Becoming less of a fat bastard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, pay attention to your diet slightly.

Listen he's a big lad and like me, obviously likes his food. With him carrying that extra timber he shouldn't be worrying too much a out carb and calorie intake and more about pushing himself in the gym, as this is how he will lose the bulk, I reckon he can get down to 15stone before having to start watching his diet as long as he pushes himself to the limit when he trains and doesn't go through the motions.

That's the thing, you don't need to be running obscene amounts to lose weight, especially when you weigh as much as the OP. I'm not saying he has to be counting his carb/calorie intake, but paying a bit of attention to the diet as opposed to turning every training session in to a Rocky montage to ensure you're in a calorie deficit is a recipe for disaster.

For those who do not like training, it's far easier (for the dedicated determined few) to lose weight through adjusting diet. It's just training helps determine body composition particularly hoying weights about.

Think people would be surprised how few calories are burnt doing cardio. 30 minutes probably less calories burnt than what's in a Snickers bar.

For those who do not like training, it's far easier (for the dedicated determined few) to lose weight through adjusting diet. It's just training helps determine body composition particularly hoying weights about.

Think people would be surprised how few calories are burnt doing cardio. 30 minutes probably less calories burnt than what's in a Snickers bar.

I agree completely with this. Say you have a piece of cake that's ~300 calories. What's easier - eat the cake then run for 30 minutes or so to burn it off, or just not eat the cake in the first place? Personally I prefer to skip the cake, but that might just be me.

I agree completely with this. Say you have a piece of cake that's ~300 calories. What's easier - eat the cake then run for 30 minutes or so to burn it off, or just not eat the cake in the first place? Personally I prefer to skip the cake, but that might just be me.

Agree with this, my old boss used to run up 5 flights of stairs all day just so she could eat a mars bar on her break. She was fat as fuck.

Not taking anything away from you conrad mate as you've done well to shift a few stone! But you sound like a sadist with all that running. He could easily lose as much weight as you suggest just by making a few small changes to his diet.

My advice would be to look closely at what you eat for a few weeks, and make small regular changes, like exchanging a bag of crisps with lunch to a fruit salad etc. This will be much easier than just going cold turkey instantly but will quickly add up to a huge lifestyle change. The first steps the hardest, but soon it becomes second nature!

Eat less bread.
Calorie intake is irrelevent to weight loss, it depends on what type of calories they are.
Don't eat after 9pm.
Cut down on other carbs.
Diet coke doesn't help you lose weight.
Kettlebells are git mint.

Just a few things i've learned from Ross and Titus since joining up on here. Seems good advice like.

Calories are just a measurement of energy. Calorie intake is key to weight loss.

This is totally correct. It's about making choices, if you eat shit and work out loads you will loose weight but not half as quick as if you eat better and work out.

I think there is often a miss conception that eating healthy is eating nothing but lettuce and cucumber all day, every day. Thats not true at all, its all about cutting out shit like, crisps, fizzy drinks and takeaways. You dont have to eat like a saint to eat well, just use a bit of common sense and cut out the crap from your diet.

Only drinking when out, and cutting out drinking at home is always a good starting point.

Listen he's a big lad and like me, obviously likes his food. With him carrying that extra timber he shouldn't be worrying too much a out carb and calorie intake and more about pushing himself in the gym, as this is how he will lose the bulk, I reckon he can get down to 15stone before having to start watching his diet as long as he pushes himself to the limit when he trains and doesn't go through the motions.

who are u like forest gump?

u will be massive again soon when u get bored of running miles on a treadmill every day and havent made the lifestyle changes to sustain a healthy body weight.

who are u like forest gump?

u will be massive again soon when u get bored of running miles on a treadmill every day and havent made the lifestyle changes to sustain a healthy body weight.

Nope I started a local job in january and started CrossFit in February and my weight hasn't went up so a big fook you

You're clueless mate. Best of luck, you'll need it.
Don't understand how Im clueless when my methods work! I've been training for well over a year now and kept a decent weight without giving up the beer or starving myself with the fad diets, enlighten me???? Numpty

Numpty?

Your words:
"With him carrying that extra timber he shouldn't be worrying too much about carb and calorie intake and more about pushing himself in the gym....... I reckon he can get down to 15stone before having to start watching his diet as long as he pushes himself to the limit when he trains and doesn't go through the motions"

Will this method work? Possibly.
Is it the most effective or healthiest or safest method? Definitely not.
Is it a method that can be continued long term? Definitely not. It is a fad routine, just like a fad diet would be.

Telling someone who is overweight not to worry about what they eat is ridiculous. It is over-eating that has led them to be overweight in the first place therefore this has to be the main issue to address.
Does exercise play an important part in the process? Absolutely. But saying that it's all about 'pushing yourself to the limit' in the gym makes you sound like the fat birds at work who go on a Ryvita diet to starve themselves whilst not moving a muscle. Too much of one or the other is plain unhealthy and unsustainable.

If it has worked for you, well done. You've lost weight and went about it the most difficult way possible. 10 points for effort. 1 point for intelligence.

What worked for me, will work for him, no point him starving himself as hell only binge eat, if he trains hard the weight will drop off.
when he reaches a point where he stays at a certain weight but he still wants to lose more, then hell have to change his diet but no way does a lad close to 20stone need to be dieting as well training to lose weight.
Excess fat is there to be burned

I'm certainly no expert but surely the argument of changing diet vs working out is entirely dependent on current diet and lifestyle.

For example if you eat a mars bar washed down with a coke from a vending machine for lunch then that's gonna be around 500 calories. My heart monitor tells me an hour of cardio/plyo hits about 800-900 so effectively having a bottle of water and a sandwich for lunch nearly DOUBLES the value (ie deficit) of your exercise instantly. Basic example I know, but pretty much says "If your diet is shitty then your exercise program is shitty too".

The flip side is obviously if your diet is 'okay' but a sedentary lifestyle has turned you to a lot of wobbly flab then getting some muscle tissue as fast as possible will actually increase the fat burning rate of your body if you do alter your diet/start a cardio program later?

Personally I am just going with a mixture of regular exercise and cutting out the really dumb and pointless things like crisps, biscuits and sugary stuff without giving up my beloved, if somewhat experimental, cooking. It's not fast (unintentional pun) but its dropping my weight.

no way does a lad close to 20stone need to be dieting as well training to lose weight.
:confused:

I'm sure it would help loose weight quicker.

Anyway, there is a difference between dieting and eating properly. You dont have to starve yourself or give up on the food/drink you enjoy just cut back on the crap and use common sense.

no way does a lad close to 20stone need to be dieting as well training to lose weight.

Someone who is 20 stone shouldn't bother dieting to lose weight?

I'm amazed. Please tell me I'm the unsuspecting victim of a massive whoosh here? Somebody?

Conrad mate, sometimes during a debate you get to the point where you know that it is impossible to speak sense to someone. I'm there with you.

Mux signing off.

Someone who is 20 stone shouldn't bother dieting to lose weight?

I'm amazed. Please tell me I'm the unsuspecting victim of a massive whoosh here? Somebody?

Conrad mate, sometimes during a debate you get to the point where you know that it is impossible to speak sense to someone. I'm there with you.

Mux signing off.

:lol: Ye tried like marra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back