Australia in Lockdown . ......news

It’s only an unproven theory I have but I think that NSW and Victoria governments are happy that it’s out in the community so they can get herd immunity and the vaccination levels up. They want to get the economy moving and make lockdowns a thing of the past.
Mark McGowan (who I voted for) on the other hand seems adamant that he will keep the WA borders closed, meaning I don’t get to see my son this Crimbo. I think it’s all bullshit to get the WA vaccine rates up as our state is slow on the uptake to say the least.

NSW have resigned to the fact that it's out there and all we're trying to do is put at hold on it until the vaxx rates are up. they don't (can't) contact trace any more as there's way too many new cases each day to track.

Zero covid is over for the country i reckon. this outbreak was just from one case, so WA can try to hold off and keep the borders shut but it will get in eventually. you may as well climb aboard the good ship herd immunity with the rest of us. it's not going to be fun though.

NSW have resigned to the fact that it's out there and all we're trying to do is put at hold on it until the vaxx rates are up. they don't (can't) contact trace any more as there's way too many new cases each day to track.

Zero covid is over for the country i reckon. this outbreak was just from one case, so WA can try to hold off and keep the borders shut but it will get in eventually. you may as well climb aboard the good ship herd immunity with the rest of us. it's not going to be fun though.

Just entering my second day of hotel quarantine here in Melbourne, food is cack but the room's not too bad and the staff have been great. The whole covid stuff seems to be portrayed on the news a bit more positively here than it seemed from the outside. Fingers crossed this vaccine rollout continues at the current pace.

Just entering my second day of hotel quarantine here in Melbourne, food is cack but the room's not too bad and the staff have been great. The whole covid stuff seems to be portrayed on the news a bit more positively here than it seemed from the outside. Fingers crossed this vaccine rollout continues at the current pace.
Pretty much sounds like you are reporting from a prison cell but other than that all good FFS. 😊

You are right. Dan Andrews here in Victoria was a strong zero-covid advocate but even he now has given up on this. More freedoms for those that have been double jabbed.

Last edited:

welcome aboard...!

i'd personally by happier to open up at the 80% mark but it is what it is. my graft said the other day that once we're back open they only expect people to come in to the office once every quarter, so that's 4 times a year for me... kinda like my sex life :lol:

Welcome to the most livable city in the world.

It will be worth it eventually - it is a great place when not in lockdown.

welcome aboard...!

i'd personally by happier to open up at the 80% mark but it is what it is. my graft said the other day that once we're back open they only expect people to come in to the office once every quarter, so that's 4 times a year for me... kinda like my sex life :lol:
We’re just shy of 80% now in getting the second dose (79.9%). Still getting averages of over 40,000 new cases a day, 7,600 hospitalisations and over 100 deaths/day. The vaccines are undoubtedly keeping figures lower but those figures are still nothing to write home about, which says as we get schools back and the days close in for winter, there’s likely to be a need for some form of additional restrictions if we don’t want to overwhelm the NHS as we approach traditional flu season.

We’re just shy of 80% now in getting the second dose (79.9%). Still getting averages of over 40,000 new cases a day, 7,600 hospitalisations and over 100 deaths/day. The vaccines are undoubtedly keeping figures lower but those figures are still nothing to write home about, which says as we get schools back and the days close in for winter, there’s likely to be a need for some form of additional restrictions if we don’t want to overwhelm the NHS as we approach traditional flu season.

it's going to be rough ride mate...

new case numbers have dropped for 2 days running in NSW, so possibly peaked (possibly not). hospital and ICU numbers increasing as you would expect

Victoria new cases still on the way up

Jumped a lot overnight. 324 cases today, 246 previous two days.

we're steady at 1405 today... pubs back open in late October as long as we hit the 70% double jab mark and the kids back to school as well... 🍾🥃🍻🥂
just to clarify, in NSW you'll only be allowed in pubs etc if you can prove you're double jabbed.
we have a state gov app for QR code check-ins already and there will be a feature on that app to show the venue that your checking in that you've been double jabbed.

Last edited:
334 new cases in Victoria, 1542 in NSW... No more daily news conferences in NSW from next week. still saying they expect the NSW peak to be in the next week or so with the 'R' number heading down below zero for the first time this outbreak

334 new cases in Victoria, 1542 in NSW... No more daily news conferences in NSW from next week. still saying they expect the NSW peak to be in the next week or so with the 'R' number heading down below zero for the first time this outbreak
Forgive me for being thick but can the R be below zero? Thought 0.1 would be the minimum then zero would be literally no spreading of the virus?

For me, the obvious bonus for Oz is you're entering the spring/summer so there'll be less gathering indoors. It might buy you the time needed for the vaccines.
Tbh the whole thing is fascinating. We've done brilliantly in England with the vaccines but have a lot of excess deaths. That's been countered with keeping the economy going and trying to reduce longer term issues.

Back