Bancroft as captain

Franklin will be very hands on so no issue here for me. No real candidates imo and he is our top batter, and pretty experienced so why not. Even if it just gets us to a point when an obvious candidate presents himself.

No issue with me.

He’s our best batsman, is guaranteed to be starting every game and has international experience.

We don’t even know who half our side is going to be.

Good choice
I'd like to know …

what is his experience of captaining? In white ball, in 1st class, in the CC (I expect it's nil on that).
Is he here for the full season?
Is there at least a possibility of him returning next season?
Did any of Raine, Rushy, Lees fancy the job and were any seriously considered?

Obviously we here can't answer some of those questions so I have to trust the judgement of North and Franklin but for me the considerations are …

I have no issue with Bancroft being at the club, he transgressed and paid a penalty - issue over as far as I'm concerned.
I'd prefer a local who is here for the long term but I wouldn't rule out an overseas taking the role, after all plenty have in the past and been successful too.
If Bancroft is captain for a single season only and is learning on the job (in the CC at least) I'd be a little dis-chuffed.

Last edited:
No issue with me.

He’s our best batsman, is guaranteed to be starting every game and has international experience.

We don’t even know who half our side is going to be.

Good choice

How do players feel about someone coming in and taking control, especially after recent events, genuine point. Wonder if they are arsed or not

I'd like to know …

what is his experience of captaining? In white ball, in 1st class, in the CC (I expect it's nil on that).

Obviously we here can't answer some of those questions so I have to trust the judgement of North and Franklin but for me the considerations are …

I have no issue with Bancroft being at the club, he transgressed and paid a penalty - issue over as far as I'm concerned.
I'd prefer a local who is here for the long term but I wouldn't rule out an overseas taking the role, after all plenty have in the past and been successful too.
If Bancroft is captain for a single season only and is learning on the job (in the CC at least) I'd be a little dis-chuffed.

Good post and questions, all fair

I'd like to know …

Some interesting questions there, and good points.

I’m concerned that he’s not here the full season. It’s up in the air as to whether he’ll even play in the opening game, and if he has a good summer there’s every chance he plays in the ashes at some point.

Franklin has been a breath of fresh air by all accounts, so I’ll give this one the benefit of the doubt.

How do players feel about someone coming in and taking control, especially after recent events, genuine point. Wonder if they are arsed or not

No idea tbh, I’d like to think the majority are professional enough to get on with things.

I honestly thought Lees would get it, but I’d rather he focussed on scoring runs. There’s not exactly a huge number of candidates, it’s a controversial choice

No idea tbh, I’d like to think the majority are professional enough to get on with things.

I honestly thought Lees would get it, but I’d rather he focussed on scoring runs. There’s not exactly a huge number of candidates, it’s a controversial choice

Yeah there isn't many

I wanted Raine, I think Rushy could have done it too mind

You liked his comment :eek:

I know because I actually agree with the sentiment that he should be given another chance full stop, as I think for a junior player in that Aussie side he was put in a very difficult situation, but have a feeling just a hunch that others are liking it because he is playing for Durham.

And considering the abuse he took on here at the time from some, quite surprised how many have liked it and suspect if he signed for Surrey and he was made captain the opposite view would be taken on it by some!

Of course I can't possibly know that like I say just a hunch!!

Last edited:
Odd decision for the reasons already mentioned here. Has a vice-captain been named?

Whilst there were a shortage of suitors, I think Rushy may have been a decent shout with Steel as VC. Lees had to be in the mix as well and was probably the most logical choice of all.

Odd decision for the reasons already mentioned here. Has a vice-captain been named?

Whilst there were a shortage of suitors, I think Rushy may have been a decent shout with Steel as VC. Lees had to be in the mix as well and was probably the most logical choice of all.
Presumably Lees is vice captain as the article I read said he would be captain in the first match.

I read the announcement article today which says that they reckon he has exactly perfect credentials to captain the team. I have to disagree with that. He’s either a proven cheat at worst or at best easily led. Neither of those credentials say perfect team captain to me.
I do agree that he deserves a second chance but I am conflicted that we are giving him that chance. I was quite proud of Yorkshire’s stance on the Smith rumours.

Huge rant by Gough on talksport about the appointment. Ended up being an hour long debate and the season hasn't even started yet.
I can't help but think whatever publicity Durham get at the start of the season it is all going to be about this and all very negative.

Huge rant by Gough on talksport about the appointment. Ended up being an hour long debate and the season hasn't even started yet.
I can't help but think whatever publicity Durham get at the start of the season it is all going to be about this and all very negative.

Its been big like, considering how little attention CC gets

talkSPORT on Twitter

Gough is a gobshite like

He has very little captaincy so I'd like to know what the decision was based on

Back