Budget and transfer

I think they’ll be willing to invest and spend money but only if they see it as an investment. Therefore they’ll spend on young players who can develop. They won’t spend much, if anything, on players in late 20’s with no resale value or potential profit unless they are a real bargain.

If we can get a couple of experienced championship players on bosmans, sign some young players with potential and some good loans we’ll be in a good place.

TV Revenue goes up £6-7m and a lot of that will be swallowed up by wage increases. We’ll see a slight increase in gate receipts but that doesn’t make a huge difference. I’d be surprised if it’s more than £5m.
Yep I'd agree.
The club's who spend the big money either have parachute payments or owners willing to take losses. We'll lose money with a modest 5m spend.

i think it's really simple.

If they have an option to buy a young player with real first team prospects on a long term deal with resale value it's an investment and they will pay it.
I don't think money is the issue - it will be sticking to a solid sustainable plan.
I see Jude Bellingham being the first of those signings.

We are in a much better position than many championship teams are financially and in terms of infrastructure and crowd size / Matchday revenues.
And when it comes to loan signings we are a very attractive proposition for Premier League club players.

Also with Brexit we have more options from other parts of the world and i'm sure our scouting network has been hard at work identifying potential signings.

I'm more confident of a transfer process than i have ever been in the history of our club.

The squad players we have retained are really invested in AN's style of management and the club generally

Exciting times finally.
Feels like a new beginning!

Your post is nearest the mark. We'll not be slow to fork out (within reason) on players we can develop and stand a good chance of getting a return on. We've already been doing this: the players we bought last season (as opposed to loans & frees) are: Cirkin, Huggins, Matete, Hume, Gyimah, and Roberts. All except Roberts are developing players 21 or under.

Anyone have an idea on budget. What transfer target we should be going in for?
Depends on ownership being sorted as to what funds are available.

Then it would depend on whatever (KLD, I hope) wants to put into the club or make available.

So, short answer no one knows. But youd assume it would be bigger if the 2 chancers cashed out
Think we need a few clubs to get point deductions to have any hope of staying up without significant investment

Last edited:
No idea. But if we are serious about making a challenge to get back to the prem, I'd say we need to have 10 million available.
Spending money doesn't always mean success, but the quality of free's and 200k transfers in the championship will be fewer.

I'd take a top 10 next season, then a serious push for top 2 the next season.

I think Stuart the recruitment fella will have been sat on his laptop ages ago printing off some lists

1) list of out of contract championship players

2) out of contract bottom end prem players (for a few punts late on in window to see if can catch one on cheap, stick on a 3 year deal and sell under contract in a year. )

3) those players with good performance stats in championship but in final year of contract

He will have gone to Alex Neil with a 'can you make a team from list 1' ?

That'll be the Plan A speakman referred to.

If worst comes to worst then dipping into list 3 and a few cheeky punts at list 2. All suplimemented of course by fighting it out with ever other championship team for Premier league loans.

Avoiding fees at all costs.

Yep I'd agree.
The club's who spend the big money either have parachute payments or owners willing to take losses. We'll lose money with a modest 5m spend.

which is a bit worrying

I am not advocate of big spending but it does highlight the limitations of our owners

SAFC are shit scared of spending money I feel now, and just relate it to automatically being in financial trouble with losses, due to what happened when we came down.

Happy balance, also if you are investing in good players they become assets dont they?
I think Stuart the recruitment fella will have been sat on his laptop ages ago printing off some lists

1) list of out of contract championship players

2) out of contract bottom end prem players (for a few punts late on in window to see if can catch one on cheap, stick on a 3 year deal and sell under contract in a year. )

3) those players with good performance stats in championship but in final year of contract

He will have gone to Alex Neil with a 'can you make a team from list 1' ?

That'll be the Plan A speakman referred to.

If worst comes to worst then dipping into list 3 and a few cheeky punts at list 2. All suplimemented of course by fighting it out with ever other championship team for Premier league loans.

Avoiding fees at all costs.

It can be done, Pritchard and Roberts were good examples of talents who had slipped through the cracks for whatever reason

You just hope you can keep up that success rate

the big question is the standard of the champ, Pritchard looked class above in league one, will that be the case in the champ or will he just be on par.
i think it's really simple.

If they have an option to buy a young player with real first team prospects on a long term deal with resale value it's an investment and they will pay it.
I don't think money is the issue - it will be sticking to a solid sustainable plan.
I see Jude Bellingham being the first of those signings.

We are in a much better position than many championship teams are financially and in terms of infrastructure and crowd size / Matchday revenues.
And when it comes to loan signings we are a very attractive proposition for Premier League club players.

Also with Brexit we have more options from other parts of the world and i'm sure our scouting network has been hard at work identifying potential signings.

I'm more confident of a transfer process than i have ever been in the history of our club.

The squad players we have retained are really invested in AN's style of management and the club generally

Exciting times finally.
Feels like a new beginning!

aye you are right the first part, more likely to spend on those types than someone who can bring immediate success

If you think the club absolutely nails their 4 loan spots, talents from PL clubs, plus a couple like Broadhead and Roberts we already had

You might notbe looking at many others to buy at all, just a couple of someit.

I do think the club's priority will be the 4 loans, and the contacts theyve made with the top PL sides. I dont like the loan system myself mind.

Last edited:
We don’t need to spend big money to push on the in the championship. We need to be smart in the transfer market.

Let’s be realistic, we aren’t going to be pushing top 2 next year. So there’s no point hoying daft money about that’ll put us back into a shite position financially again.

Also, I’d hope that even if we were planning to spend a few quid we wouldn’t know about it. After years of having our pants pulled down for fees and wages, then I’d hope we’d be holding our cards close to our chest.

Back