Autism

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 4 year old son was diagnosed with ASD last month. Not sure how to feel about it really. He's my first bairn and certain things he does sadden me everyday. But I'm quickly over it and amazed with some project he's into. I think the hardest thing is his difficulty to communicate his thoughts and feelings. He's got crack, but he doesn't shoot the breeze. Very repetitive stock phrases from a cbeebies or some YouTube educational video. Big issue with sensory things that worry me

Communication is the key to unlocking a lot of doors in autism - he may be trying to find a way to express things through his behaviour and the language he has. A lot of Autistic people are visual learners first rather than spoken, but the two come hand in hand (and evidence shows that visuals help improve language), so use of picture symbols/photographs/timetables can be really good to keep things predictable and help reduce any anxiety.

The sensory side is massive too - people who are on the asperger's/high functioning end of the spectrum have said to me it's like living life with all of your senses magnified by 100s of times. The world 'meltdown' is probably over and wrongly used in a lot of circumstances and sometimes simply sensory 'overload' that leads to outbursts.

I've worked/studied with ASD for a long time now, feel free to pm if there's anything I can do mate. That goes for anyone else too. What I will say is I've never met someone with autism who hasn't filled my life with joy and given me lessons for life that I will never forget. Each person is unique and needs to be celebrated in whichever ways that we can mould our world around them, not the other way around.

My Nephew supposedly has Autism, which I don't buy for one second. To me he just seems like a normal bairn. Unless somebody told you he had autism you'd never guess it. I don't know how the doctor decided that he has autism, but if he does, then 99% of the planet must be "autistic".

My Nephew supposedly has Autism, which I don't buy for one second. To me he just seems like a normal bairn. Unless somebody told you he had autism you'd never guess it. I don't know how the doctor decided that he has autism, but if he does, then 99% of the planet must be "autistic".
Depends on where on the spectrum he is, he could be high functioning. My brother has Aspergers, as does my sister's fella and one of my best mates and you wouldn't really notice anything other than a bit of social awkwardness and being a bit quirky.

It's diagnosed much more now, not always correctly but to be honest there are loads of people I meet all the time without a diagnosis that very obviously display some traits. There are others that I've worked with that are high flyers including uni lecturers, engineers, architects etc. It's a very wide spectrum. I score very low on any test and clearly don't meet the threshold for a diagnosis but I do have some sensory traits that might be seen in autism. In a sense it's just part of a human spectrum.

Depends on where on the spectrum he is, he could be high functioning. My brother has Aspergers, as does my sister's fella and one of my best mates and you wouldn't really notice anything other than a bit of social awkwardness and being a bit quirky.
People that are diagnosed in adulthood are often very successful, historically they'd probably have just been regarded as a bit eccentric. In a way it's a shame to label that but for a lot of the individuals I've worked with it's been a great relief and helped them manage the areas they have real difficulty with.

My biggest concern is his speech delay. I honestly think if he spoke it wouldn't be so apparent even though he displays other traits. Visual time tables have helped him significantly with transitions. Might sound stupid but even with things like sleep. Put him to bed and he used to roar. Show him a photo of his bed with him asleep and he gets it.

Please may I enquire how your son is doing now? I am currently concerned about my 2 year old (26 months) as he displays many signs. His speech is delayed/non existent at the moment and he learns words and forgets them as quickly. He would constantly pour water from one cup to another all day if left. He plays alongside children rather than with. I was wondering whether you could recall what your child was like at this age?

We have ruled off hearing as the issue, and there wasn't an ENT issue either. Would be grateful to just hear other peoples experiences.

Thanks.
I didn't start talking until I was three but then all through school I had a high reading age and good vocabulary. I'm in my 30s now and work with autistic people. I've got an appointment for my own assessment and honestly won't be surprised if I do or don't get a diagnosis.

Anyway, my point is you seem to be doing all the right things but there might not be an issue to worry about. But if there is something then you want it recognised and support in place as soon as possible, especially for school.

Please may I enquire how your son is doing now? I am currently concerned about my 2 year old (26 months) as he displays many signs. His speech is delayed/non existent at the moment and he learns words and forgets them as quickly. He would constantly pour water from one cup to another all day if left. He plays alongside children rather than with. I was wondering whether you could recall what your child was like at this age?

We have ruled off hearing as the issue, and there wasn't an ENT issue either. Would be grateful to just hear other peoples experiences.

Thanks.

My boy is going to be 7 this year. He was diagnosed with autism when he was 3. He would constantly twat his head off a wall when having meltdowns etc etc.

Now, he's finishing up at school top of his class in reading and maths. He's extremely clever, I am absolutely staggered at the stuff that comes out of his mouth. At 6 and a bit years old, he knows his times tables all the way up to 13x13. Could also be memory like, but he'll bat any calculation out. He's just started coming out of his shell on the social side as well. Before, he would be awkward with new kids. Now he's started to get stuck in. My biggest tip I can give anyone with a child on the spectrum, is don't disturb their routine!

My boy is going to be 7 this year. He was diagnosed with autism when he was 3. He would constantly twat his head off a wall when having meltdowns etc etc.

