Boro and wycombe suing Derby County

What happens if Derby are liquidated because nobody will take the risk of falling foul of any litigation? Boro and Wycombe don't get a penny and loads of innocent people lose their livelihoods. Boro and Wycombe then get what from the situation? They don't get money but the nice, warm fuzzy feeling of wrecking people's lives?

All for what?

Derby County's previous owners have got themselves into one hell of a mess. People shouldn't go trying to blame Boro or Wycombe as part of this mess, that lays at Derby County's doorstep.. They (Boro & Wycombe) didn't enter administration, Derby did. All Boro and Wycombe are doing is showing that Derby County's previous owner manipulated, bent, concocted a situation that was to the detriment of both Boro and Wycombe and other EFL clubs..

Last edited:
I actually agree with this. From what the Wycombe fans are saying it sounds like they have a decent case. Equally I don't dislike them over the PPG thing. I think it was a disgrace like but I firmly blame the EFL for it. They are meant to run the league, they should have decided how to finish it. Allowing clubs to vote when the majority had nowt to play for so might as well stop, and others would benefit from stopping, meant they just passed the buck for the decision which they knew was coming.

If we had been in Wycombe's position and we'd voted to play on I'd have questioned those running the club, their responsibility is to their club. Similar to how I'm a bit miffed that we seem to be one of the only clubs trying to play on (dropping vital points as we go) when we had the option to postpone. Teams should be forced to play, but if others aren't playing fair we shouldn't either. For both situations I blame the soft cocks at the EFL, not the individual clubs
You say you blame the EFL but the EFL is the clubs, same as people criticising the Premier League for postponing games, it's not the Premier League, it's the clubs. And that's why, per Tracey Crouch's review we need an independent body providing oversight. The clubs will always act in their best interests rather than what's best for the game.

What happens if Derby are liquidated because nobody will take the risk of falling foul of any litigation? Boro and Wycombe don't get a penny and loads of innocent people lose their livelihoods. Boro and Wycombe then get what from the situation? They don't get money but the nice, warm fuzzy feeling of wrecking people's lives?

All for what?
Wey that's just victim blaming.

Dont see how Boro are putting in for 30-40 million.
They would have had to play Leeds who they couldn't beat all season, and even if they did, they would have played Villa in the final who hammered them twice.

So gate receipts for the 4 semis would come to around 4 million , 50 % to the pot , and the other 50% ( 2 million) divided between Leeds, Boro, Villa and West Brom . £500,000 each.
If they had got to the final add maybe 3 million.

So 3.5 million tops. but more probable 500k. Doesn't seem worth the legal fees
If they had a 10% chance of winning the play-offs they would have received at least £100 million in the first season and even if they were relegated up to £90 million over the next 3 seasons in parachute payments. Had they not been relegated at least another £100 million for every successive season. Their players would also be worth more in the transfer market so £30-40 million is not unreasonable.
There has to be a greater deterrent. Ask Rangers what happened to them.

Boro's seems frivalous tbh as how does a playoff place earn 40-50 million?

Can see why Wycombe would be pissed off though.
Boro's claim is about how Mel Morris (I think thats the owner ) sold at inflated price the Baseball Ground back to himself, with the EFL approval, which gave Derby massive transfer pot to bank roll Lampard and Cocu s time there.

You say you blame the EFL but the EFL is the clubs, same as people criticising the Premier League for postponing games, it's not the Premier League, it's the clubs. And that's why, per Tracey Crouch's review we need an independent body providing oversight. The clubs will always act in their best interests rather than what's best for the game.
The clubs are governed by the EFL. They make the rules and the clubs adhere to them and are supposed to be punished when they don't.

Aye but the EFL could have had the foresight when Covid was first kicking off to get something agreed. It's pathetic asking clubs to agree something at that late stage in the season when they all knew how it would harm / benefit them. Once it got to the late stage that it did, there should have been an agreement that the EFL (who have access to financial information about the clubs) would judge which clubs actually couldn't afford to continue. Either way I think blaming Wycombe is harsh, again if we were in their position whereby we'd be in the play offs on ppg but were on a bad run and at great risk of missing out if the season completed, I think many of our fans would want us to do the same. Some wouldn't, some would want to maintain the integrity of the league etc but I reckon a majority would be saying that our club should vote in our interests so it feels churlish to blame Wycombe for doing exactly that

De

All for what?
Derby ain't going anywhere.

Too big a club.

Can't see this going anywhere tbh. Didn't Bournemouth try and aye the Premier League when the goal that should have stood didn't get given against Villa due to Hawkeye not working and that would have kept them up.

Football has fucks up as over, be it incompetent officials, dodgy club owners, shot technology etc. Clubs get screwed out of points every week that could change the course of their season but you can't sue everytime.

De

Derby ain't going anywhere.

Too big a club.
One day a decent, historical club like Derby who have tried to buy success by allegedly illict means will go to the wall. You need to read up on Mel Morris...look at this for starters [Morris and Derby mentioned]....

One day a decent, historical club like Derby who have tried to buy success by allegedly illict means will go to the wall. You need to read up on Mel Morris...look at this for starters [Morris and Derby mentioned]....
One day.... Maybe.

All I've heard for the last 30 years is that football will eat itself and clubs will disappear, this opinion has been ramped up since the Covid situation.

Guess what, everyone is still going, only Bury have ceased to exist.

Either the owners of clubs lie about their financial situation or they have millions under their mattress.

Interesting article, thanks for the link.

All for what?
People loose their livelihood everyday because the firm they work for goes tits up, in many if not most cases this is down to poor management, sod all that can be done.

Could argue that if Derby get away with it, will give the green light to other clubs to play fast and loose

Levels of debt in the Championship are horrendous, as the lure of the premier league beckons.I think the whole league system needs looking at. Probably need a two division PL, think the parachute payment is really unfair on the rest of the championship (and beyond)

Boro finished 10th last season - 13 points off the playoff places and with 25 goals worse goal difference than 6th place Bournemouth

I don't understand what their angle is - how did Derby affect that?

Back