Budget and transfer

We will look at getting likes of broadhead.clarke.gooch.roberts.wright sorted out first then turn to free transfer players.then we will no what we still need to bring in. I think we will spend around about 7 to 12 million quid

Listening to that it’s obvious there’s a plan in place which doesn’t involve spending big and realising getting promoted to the Premiership may take a bit of time.
I think we’ll see some good loan signings though, we’re now in a good place to take advantage of that.

It was just the idea that because it’s harder to get players from Europe now, that’s made it easier to get players from other parts of the world.
It actually has, it used to be that it was all based on international appearances for non-EU players, but now there's a points system that takes other things into account. In summary, it's much harder to bring in EU players but slightly easier to bring in non-EU players.

Need to nail down the contracts of our existing lot, add to with a few free transfers starting 1st July, a few key loans from PL then I can see us spending money on 2 or 3 players to occupy key positions - £6-8? Not including the free transfer signing on fees.

It needs to be £20m minimum

Ambition needs to be shown

We need to sign several good players who want to play for the club, if that is achieved only spending £1m then that’s fine.

£20m doesn’t ensure you sign the right players.

League One is the first place I’d look, some great prospects there.

Need to nail down the contracts of our existing lot, add to with a few free transfers starting 1st July, a few key loans from PL then I can see us spending money on 2 or 3 players to occupy key positions - £6-8? Not including the free transfer signing on fees.
You would think the transfer window would change along with the early start to the season, don’t we kick off on 30th July because of the World Cup? Would only give us 4 weeks to get players and bed them in?

Looking at our released players I’d say we need a keeper, a centre back, a left winger (preferably capable of playing both sides) and a striker.

Jack Clarke and Broadhead would solve two of those. An experienced older keeper on a one-year to provide cover and competition for Patterson and a decent centre back can likely be found well within our budget.

Last edited:
46 games every one of them tougher than the toughest from last season.

I hope (but doubt) its a fairly hefty wedge as once you list out the players who we are keeping, are good enough to be starters for an upper-mid championship side and can reliably play 35+ games a season we look a bit thin.

You would think the transfer window would change along with the early start to the season, don’t we kick off on 30th July because of the World Cup? Would only give us 4 weeks to get players and bed them in?

We can possibly agree/sign them before then but player contracts are 1st July - 30th June so can't see them changing that for one season, could be wrong like!

i think it's really simple.

If they have an option to buy a young player with real first team prospects on a long term deal with resale value it's an investment and they will pay it.
I don't think money is the issue - it will be sticking to a solid sustainable plan.
I see Jude Bellingham being the first of those signings.

We are in a much better position than many championship teams are financially and in terms of infrastructure and crowd size / Matchday revenues.
And when it comes to loan signings we are a very attractive proposition for Premier League club players.

Also with Brexit we have more options from other parts of the world and i'm sure our scouting network has been hard at work identifying potential signings.

I'm more confident of a transfer process than i have ever been in the history of our club.

The squad players we have retained are really invested in AN's style of management and the club generally

Exciting times finally.
Feels like a new beginning!
:lol: If only..

Back