Autism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best words of encouragement I can offer is that you're not alone with these worries and concerns. There's hundreds and hundreds of people that share these worries. The aggression will be frustration and something that might not last forever. Does he get much help from school or equally as important do you get help from the school?

Schools great, I know it's just because it's half term (he has only just started school) so it's the first time it's changed his new routine. Bizarrely, he is sleeping alright at the minute just I'm not 😬

Schools great, I know it's just because it's half term (he has only just started school) so it's the first time it's changed his new routine. Bizarrely, he is sleeping alright at the minute just I'm not 😬

I work in special needs and have taught a non verbal child recently. He's the happiest and most charismatic child I've ever taught tbh and the "experts" still have no idea why he's unable to talk. We communicate using makaton sign language but such is his character he'll often just make up his own signs and expect us to be able to understand 😂

Change of routine causes all sorts of bother so you've probably nailed it tbh. Just know that you'll be making a massive difference to your son even when you don't know it yourself.

Having a tough evening, and it has led me to the whole 'what happens when I'm too old' conversation that I just keep parking instead of confronting.

My son is non-verbal and can be aggressive - I genuinely have no idea what is even out there.
There’s a whole array of options from floating support, 24/7 supported accommodation, the HOLD scheme so people can own their owN property, adult fostering, residential care. In my experience small independent providers tend to be best, they’re less likely to be profit motivated but there are good places within national companies too. For challenging individuals I think the security of their own home even if they have to change care provider is a big plus so my preference would be that with support from a good person centred provider but each person is different.

I never knew this thread existed and can't be arsed to read through all the posts because I'm late for work already but, My name is Anth and I'm a Aspieholic. Diagnosed (unofficially) by my doctor 20 years ago (before it became popular) and she told me then don't pay for an official diagnosis as it will only ever be used against you.
I call Asperger's an Ability rather than a Disability.
FTM.

I work a lot with higher functioning autism, funnily enough a lot are girls these days. I'm not going to pretend that all ASC people have huge ability, and I do work in further education (so I'm seeing a skewed sample) but they are all fantastic students and the vast majority are going to go on and have amazing careers.. There are a few posters on this site who have a diagnosis, and all seem to be cracking lads arn all.

My daughter (now 23) is doing really well. She is studying on the south coast and has her own flat. She is self managing well and the depression is low (although winter is usually worse for her). She has a long term boyfriend. A decent lad who is lead singer in a punk band. If you are in Worthing and see a couple with moheckans (so) and full on punk garb don’t say hello. She’s aspergers and they hate that sort of thing.

I never knew this thread existed and can't be arsed to read through all the posts because I'm late for work already but, My name is Anth and I'm a Aspieholic. Diagnosed (unofficially) by my doctor 20 years ago (before it became popular) and she told me then don't pay for an official diagnosis as it will only ever be used against you.
FTM.
The benefits of formal diagnosis should be access to support and protection via the Equality act and autism act but for those people that manage well it’s a fact unfortunately that it can be used against them by some. For people more severely affected it does tend to be beneficial and many very independent and bright people with a diagnosis say they feel better knowing as it explains a lot and helps them work out strategies to manage particular situations and plan.

I was reading recently that only 15% of autistic adults are in full time employment, which is the lowest proportion of any disability. I can't help wondering if the interviewing and assessment processes are responsible for a lot of that, which rely on people having developed conversational cues even if the job role doesn't demand such.

20 years ago it wasn't possible to get a diagnosis of AS through the NHS as an a adult, an expert in Birmingham would assess you for about £1,800. I think all that has changed now.
I was reading recently that only 15% of autistic adults are in full time employment, which is the lowest proportion of any disability. I can't help wondering if the interviewing and assessment processes are responsible for a lot of that, which rely on people having developed conversational cues even if the job role doesn't demand such.
I'm a self employed carpenter, you won't get a conversation out of me but any work I do for you will be perfect.

Last edited:
FTM.
I got my diagnosis but there are lots of valid reasons not get a formal one. I have not disclosed it to many people in real life. I went through the NHS so did not have to pay for it and got a diagnosis for ASD as they don't tend to give Aspeger's diagnoses now. I think of it as a difference and its people's and society's attitudes which can be disabling.
Having a tough evening, and it has led me to the whole 'what happens when I'm too old' conversation that I just keep parking instead of confronting.

My son is non-verbal and can be aggressive - I genuinely have no idea what is even out there.
It's good that you are thinking about that now. It will be easier if you have a support network in place before you get to a point where you can't support him anymore and need to build one from scratch at the same time. Do you have any involvement from social services, they might be able to get funding put some respite care in place for him to have either overnight stays at a short break centre or going out during the day in holidays, weekends, or after school.
This has been a problem for me. A lot of the feedback I'd get after interviews was that on paper I had the right kind of experience but failed to get it across in the interview. For a lot of people there is also the sensory and social demands of the working environment overwhelming them and leading to autistic burnout, which makes it hard for autistic people to stay in jobs.

