Aurora

Status
Not open for further replies.

I got up to Druridge Bay, Bamburgh and Seahouses last night, didn't get home till 3am and I missed the best of the storm. A mate upthere got some crackers from the causeway at Holy Island. I'll post some up on flickr soon. Not as good as Dangerous' tho

If it's fine in the morning I might venture out for a sunrise, that's if I can drag my arse out of bed. Last time I was out with the camera was with you.

If it's fine in the morning I might venture out for a sunrise, that's if I can drag my arse out of bed. Last time I was out with the camera was with you.
Been out a lot but hardly anything around. Finally got a shot this eve after missing some quite nice light in Swaledale

Yup I caught them. Aurora forecasts were looking promising so I took a look down the street and thought I could just make out an auroral arc over the light pollution. So jmped in the car and off up to my usual spot near Edmundbyers.

At first there were just two green bars along the northern horizon. Admittedly this is pretty darn good for 55N, but by 8.30 there was a serious amount of red, and both colors visible to the naked eye. The display erupted into some pretty tall columns so the whole ensemble resembled a crown of thorns.

By 9.30 things had died back down a bit so thought I'd toddle up to Blanchland Common and catch it a bit better under darker skies. There was a second major eruption of red when I was driving up there, nearly crashed the car!

Filled two CF cards and used two batteries, absolutely magic stuff.

The pics on my Flickr page are just quick processes of jpegs, had the sense to take jpeg + RAW so may spend some time improving them when I get time.

smoker got it, seen the results on flickr.

Never even knew to expect it :(

You've got to be on your toes Ross, keep an eye on the forecasting websites (space weather, AUK on Facebook, Tromso stackplots) and be prepared to go at a moment's notice.[DOUBLEPOST=1393668853][/DOUBLEPOST]
Anyone heading out tonight ???
Smoker ????

I was at my astro soc last night, but bugger all apparently.[DOUBLEPOST=1393669100][/DOUBLEPOST]
Great pics. ISharper than mine, as I am using my old 30d so had to use Noise Ninja to get rid of the shite at iso1600. I really ought to get a full frame DSLR. Agree with ICBYD, a bit dark but you should have no probs tweaking the histogram, especially if you took RAWs.[DOUBLEPOST=1393669226][/DOUBLEPOST]PS not sure about car selfies if you own a Clio.;)

Last edited:
V good , just maybe a touch more exposure needed

Where is your Scotty one at the top?

If you mean the pano at the top of my Flickr its a 5 shot stitched pano from Rannock Moor.

Great pics. ISharper than mine, as I am using my old 30d so had to use Noise Ninja to get rid of the shite at iso1600. I really ought to get a full frame DSLR. Agree with ICBYD, a bit dark but you should have no probs tweaking the histogram, especially if you took RAWs.[DOUBLEPOST=1393669226][/DOUBLEPOST]PS not sure about car selfies if you own a Clio.;)

Cheers, The Clio is my sons first car - So hes still proud of it!
I shot all in raw, but I'm not that good/patient to sit and tweak my shots. Usually open in raw, tweak a bit, add lens correction, bit of vibrance and saturation then into PS for a bit of sharpening and a crop.[DOUBLEPOST=1393674853][/DOUBLEPOST]http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast/
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Europe
http://spaceweather.com/
Ive got these on my favourites and a couple of android apps, Aurora Alert and AuroraNotifier (Android)[DOUBLEPOST=1393674992][/DOUBLEPOST]
Canny them, where were they taken. Scotland ??

I went up to Druridge Bay, then upto Bamburgh and back to Seahouses when it kicked off again about 1am

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back