I expect that both he and Wright are capable.

More interested in a decent right back and a completely new midfield, (apart, arguably, from O'Nien).

Last edited:

I'd like to think we are already scenario planning and have strategies in place for either Championship rebuild or a L1 rebuild.

For a L1 rebuild I'd imagine would be looking at renewing current player contracts, key prem loans, free agents, key L1 performers who wont be promoted.

For the Championship I would've thought we'd still renew a couple of existings, try for Sanderson on a permanent, prem and championship standard free agents and a bigger budget for permanent signings.
This. Speakman will already have two lists of players. One for L1 and one for Championship.

We'll need a total overhaul if we go up like.

We have no idea of we'd need a couple of centre halves. Haven't seen enough of Xhemajli to know of he can step up but I expect that both he and Wright are capable.

More interested in a decent right back and a completely new midfield, (apart, arguably, from O'Nien).
Right back is essential. I think midfield is even more important though. Winchester, Scowen and Power could be part of a squad but don’t see any as first choice in championship to be honest and suspect O’Nien will continue to be utilised as Jack of all trades. Minimum of two quality midfielders needed.

I forgot he existed to be honest.Totally untested in this country.

Bailey Wright doesn't convince me at all, but then again he's got a fair bit of Championship experience.

We've needed a decent right back since Chris Makin to be honest.

There's no argument where O'Nien's concerned. He's not a Championship player.

Right back is essential. I think midfield is even more important though. Winchester, Scowen and Power could be part of a squad but don’t see any as first choice in championship to be honest and suspect O’Nien will continue to be utilised as Jack of all trades. Minimum of two quality midfielders needed.
Scowen is out of contract thank god,as is Power .

There would be a load of new players needed. Think people are overestimating some of them cos we are on a good run

We need to get few signed to new deals and i’d like to have these around the squad:

Hume
Wright
Wyke
Mcgeady
Diamond
Gooch

Burge maybe as a backup.

Even 5 of them are out of contract. Add jones and sanderson (cant see it though) and it would be a good start

Personally dont think the likes of power, flanagan, mclaughlin, o’brien are anywhere near championship standard

We definitely need a rebuild to survive but there are examples of essentially lower league squads being successful. Some of our younger players should be able to step up and players like McGeady could perform if used sparingly. Sanderson and Jones would be useful. First and foremost it will be a great test of our managers potential to put a viable squad together without spending a fortune.

I genuinely think that, outside of McGeady and Sanderson (who is not even ours), that we would need to improve on every single member of the squad if we were to go up and be competitive.

We would be in a serious relegation scrap IMO.

I genuinely think that, outside of McGeady and Sanderson (who is not even ours), that we would need to improve on every single member of the squad if we were to go up and be competitive.

I think hume (in time) will be fine

Gooch, 09, Wright as squad players. You say wyke deserves a chance. Even out of them 7, 5 are out of contract end of the season.

As it stands we’ve probably not got a single championship standard player

Need some very clever acquisitions or we’ll be straight back down again

Even McGeady must be coming close to reaching his shelf life.

He’s quality in this league but he wasn’t that good in last spell on that league and we had a much better supporting cast

Aye Hume, Willis if fit, Wright, onien, Jones if signed, sanderson if signed are the only ones I'm confident would be useful. Mcgeady, gooch , power, scowen, Wyke could be squad fillers but overall we'd need alot of reinforcements

At the risk of getting wayyyyy ahead of ourselves, what are the restrictions on putting a squad together over a summer transfer window?

I know that cap has gone in our league - and rightly so - but I dinnar what's in place in the one above nowadays. What's to stop a side doing like what the mags did a few year ago and buying promotion?
Look at Barnsley essentially the same team as league one

Young players with a sell on value will be the name of the game. Develop them and sell at a decent profit, big youth overhaul IMO. Look at the clubs like Arsenal, ManU, Citeh and Chelsea who are realeasing some of their young talent at 19 and sign them up.
This will take a few years, so in the meantime, I think we will have many a loan with a smattering of who we have now.

I think with a few experienced pros in the midfield, a good keeper and a top Centre forward then we’ll be top half/ challenging for the playoffs

Last edited:

Back