Now, he's finishing up at school top of his class in reading and maths. He's extremely clever, I am absolutely staggered at the stuff that comes out of his mouth. At 6 and a bit years old, he knows his times tables all the way up to 13x13. Could also be memory like, but he'll bat any calculation out. He's just started coming out of his shell on the social side as well. Before, he would be awkward with new kids. Now he's started to get stuck in. My biggest tip I can give anyone with a child on the spectrum, is don't disturb their routine!
Their routine is important. Lots of people try to impose a routine because autistic people need routine, everyone says that so it must be true. Trouble is many people try to force it on top of an existing routine the person has that often isn't at all obvious and the result is a very unhappy person that ends up being seen as challenging.

Their routine is important. Lots of people try to impose a routine because autistic people need routine, everyone says that so it must be true. Trouble is many people try to force it on top of an existing routine the person has that often isn't at all obvious and the result is a very unhappy person that ends up being seen as challenging.

Whenever we have tried to alter his routine, he's kicked off. We let him do his thing and he's as happy as larry

It's diagnosed much more now, not always correctly but to be honest there are loads of people I meet all the time without a diagnosis that very obviously display some traits. There are others that I've worked with that are high flyers including uni lecturers, engineers, architects etc. It's a very wide spectrum. I score very low on any test and clearly don't meet the threshold for a diagnosis but I do have some sensory traits that might be seen in autism. In a sense it's just part of a human spectrum.
I understand it's a wide spectrum, I just think that there could be a large number of diagnosed "Autistic" people out there with nothing wrong with them at all. After all, it's a psychological diagnosis, not a scientific medical one. Which is all well and good, until you start prescribing drugs...

I've begged my Brother not to give the bairn whatever drugs that were prescribed by the GP, but he just follows what the doctor says. They've been drugging the bairn with fucknows what for 5 years now, and there isn't a thing wrong with him imo. He's toppa, always has been.

If it was my kid he wouldn't be on drugs.

I am at the children's centre on Durham Road and my 7 year old son has just gone down with the doctor for his ADOS assesment. It is looking highly likely he has what used to be known as Aspergers Syndrome, but it all just come under ASD now. He is very very clever, probably the cleverest in his class at school and could read perfectly when he was 3. However he struggles with social skills, has always had obsessions which he can talk none stop about, but cant have a conversation about anything that doesn't interest him. He also has poor fine motor skills and is receiving occupational therapy. He cant use cutlery very well, ride a bike, catch a ball, do buttons, zips etc. As i am sitting here bored while he is assessed i just wondered if anyone elses kids on here have been diagnosed with autism, and how are they getting on now? I already have a disabled 16 year old daughter and am a single mam so its a bit daunting thinking of the future.
Knew a lad when I was younger who was completely taken over by his autism, as he got older it faded and now you'd barely notice. Being an engineer you find tonnes of people in the industry who have various levels of it, apparently our line of work attracts that kind of mindset. I'm sure your child will be absolutely fine and in time it will just become another one of life's little twists that the family will adapt to.

Its such a wide spectrum and, having taught many with the conidition, I think more are on said spectrum than not. People's little foibles that were previously overlooked would probably feature somewhere

Ive got to say, this thread has gave me some reassurance. My son starts school in September, which is going to be a challenge, but he's looking forward to it, and I'm confident it'll be good for him. I'm just a bit nervous for him

Ive got to say, this thread has gave me some reassurance. My son starts school in September, which is going to be a challenge, but he's looking forward to it, and I'm confident it'll be good for him. I'm just a bit nervous for him

My son is 9 and going into Year 5 in September, he has a diagnosis of high functioning autism (Aspergers) and dyspraxia. I worried myself silly about him starting school and he didn't even have a diagnosis back then (but I always had my suspicions). However he has thrived through Primary School, I just got his report yesterday and he is 'above national expectations' or 'at national expectations' for every subject but PE. He has a lovely group of friends in his class. Hopefully your little boy will enjoy it like mine does.

My eldest has Aspergers (yes, the one I call a spaz :lol:) and he’s been through 3 schools, but it’s becoming less noticeable as he’s growing up. He’s finally reached the correct level of achievement for his age and we’re putting him into mainstream secondary in September. He’s now just like every other rude and surly teen, but there are some quirks we still see that other people don’t.
When he was younger I went on a few courses (Early Bird + etc) and had many meeting with psychologists, doctors, and teachers, with the end result that nobody knew how to deal with him. None of their techniques worked on him, so we’ve basically just had to let him have his own way for 12 years as it was easier than the meltdowns. Saying that, I felt like a fraud at times hearing what some of the parents had to put up with. And I think that everyone is on the spectrum to some degree, just some things are dismissed as personally traits.

All depends on the school. His first two ‘normal’ schools just stuck him in the class and tried to teach him like the rest of the kids. Big mistake. Since he’s been at North View with class sizes of 8 and 3 teachers per class he’s come on leaps and bounds.

Last edited:
My son is 9 and going into Year 5 in September, he has a diagnosis of high functioning autism (Aspergers) and dyspraxia. I worried myself silly about him starting school and he didn't even have a diagnosis back then (but I always had my suspicions). However he has thrived through Primary School, I just got his report yesterday and he is 'above national expectations' or 'at national expectations' for every subject but PE. He has a lovely group of friends in his class. Hopefully your little boy will enjoy it like mine does.

I'm worried every time I take him to nursery incase he cannot communicate or join in and I just worry he is left alone sad. I know this isn't the case as they send regular photos but it still pains me. I cannot even begin to fathom primary yet, especially if he is still non verbal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back