Autism

I am at the children's centre on Durham Road and my 7 year old son has just gone down with the doctor for his ADOS assesment. It is looking highly likely he has what used to be known as Aspergers Syndrome, but it all just come under ASD now. He is very very clever, probably the cleverest in his class at school and could read perfectly when he was 3. However he struggles with social skills, has always had obsessions which he can talk none stop about, but cant have a conversation about anything that doesn't interest him. He also has poor fine motor skills and is receiving occupational therapy. He cant use cutlery very well, ride a bike, catch a ball, do buttons, zips etc. As i am sitting here bored while he is assessed i just wondered if anyone elses kids on here have been diagnosed with autism, and how are they getting on now? I already have a disabled 16 year old daughter and am a single mam so its a bit daunting thinking of the future.

Did you see the BBC program about Chris Packham (Chris Packham: Asperger's and Me) ?
It's on BBC iPlayer https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09b1zbb/chris-packham-aspergers-and-me?suggid=b09b1zbb
He travelled to USA where a "cure" is discussed - at his age he was not interested in anything like that but said it would have been very useful in his youth.
It was very interesting the way he coped with it throughout his life although it was heart wrenching at times (e.g. bullying, isolation, etc) as it was not widely known about when he was very young.
As said by others, the support is in place now and I am sure your son will lead a very happy and fulfilling life.

Last edited:

I've ha d a look at the sources from the article. One is an article suggesting screen time is one possible causal environmental factor, amongst others, interacting with genes in children with autism. I only scanned the article and there were a few things I have an issue with but the hypothesis seems plausible. Then there is a youtube video of unnamed experts saying that they could identify that there was no genetic aspect to the child's autism and that after reducing screen time their problems disappeared.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...n_Infancy_Competes_with_Social_Brain_Networks

You are an amazing parent. Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much :).

Ive a good friend Ben who has been fully qualified child psychologist for about 30 years and most of people he sees have been referred to him by CAMHS he says the increase in their work over the past 15 years has been phenomenal. Devices, gaming and social media he says is a real problem for many of the kids he deals with. He also says many kids are not eating a healthy diet due to energy drinks and a high sugar diet.

My son is absolutely addicted to his laptop and ipad. The first thing he does when he gets up on a morning or comes in from school is go on his laptop/ipad and that's it for the rest of the day. He has always had obsessions. When he was only about a year old he was obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine and could tell you the names of every single character without even having to think about it. Then it was Disney Cars and again he knew every single character. However from being about 4 when he learnt how to use a mouse he lost all interest in everything apart from his laptop.
Food is another problem, his whole diet consists of fish, potatoes, dry bread, Cadburys chocolate, ready salted crisps, water and diet cola. It's an absolute nightmare.

Did you see the BBC program about Chris Packham (Chris Packham: Asperger's and Me) ?
It's on BBC iPlayer https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09b1zbb/chris-packham-aspergers-and-me?suggid=b09b1zbb
He travelled to USA where a "cure" is discussed - at his age he was not interested in anything like that but said it would have been very useful in his youth.
It was very interesting the way he coped with it throughout his life although it was heart wrenching at times (e.g. bullying, isolation, etc) as it was not widely known about when he was very young.
As said by others, the support is in place now and I am sure your son will lead a very happy and fulfilling life.

I didn't see it but will definitely give it a watch. I am dreading my son going into the comp where social interaction is a lot more important. The thoughts of him being bullied because of the way he is terrifies me, he is such a lovely little lad.

I didn't see it but will definitely give it a watch. I am dreading my son going into the comp where social interaction is a lot more important. The thoughts of him being bullied because of the way he is terrifies me, he is such a lovely little lad.

Try not to worry too much. Our boy is in his second year of school and the difference is huge. Being around kids all the time has brought him out of his shell. Whilst there still maybe some social awkwardness at a later age, it definitely eases off as they grow.

The biggest plus for us so far is, he no longer needs to go into the sensory room at the stadium. He now comes with me in the main stands

My wife used to work with young adults with profound autism. Your son doesn't sound like he is too far along the scale.

I think you have to get used to the idea that his world is going to be different to others but I think the world is a lot more accommodating to people on the spectrum.

Look to and celebrate his strengths and don't get fixated on his weaknesses. You may have a deep sadness that he won't get the full benefit of having fully functioning social skills but a lot of the stuff that is missing he will be totally unaware of.

Just think you have a young bright boy who you love and will contribute to society in his own way.
What a brilliant post. So eloquently spoken.

Children with autism will often have significant sensory and nervous system issues. These aren't caused by screen time but any sensory integration trained Occupational therapist will tell you that engaging in activity, sometimes referred to as heavy work, will often help people focus and remain calm. The article refers to parents going out with children more and doing stuff- it's essentially Sensory integration occupational therapy and isn't at all surprising that it helps. Most of that article borders on tabloid quality and I'd be very sceptical of its claims.

Children with autism will often have significant sensory and nervous system issues. These aren't caused by screen time but any sensory integration trained Occupational therapist will tell you that engaging in activity, sometimes referred to as heavy work, will often help people focus and remain calm. The article refers to parents going out with children more and doing stuff- it's essentially Sensory integration occupational therapy and isn't at all surprising that it helps. Most of that article borders on tabloid quality and I'd be very sceptical of its claims.

