Budget and transfer

which is a bit worrying

I am not advocate of big spending but it does highlight the limitations of our owners

SAFC are shit scared of spending money I feel now, and just relate it to automatically being in financial trouble with losses, due to what happened when we came down.

Happy balance, also if you are investing in good players they become assets dont they?

It can be done, Pritchard and Roberts were good examples of talents who had slipped through the cracks for whatever reason

You just hope you can keep up that success rate

the big question is the standard of the champ, Pritchard looked class above in league one, will that be the case in the champ or will he just be on par.

aye you are right the first part, more likely to spend on those types than someone who can bring immediate success

If you think the club absolutely nails their 4 loan spots, talents from PL clubs, plus a couple like Broadhead and Roberts we already had

You might notbe looking at many others to buy at all, just a couple of someit.

I do think the club's priority will be the 4 loans, and the contacts theyve made with the top PL sides. I dont like the loan system myself mind.
Yep it's just about making good sensible logical decisions, keeping the long term in mind. It wasn't the spending that messed us up, it was the bad decisions.

You are right, the club is scared to spend or can't do it. Leeds spent 7m on Bamford, the year before they went up.

The problem we have is we don't have anyone to sell on. And we're unlikely to unless we start to spend. The club should invest ambitiously but with due caution in this window and taper off spending after that, with assets to move on.

I think we'll spend around 7m.

I expect there will be one big deal of around 4-5m if the right player is there and they are young e.g. Sanderson.

Other that, loans and freebies, and a couple of 500k-1m purchases. But loans cost money too, if we want good ones.

I do think we'll see a fair few players come in.

I think we need, in order of priority

Centre back,
Central midfielder,
Striker,
Attacking midfielder (even if we do bring in Roberts/Clarke),
Goalkeeper
Another striker (if we don't bring Broadhead in),
Defensive midfielder,
Another centre back,
A left back.

Last edited:
Nowt. The £100m is what the team who wins will earn from the premier league the next season

So my question was what will we earn from being in the Championship, obviously not as much as the PL but more than L1?
Our 'value' certainly as a Club has gone up, but it should also reflect what we could spend or what the budget would be?
More than if we had stayed down for sure.

So my question was what will we earn from being in the Championship, obviously not as much as the PL but more than L1?
Our 'value' certainly as a Club has gone up, but it should also reflect what we could spend or what the budget would be?
More than if we had stayed down for sure.
about £6-7m more than league one. The majority of which will be swallowed up by the wage increases in the existing squads contracts

I think we'll spend around 7m.

I expect there will be one big deal of around 4-5m if the right player is there and they are young e.g. Sanderson.

Other that, loans and freebies, and a couple of 500k-1m purchases. But loans cost money too, if we want good ones.

I do think we'll see a fair few players come in.

I think we need, in order of priority

Centre back,
Central midfielder,
Striker,
Attacking midfielder (even if we do bring in Roberts/Clarke),
Goalkeeper
Another striker (if we don't bring Broadhead in),
Defensive midfielder,
Another centre back,
A left back.

We have, depending on your definition, either 5 or 7 centre mids and 1 centre forward. Why do you have it as less of a priority?
Jude Bellingham man what in the name of God is this lunatic smoking.

In case you dont know, he means jobe bellingham

Last edited:
We have, depending on your definition, either 5 or 7 centre mids and 1 centre forward. Why do you have it as less of a priority?

In case you dont know, he means jobe bellingham
You're absolutely right in terms of bodies.

But I put the positions I think we overwhelmingly need for the first XI at the top. I think we will absolutely need a quality experienced CM and a pacier CB. Urgently, otherwise long season ahead.

The curious thing about CF is that we have only one, but in my opinion he is one of only two players I am 100% sure will be consistently good players in the Championship. The lad needs back-up though, absolutely!

The other is Pritchard. Others will no doubt step up, but they are the only two close to bankers for me.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right in terms of bodies.

But I put the positions I think we overwhelmingly need for the first XI at the top. I think we will absolutely need a quality experienced CM and a pacier CB. Urgently, otherwise long season ahead.

The curious thing about CF is that we have only one, but in my opinion he is one of only two players I am 100% sure will be consistently good players in the Championship. The lad needs back-up though, absolutely!

The other is Pritchard. Others will no doubt step up, but they are the only two close to bankers for me.

I get what youre saying. I dont think we will sign a centre midfielder unless we sell one.

Half of our squad are central midfielders currently.

Back