Autism

Status
Not open for further replies.
My youngest's not on the autism spectrum, but does have fairly severe dyspraxia (also affects her speech fairly badly too). Doesn't get her down - and school are bloody fantastic and we got the diagnosis at a fairly young age compared to many - but it's hard watching them struggle compared to their classmates. She was barely intelligible in her speech when she started school (the content's there - she just couldn't move the muscles in her mouth to make the speech sounds) - had a rough first couple of terms (the girls in her class all went to nursery together and are really cliquey to the point it was nasty at times) but it's absolutely clicked now, she won't shut up and she's got some nice friendships starting to develop now.

I'm worried every time I take him to nursery incase he cannot communicate or join in and I just worry he is left alone sad. I know this isn't the case as they send regular photos but it still pains me. I cannot even begin to fathom primary yet, especially if he is still non verbal.

I know it's easy for me to say but I honestly wouldn't worry about school yet, he is only 2. He still has another few years before he will be school age and he will grow up and change so much by then. Chances are he will be talking, 2 is still really young and he has plenty of time to learn to talk.
My little boy plays with his friends but he also spends quite a bit of time on his own, he is happy in his own company though. He spends a lot of time talking away to himself (I know it sounds a bit weird but he talks himself through everything he does, I think it's just to reassure himself). I am used to him doing it now and it's just a part of who he is.

My youngest's not on the autism spectrum, but does have fairly severe dyspraxia (also affects her speech fairly badly too). Doesn't get her down - and school are bloody fantastic and we got the diagnosis at a fairly young age compared to many - but it's hard watching them struggle compared to their classmates. She was barely intelligible in her speech when she started school (the content's there - she just couldn't move the muscles in her mouth to make the speech sounds) - had a rough first couple of terms (the girls in her class all went to nursery together and are really cliquey to the point it was nasty at times) but it's absolutely clicked now, she won't shut up and she's got some nice friendships starting to develop now.

Can I ask whatever signs you noticed? There is a chance this might apply to my son. Dyspraxic children often appear clumsy etc don't they?

Can I ask whatever signs you noticed? There is a chance this might apply to my son. Dyspraxic children often appear clumsy etc don't they?

Her speech never came on clearly was a big thing and that was what came up when I googled - but I'd been saying all along that she didn't walk comfortably (best way I can describe it is she walks as if she's a teenage girl who's had a couple of vodkas to be slightly merry and is trying to hide it in front of her parents), no concept of personal space at all, puts coats on upside down and just doesn't see that they're the wrong way around and she's just slightly "off balance" all the time. Fidgets like buggery, never sits still, falls off the sofa about 9000 times a day and just touches absolutely everything as she walks along (helps reinforce the sense of where she is in space - like when you're prodding your gum after the dentist's numbed it up and you can't leave it alone). Coordination and sports skills of the average Sunderland player over the last season or so (ie non-existent)

Still canny pissed off her nursery ignored all of this and didn't at least put the speech therapy referral in back then though to be honest - but her school's been fab.

All depends on the school. His first two ‘normal’ schools just stuck him in the class and tried to teach him like the rest of the kids. Big mistake. Since he’s been at North View with class sizes of 8 and 3 teachers per class he’s come on leaps and bounds.

Is North View the Witherslack Group school?

My son was diagnosed with autism three years ago,although it took quite a few years for his condition to be formally acknowledged. The sense of relief we got as parents was huge,because we knew something was amiss but had little support from his school to back up our observations. He was told to try to concentrate more and apply himself:he did,but because of how he is it wasn’t sinking in.

Now he has the help he needs,he’s thriving and making great strides in many areas;particularly social skills wise. Although it took a lot of pushing to get him the help he needs,it’s been worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, that’s Ashbrooke School. His mam teaches there. I say “teaches” but it seems to be more about being a bouncer than a teacher.

Ah, right.

We've had a look at the Witherslack Group school in Wakefield, and the bairn is going to have a look around on Friday. So was just wondering if you knew much about them.

Don't suppose you're bairns man has ever said much explicitly good or bad about them has she?

Obviously different schools but I doubt they run too differently?

Ah, right.

We've had a look at the Witherslack Group school in Wakefield, and the bairn is going to have a look around on Friday. So was just wondering if you knew much about them.

Don't suppose you're bairns man has ever said much explicitly good or bad about them has she?

Obviously different schools but I doubt they run too differently?
The one she teaches at is the last chance saloon school for kids no one else will have. It seems to be run more like a prison.

The one she teaches at is the last chance saloon school for kids no one else will have. It seems to be run more like a prison.

Delightful :eek:

Must be run differently across the board as the Wakefield one seemed canny enough. Hopefully so, anyway.

This one has rabbits they can look after and full on sensory rooms of different types. Although it did have a mangle for those who needed to feel pressure on them :eek:.

I was diagnosed with mild aspergers earlier this year. Best thing I’ve ever heard oddly enough. Everything makes so much more sense now.

I have a decent job but struggle with anything out of the ordinary or that doesn’t fit with a routine. Can’t deal with social situations in person, get stressed beyond belief if I have to go to a party, although I have made friends who I’ve known all my life who just accept it now. It’s people who I’ve met more recently who tend to lose touch quickly.

