Aurora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clear, I just went up last minute with a mate, wasn't gonna go. Wasn't organised enough to scout a spot before hand so trying to frame a picture in the pitch black is harder than I thought, especially when scrambling over rocks and the waves are crashing in
Aye, always pick your site in daylight. Was still cloudy at midnight here, and aurora forecast poor so went to bed. Might open up the obsy tonight.[DOUBLEPOST=1389438861][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nope, I kept looking out the window here and at midnight it was still overcast so gave it a miss. I might go out tonight to try some star trails as it's meant to be a crystal clear night. I fancy getting myself one of those astro mounts/heads and trying some deep space stuff in the future.
On another note, I watched a documentary last night on hiking up to that volcano that caused all the bother a few years back in Iceland. Amazing scenery, definitely on my bucket list.
:cool: Happy to show you the Astrotrac TT320X some time

Vixen Polarie or iOptron Skytracker are the other popular choices. Or make your own with a screw and two planks of wood.

Last edited:

Well I've hoyed a shot up on flickr but in not happy with it. Used to ISO 100 not 6400!

Nope, I kept looking out the window here and at midnight it was still overcast so gave it a miss. I might go out tonight to try some star trails as it's meant to be a crystal clear night. I fancy getting myself one of those astro mounts/heads and trying some deep space stuff in the future.
On another note, I watched a documentary last night on hiking up to that volcano that caused all the bother a few years back in Iceland. Amazing scenery, definitely on my bucket list.
Aye, still need to do Iceland myself

Got an email about 50% off private rooms at yha the other day, must look at it

No snow in west of Scotland yet I doubt

Couldn't believe how quickly the stars moved. 30 seconds really is the limit, probably better off with 20!

Aye. 600/F (where F is focal length of lens) is a useful rule of thumb for max exposure before trailing. Problem with a tracker is the foreground gets motion blurred instead. The usual solution is to bump up the ISO, which gives much better results with a 5d than my 30d.

After all the fuss this has been a damp squid for the uk hannit?

One cack photo from Wales is all I've seen

Aye, always pick your site in daylight. Was still cloudy at midnight here, and aurora forecast poor so went to bed. Might open up the obsy tonight.[DOUBLEPOST=1389438861][/DOUBLEPOST]

Vixen Polarie or iOptron Skytracker are the other popular choices. Or make your own with a screw and two planks of wood.
That's what I've been looking at.

Space weather is notoriously difficult to predict. Usually shite in this country too, no substitute for going to 65North.
Aye, that's the long and short of it

Hope you are back at work soon btw, you're a reet smb addict these days ;)

It's the most accurate tracker, good for tele lens shots (used mine at 200mm). IOptron and Polarie are more compact but better suited to wide shots.[DOUBLEPOST=1389442443][/DOUBLEPOST]

Signed off till 22nd dude.
Malingering get ;)

Hope it works out

Would it support a 5D3 + Sigma 120-400mm + 2x converter.

As long as your tripod will take them you will be fine, the astrotrac just acts as a turntable between two tripod heads. It doesn't do any load bearing. Some people use them with 15-20kg telescopes.

As long as your tripod will take them you will be fine, the astrotrac just acts as a turntable between two tripod heads. It doesn't do any load bearing. Some people use them with 15-20kg telescopes.
Great, I wouldn't mind having a look at that in action.

iOptron

iOptron are made in Nanjing - supposed to be pretty decent and very cost effective.

It might be possible to see the Northern Lights from Northern England tonight. Do you reckon they would be visible from the likes of Seaburn\Roker or Seaham beaches or would there be too much light pollution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back