Becoming less of a fat bastard

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand it (and its a long time since I did biochem) it all comes down to the fact the cells in your body want to 'burn' a compound called ATP, so the "good" and "badness" of calories is effectively the difficulty with which your body can convert the raw calories you stick down your gullet into ATP.

If you are eating a whole load of sugary crap then that sugary crap is very easy to turn into ATP so you body will use it preferentially, and because you were evolved over millions of years/designed last tuesday to survive it'll even store some of it as glycogen and fat.

If on the other hand you eat a whole load of wax fruit by mistake (since calorie content is measured by burning in a bomb calorimeter it would have a high calorie content but your body wouldnt be able to use them at all) you body will preferentially burn its own stores of energy - ie fat.

So different calories consumed have different results.

So basically as far as dieting is concerned "good" calories are going to be hard to turn into ATP - protein and manky long chain carbohydrates (fibre) and bad is short chain, high energy stuff like sugar, alcohol and petrol.
Man work is boring today.
Well thanks all - sort of makes sense too.

Portion control and not eating after 6 is fine

You can still eat crap now and again

Cutting out late night food helped me, although I still get hunger urges at 11-12

How does one combat this then? I reckon I eat more calories in shite sitting late at night than I do all day. Last night for example, between 10 and 1, I had about 12 biscuits, two slices of chocolate cake, and a bit of cheese.

How does one combat this then? I reckon I eat more calories in shite sitting late at night than I do all day. Last night for example, between 10 and 1, I had about 12 biscuits, two slices of chocolate cake, and a bit of cheese.

Evaluate overall caloric intake and/or food choices. When dieting I will opt for more high volume foods through the day and then save my ice cream until late at night but I'm usually not hungry afterwards.

Will power
Got none. Thing is, I'm reasonably fit: cycle, footy, run, and I eat reasonably healthy, but I equalise it all with late night snacking. My weight never changes, although I'd like to lose 3 clem. If I could only find a way to beat the late night munchies I'd be laughing. :([DOUBLEPOST=1378234555][/DOUBLEPOST]
Evaluate overall caloric intake and/or food choices. When dieting I will opt for more high volume foods through the day and then save my ice cream until late at night but I'm usually not hungry afterwards.

Having a smoke and getting massive cravings for sugary shit don't help either mind.

If you're a late night eater why don't u sacrifice some of your day time calories in order to have them at night.

But it is all down to will power at the end if the day.

if you are going to eat at night try to eat protein.
cut out grains and carbs and you can eat as much protein as you want, especially if your active.

if you are going to eat at night try to eat protein.
cut out grains and carbs and you can eat as much protein as you want, especially if your active.

No, no you can't.

Although protein tends to be more satiating, you can't eat 'as much as you want'.

You need to fill up in your last proper meal - lots of meat and veg. Also drink lots of water to keep you feeling full.
After that its simply will power. And failing that just stop buying shite and then you haven't got a choice when you get the munchies!

Fuckin hell thats more biscuits and cake than I've eaten in a year!!

I just tend to eat as much as I can as regular as possible keeping my overall intake on target. Tea is definitely the largest and its full of carbs veg and protein usually about 7.30pm.
My late night tipple is greek yoghurt honey and almonds. (last night it was yoghurt and a crunchie like!:oops:)

How's it going Big-G? Hope you're still on track mate!;)
Late reply, here, not been on the forum much last few weeks. I managed to lose that stone, took a month and 5 days so only a little off target. However since then it's been slow going. I have been on holiday for a week in that time, but I am now still just a stone lighter than when I started, I am 18st 12lbs. I think I need to get back to having wraps every lunchtime, that really helped.
I'm still on the gym regularly (averaging 2-3 times per week) and loving it. I lack the motivation to go the gym, but once I'm there I don't leave until I can barely walk!

Late reply, here, not been on the forum much last few weeks. I managed to lose that stone, took a month and 5 days so only a little off target. However since then it's been slow going. I have been on holiday for a week in that time, but I am now still just a stone lighter than when I started, I am 18st 12lbs. I think I need to get back to having wraps every lunchtime, that really helped.
I'm still on the gym regularly (averaging 2-3 times per week) and loving it. I lack the motivation to go the gym, but once I'm there I don't leave until I can barely walk!
Good lad.....you've still got a fair way to go but you're on the right track, well done!

Reading stuff like this is what keeps me motivated. It's brilliant!

As of our regular weekly weigh in at work this morning, since july I have gone from 140Kg to 113.9Kg: this equates to 4.11 stone.

At 44 and 5'11" I have been just over 22 stone this year which I think has been my heaviest and I felt like I was in my 70's.