Last edited:
It's really interesting re-reading all these posts 4 years on from the original post I made when my son was being assessed. He is 12 now and in his first year of secondary school. Although the virus has been absolutely shit in almost every way it has worked in his favour for starting secondary school. Instead of having to find his way around the school and mix with hundreds of students he stays in one classroom and only has to mix with his own year group. He has settled in well though he still struggles socially and doesn't really have 'friends'. I find it sad but it doesn't seem to bother him. I still worry about his future but for now he is doing ok.

Last edited:
It's really interesting re-reading all these posts 4 years on from the original post I made when my son was being assessed. He is 12 now and in his first year of secondary school. Although the virus has been absolutely shit in almost every way it has worked in his favour for starting secondary school. Instead of having to find his way around the school and mix with hundreds of students he stays in one classroom and only has to mix with his own year group. He has settled in well though he still struggles socially and doesn't really have 'friends'. I find it sad but it doesn't seem to bother him. I still worry about his future but for now he is doing ok.
Yeah, i had just started working with autistic kids and now I've got a diagnosis myself. It has helped me understand my childhood better and why I didn't make many friends. It is likely that he will find being around other people tiring and confusing, because he's okay with the way things are it sounds like his social needs are being met so you must be doing a good job at home. When he's older he'll be able to find more people like him and who understand him so hopefully he'll find making friends easier then.

The local authority i work at have a supported employment team, who work with adults with a LD and or a ASC diagnosis.
They support clients to find paid employment and will also undertake on the job training to also support the client in the workplace.
They are also there to support the employer with any reasonable adjustments or arranging different types of interviews such as work trials.
Check out BASE - British association for supported employment - www.base-uk.org for more information

Might be a good few year away, but local authorities from year 9 onwards as part of the education health & care plan (ehcp) should be following preparation for adulthood guidelines - www.preparingforadulthood.org.uk

Last edited:
I think that is part of it although I also think there are lots of people in techy jobs and universities that just don’t have a formal diagnosis. In the right role and with decent managers plenty of people with ASD will outperform neuro typicals by some margin, a huge untapped pool of potential.

20 years ago it wasn't possible to get a diagnosis of AS through the NHS as an a adult, an expert in Birmingham would assess you for about £1,800. I think all that has changed now.

I'm a self employed carpenter, you won't get a conversation out of me but any work I do for you will be perfect.

If only every tradesman ...

I'm an Aspie diagnosed at 49 y.o, stuck in a job I hate and desperate to get out. Totally agree with the interview thing, absolutely hate them and have failed a countless amount of them even though I know I could piss the job. Worked most of my life but have to admit I've gone backwards both socially and in career terms over the last 10 - 15 years, also finding it much harder to cope lately and dread to think what the future holds, anxiety and depression having a real firm grip on me at this time.

My eldest 18 has a diagnosis which in past would of been Aspergers but now they say on the spectrum.
Looking back I kick myself for missing obvious signs they had it just thought they were shy or a bit different (I work in Mental health so feel worse).
Anyway they had a meltdown the weekend we beat Palace away when Moyes was in charge they never went back to school.
The wife has fought tooth & nail for them getting them 1:1 tuition at a local centre and they managed to get 5 Gcse's ( I only got equivalent of 3 myself).
When they finished school in 2019 we couldn't find any suitable placements for them 're college/education due to social anxiety and other issues and they have hardly left the house since it hasn't been easy for all of us.
Anyway looks like they may be getting a placement at Tasker house in Ashbrooke has anybody any experiences of there?

Last edited:
I'm an Aspie diagnosed at 49 y.o, stuck in a job I hate and desperate to get out. Totally agree with the interview thing, absolutely hate them and have failed a countless amount of them even though I know I could piss the job. Worked most of my life but have to admit I've gone backwards both socially and in career terms over the last 10 - 15 years, also finding it much harder to cope lately and dread to think what the future holds, anxiety and depression having a real firm grip on me at this time.
I can relate to a lot of that. Working with autistic kids is the good bit of my job it's the rest of it that I've been struggling with recently. The half term has been a good break but I need to find something else.
My eldest 18 has a diagnosis which in past would of been Aspergers but now they say on the spectrum.
Looking back I kick myself for missing obvious signs they had it just thought they were shy or a bit different (I work in Mental health so feel worse).
Anyway they had a meltdown the weekend we beat Palace away when Moyes was in charge they never went back to school.
The wife has fought tooth & nail for them getting them 1:1 tuition at a local centre and they managed to get 5 Gcse's ( I only got equivalent of 3 myself).
When they finished school in 2019 we couldn't find any suitable placements for them 're college/education due to social anxiety and other issues and they have hardly left the house since it hasn't been easy for all of us.
Anyway looks like they may be getting a placement at Tasker house in Ashbrooke has anybody any experiences of there?
Have you heard much about autistic burnout because that might have been what happened after the meltdown. I'll find a link if you want. I don't know about Tasker House. You'll know about working with anxiety and that it's small steps. The whole pandemic situation is also making it even more difficult.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back