I tend to ignore and discredit anything that comes from America. It’s absolutely bonkers the lengths they go to in search of a ‘cure’

Great programme starts it`s second series next Tuesday 9pm BBC1 --The A word-- about a family with an Autistic child. The more publicity Autism gets the better and really heartwarming to read posts from OP and others on here.
Added bonus is the location for most of the production is in the Lakes and the first series had some cracking music featured:cool:

I tend to ignore and discredit anything that comes from America. It’s absolutely bonkers the lengths they go to in search of a ‘cure’
It borders on being evangelical and has shadows of eugenics and the removal of those different to perceived norms. Reality is we all need to be more accepting of difference and value people for who they are and what they can do rather than focus sing on deficits and forcing them to fit in.

It borders on being evangelical and has shadows of eugenics and the removal of those different to perceived norms. Reality is we all need to be more accepting of difference and value people for who they are and what they can do rather than focus sing on deficits and forcing them to fit in.

That statement there is the most perfect description I’ve ever came across on the subject

I am at the children's centre on Durham Road and my 7 year old son has just gone down with the doctor for his ADOS assesment. It is looking highly likely he has what used to be known as Aspergers Syndrome, but it all just come under ASD now. He is very very clever, probably the cleverest in his class at school and could read perfectly when he was 3. However he struggles with social skills, has always had obsessions which he can talk none stop about, but cant have a conversation about anything that doesn't interest him. He also has poor fine motor skills and is receiving occupational therapy. He cant use cutlery very well, ride a bike, catch a ball, do buttons, zips etc. As i am sitting here bored while he is assessed i just wondered if anyone elses kids on here have been diagnosed with autism, and how are they getting on now? I already have a disabled 16 year old daughter and am a single mam so its a bit daunting thinking of the future.
Are you @ShieldsBlackCat2015 dad?

Nice one marra.

That statement there is the most perfect description I’ve ever came across on the subject
Just think the world would be a better place if we were all just a bit nicer! Think Eleanor Roosevelt said something like we should ask ourselves every day whether we could have done more and whether we could have been kinder in the way we did things. If we all did that we'd have much healthier communities and much less hate, in short the world would be a better place.

Did anyone watch the comedy on Netflix about a lad with high functioning autism?

Enjoyed it and although I'm sure it's clichéd and not true to life, it was entertaining without mocking what can be a serious condition.

Brother has autism. Favourite company is himself and only recently started walking home alone at around 17. Not great socially unless it's about one of his interests.

Just got an A* in his a level

I thought this programme was excellent and so much of it rang true in relation to my daughter.

The most useful part of it was that it is something to show grandparents etc to help them understand their grandchild. I am sure that through they years they ave just thought that she is difficult and antisocial.

I don't usually talk about it much as I find people can treat me different when they know but I have Aspergers Syndrome.

Life's been tough for me in many aspects, mainly with the social side of things and struggling a lot with anxiety.

I'm almost 26 now and I've managed to carve out a good life for myself despite all these problems I still sometimes struggle with today.

I've my own place with my fiancé, good friends, my own car and I work full time so there is definitely is hope for people on the spectrum.

Of course the spectrum is very broad and there are people worse off that others but there's nothing to stop anyone living a good independent and fulfilliling life with aspergers.

I've met many great people over the years who also have aspergers and plenty who also live good lives.

In all honesty I probably wouldn't even change the fact I have aspergers if I could as it's a big part of who I am, I just wish people didn't treat me differently because of it.

As said in the depression thread a little while ago, I was diagnosed as having Aspergers just last year and i am in my 30's.

I consider myself quite fortunate that I am at the milder end of the spectrum and so have always worked, am married, have a family etc. If you met me I don't think you would know it tbh, I would just be the quiet guy that hardly conversed and maybe looked slightly awkward if there were a group of people around. My family don't even know.

I am also lucky that I never experienced bullying at school, I managed to find a way of being on the periphery of a couple of social groups which seemed to mean I wasn't targeted, though I left school to find that I kind of had almost no actual friends. I have my quirks with sensory stuff, thankfully nothing that causes me to have meltdowns, but there are some odd stuff that I have never been very good with at all that now make sense more (hate the feeling of clothes on my skin and wearing shoes can be a minor daily 'challenge').

My wife was very supportive when I was going through the assessment, when I presented her with a list of generic traits she laughed and said I ticked nearly every box. She says I can be tiring sometimes as I am so quiet and looking for solitude most of the time then suddenly get very enthusiastic about something and can't stop talking about it (she says I sometimes talk at her rather than to her) :lol:

went to a restaurant for a meal on Friday lunchtime with work team. I find those situations hard work. I said almost nothing and just ate my food. I find it hard to know when to talk and often get my timing all wrong so have learned to just not say so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it’s a very difficult thing to pin down. My eldest is different, she’s not your average 10 almost 11 year old. She’s rediciously intelligent, quick funny etc. However she will be on the spectrum. I’m pretty sure I am. She shows affection to her little brother, her grandma and that’s about it. She reads the News and is quite detached, rational etc her last teacher wanted her tested before secondary school. She told her Mother when she was about to go on a school trip after their Manchester bomb “mam, man if I was a terrorist I wouldn’t bomb a field in boldon full of tents man...” but now she’s on the school council and is doing mint...

Back