I have a 2.3 mile walk to work twice a day and have recently returned to the gym: it's the walking and the cutting out of (shite) food after 7pm that's done it, no doubt.

I mainly have bran cereal for breakfast and a chicken and pasta type thing or tuna for lunch and drink gallons of water.

Prior to this at work I would probably have a burger out of the machine for breakfast, 4 twixs a day a pie or something similar for lunch, possibly one in the afternoon, and then for tea go down the all you can eat Chinese a couple of nights a week or a kebab and chips. Out of control doesn't get anywhere near.

I'm just under 18stone now and lift weights and run on a machine 5 days a week....when I started in July i could hardly manage a minute running but last night I broke the 10min mark at 9km/hr.

That might still be shite, but I'm more than happy with it, as crashing in and trying to do it all short term is what normally defeats me.

My target for the year is to get down to 17st and then take it from there for the future.

Brilliant thread this, really inspiring!

Keep it up fella!

If anyone could give me any advice on nutrician on how to loose weight but still build muscle I would be eternally grateful...is this actually possible?

As of our regular weekly weigh in at work this morning, since july I have gone from 140Kg to 113.9Kg: this equates to 4.11 stone.

At 44 and 5'11" I have been just over 22 stone this year which I think has been my heaviest and I felt like I was in my 70's.

I have a 2.3 mile walk to work twice a day and have recently returned to the gym: it's the walking and the cutting out of (shite) food after 7pm that's done it, no doubt.

I mainly have bran cereal for breakfast and a chicken and pasta type thing or tuna for lunch and drink gallons of water.

Prior to this at work I would probably have a burger out of the machine for breakfast, 4 twixs a day a pie or something similar for lunch, possibly one in the afternoon, and then for tea go down the all you can eat Chinese a couple of nights a week or a kebab and chips. Out of control doesn't get anywhere near.

I'm just under 18stone now and lift weights and run on a machine 5 days a week....when I started in July i could hardly manage a minute running but last night I broke the 10min mark at 9km/hr.

That might still be shite, but I'm more than happy with it, as crashing in and trying to do it all short term is what normally defeats me.

My target for the year is to get down to 17st and then take it from there for the future.

Keep it up fella!

If anyone could give me any advice on nutrician on how to loose weight but still build muscle I would be eternally grateful...is this actually possible?

Your reduction in weight is not shite, it's excellent. You should never measure your ability in relation to others but in terms of how you are progressing from what you could do a month ago/the last time you ran/lifted weights/weighed yourself.

If you are lifting weights and your bodyweight doesn't keep going down in a linear fashion make sure you don't worry. Start keeping a photo record of your body shape and use that as a reference for how you're doing as well!

Best of luck!

Your reduction in weight is not shite, it's excellent. You should never measure your ability in relation to others but in terms of how you are progressing from what you could do a month ago/the last time you ran/lifted weights/weighed yourself.

If you are lifting weights and your bodyweight doesn't keep going down in a linear fashion make sure you don't worry. Start keeping a photo record of your body shape and use that as a reference for how you're doing as well!

Best of luck!

Cheers Marra...I'm loosing a minimum of about 2lbs a week which I know is kinda ok if I keep it up for 52 weeks kinda thing and I'm probably taking in around a 1000 calories a day according to My fitness pal app which I saw mentioned on here.

Is it possible to loose weight, but still lift weights and build muscle, or on that sort of calorific intake, will I only loose weight?

Cheers!! :)

i went from 12st 7lb to 12st 1 in 2 days due to having the shits, may not help you but i certanly lost weight and became a less fat bastard over night.

Cheers Marra...I'm loosing a minimum of about 2lbs a week which I know is kinda ok if I keep it up for 52 weeks kinda thing and I'm probably taking in around a 1000 calories a day according to My fitness pal app which I saw mentioned on here.

Is it possible to loose weight, but still lift weights and build muscle, or on that sort of calorific intake, will I only loose weight?

You'll lose weight on that intake. I'm not sure what muscle building will be like with that intake though. Titus or someone else will know.

I'm not that clued up, I just know if I eat, lift and rest, I grow.

I'm going in the opposite direction to you and trying to get about 3700 calories a day in :lol:

Keep it up fella!

Top work that mate, great effort and keep up the good work.

Sounds like you have figured out what works best for you in terms of diet and exercise so stick with it and keep trying to add that little bit longer to what you run on machine.

Well done again.

1000 calories a day sounds way too low especially for your weight.

There's loads of good info on here if you look back through, like CM said Titus is your man for good advice.

I'm 5'8 (was 83kg) and lost 1lb a week for about 3 months eating 2500 per day using my fitness pal, good macro nutrient advice and regular exercise.

Wel done btw you've done really good already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back