I suppose I’m saying that with it being a spectrum disorder, there’s nothing that can’t be managed in some way.

Congrats on discovering more about yourself and learning how to deal with things best for you!

As said on here I also got diagnosed a couple of years back and I feel I am still on a bit of a learning curve tbh. I try and focus a bit on keeping my routines in place so I don't get too stressed etc.

the problem I have had is that due to being not great socially I really only have 2 friends and one of them has now moved away.

My son doesn't sleep very well (and in turn neither do we) is this just because he is two or also another idicator? He will often go down fine but always awakes unsettled and its impossible to get him back down.

I understand it's a wide spectrum, I just think that there could be a large number of diagnosed "Autistic" people out there with nothing wrong with them at all. After all, it's a psychological diagnosis, not a scientific medical one. Which is all well and good, until you start prescribing drugs...

I've begged my Brother not to give the bairn whatever drugs that were prescribed by the GP, but he just follows what the doctor says. They've been drugging the bairn with fucknows what for 5 years now, and there isn't a thing wrong with him imo. He's toppa, always has been.

If it was my kid he wouldn't be on drugs.
Drugs have no effect on autism as such but the level of anxiety people experience is such that medication can help people function sometimes. Increasingly ADHD and autism are both diagnosed and meds can be very effective for some kids and adults in helping them to focus although I prefer to see more sensory and functional approaches to anxiety management because that gives the person more control over their own anxiety. Even where anxiolytics are used I think it's best prescribed as as an interim measure whilst other strategies are worked on. Everyone is different though so there's no right answer.

My son doesn't sleep very well (and in turn neither do we) is this just because he is two or also another idicator? He will often go down fine but always awakes unsettled and its impossible to get him back down.
It's fairly common, people on the spectrum are thought to produce less melatonin which is the sleep trigger. Really good bedtime routine can help but for the young man we used to do short break fostering for that wasn't really enough and he was prescribed melatonin. I was sceptical to be honest but it definitely worked. Not much good if they then wake up in the night though, it's not a sedative so only really helps them drop off.

Increasingly diagnosed alongside autism and ADHD. Usually effects fine motor skills like pencil grip and scissor grip in particular. Even if not diagnosed can be good to do exercises to help, especially early on as it helps strengthen( for want of a better phrase) muscles and neural pathways.

Last edited:
Drugs have no effect on autism as such but the level of anxiety people experience is such that medication can help people function sometimes. Increasingly ADHD and autism are both diagnosed and meds can be very effective for some kids and adults in helping them to focus although I prefer to see more sensory and functional approaches to anxiety management because that gives the person more control over their own anxiety. Even where anxiolytics are used I think it's best prescribed as as an interim measure whilst other strategies are worked on. Everyone is different though so there's no right answer.

It's fairly common, people on the spectrum are thought to produce less melatonin which is the sleep trigger. Really good bedtime routine can help but for the young man we used to do short break fostering for that wasn't really enough and he was prescribed melatonin. I was sceptical to be honest but it definitely worked. Not much good if they then wake up in the night though, it's not a sedative so only really helps them drop off.

Increasingly diagnosed alongside autism and ADHD. Usually effects fine motor skills like pencil grip and scissor grip in particular. Even if not diagnosed can be good to do exercises to help, especially early on as it helps strengthen( for want of a better phrase) muscles and neural pathways.

Honestly I cannot thank you enough for all this.

An excellent,informative post.

I am at the children's centre on Durham Road and my 7 year old son has just gone down with the doctor for his ADOS assesment. It is looking highly likely he has what used to be known as Aspergers Syndrome, but it all just come under ASD now. He is very very clever, probably the cleverest in his class at school and could read perfectly when he was 3. However he struggles with social skills, has always had obsessions which he can talk none stop about, but cant have a conversation about anything that doesn't interest him. He also has poor fine motor skills and is receiving occupational therapy. He cant use cutlery very well, ride a bike, catch a ball, do buttons, zips etc. As i am sitting here bored while he is assessed i just wondered if anyone elses kids on here have been diagnosed with autism, and how are they getting on now? I already have a disabled 16 year old daughter and am a single mam so its a bit daunting thinking of the future.

My elder lad has Severe Autism , it’s bloody hard work . He’s quite aggressive so he’s in a class of his own, has been sent home on numerous occasions for walloping the teacher or pupils
He’s pretty clever but with cameras and editing - he is immense . Some of his wee movies are completely brilliant, only thing is his speech is poor so we’re not sure what he is saying half the time.

He is certainly never a dull moment

Having a tough evening, and it has led me to the whole 'what happens when I'm too old' conversation that I just keep parking instead of confronting.

My son is non-verbal and can be aggressive - I genuinely have no idea what is even out there.

Having a tough evening, and it has led me to the whole 'what happens when I'm too old' conversation that I just keep parking instead of confronting.

My son is non-verbal and can be aggressive - I genuinely have no idea what is even out there.

Best words of encouragement I can offer is that you're not alone with these worries and concerns. There's hundreds and hundreds of people that share these worries. The aggression will be frustration and something that might not last forever. Does he get much help from school or equally as important do you get help from the school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back