Ashamed of Being Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well your outgoings must be very reasonable.

Must be. Don't know the tax rules in Gibraltar but isn't 30k about 2k take he a month in the UK? Over £1100 disposable income aonth from that is good going.
I live in a rented property abroad at 23 with minimal debts in the UK.

Are you a scratter by any chance?

No mate. Between me and our lass we do canny. Better than you do but we must have bigger outgoings.

Last edited:
But it must be a new thing?
Don't think so. Groomsmen is just the collective term for the best man and the ushers. Even weddings I went to as a kid in the 80s always had an usher or two involved, to get people sat in the right places at the venue and round people up for photos etc.

Just get her to tell the bride that she can’t afford it. If the bride is a reasonable human being she’ll say she understands, if she’s a decent human being she’ll offer to pay for it.

Secondly, what kind of absolute gets their bridesmaids (or best men for that matter) to pay for the outfits for their own f***ing wedding.

On reflection, get your daughter to tell the bride to stick the whole idea up her hoop, the bloody cow.

Also, just in case, hi Spug.

When I was a kid everyone at school was playing tennis but when I asked for a tenner for a tennis racquet my mam said she didn't have it. I shared a lift with Boris Becker when I was on holiday recently and when I looked at him all I could think was if my mam had that tenner spare when I was 10 it could've been me standing in that lift.

Also, the bride and groom should be paying for the wedding, not their mates.

She
When I was a kid everyone at school was playing tennis but when I asked for a tenner for a tennis racquet my mam said she didn't have it. I shared a lift with Boris Becker when I was on holiday recently and when I looked at him all I could think was if my mam had that tenner spare when I was 10 it could've been me standing in that lift.

I wanted £2 for drumsticks back in the 70s (not chicken drumsticks) - My dad had died and we were well and truly skint so that was never going to happen. What might have been...

Like everyones saying, bride should be paying for her bridesmaids outfits. My daughter has been bridesmaid twice and she didn't pay for anything.

The most generous people I know are the ones that don't have 2 pennies to rub together.

My misses is very generous. Mainly due to a constant feeling of guilt if shes not. Its also the primary reason why she's had financial problems. If she was a little less generous, she wouldnt be skint.

And for OP, she was her mates bridesmaid not that long ago. The couple getting married paid for the dresses.

Last edited:
Not sure if OP is legit or being hypothetical , but will take at their word. a) You are not poor, that's negative, you just don't have the money (the route of all evil) at this point in time. b) If your daughter is the bridesmaid she must be pretty good mates with the bride and should be able to explain this situation, albeit they are both young but if the friend can't see this then she's not a good friend at all. c) The system is crooked, designed to consume...I tell people not to even get me Christmas cards, put the money in the poor sods on the streets cups insteads, a hug & greeting to the people that would be sending me xmas cards is ultimately superior to this consumer nonsense that gives people an extra burden to think about.

She

I wanted £2 for drumsticks back in the 70s (not chicken drumsticks) - My dad had died and we were well and truly skint so that was never going to happen. What might have been...
I liked this post but I want to clarify its because I feel your pain at that wasted potential, rather that liking the fact you couldn't have drumsticks.

So what you saying, buy the dress and shoes and maybe one day the daughter will get married?

I'm very grateful to those who offered donations and insulted by the insolence of those who say that I am a scammer. I never mentioned donations. I never asked for anything apart from advice and I am thankful to those who have given it.

As someone said, it is not a case for donations anyway, because there are more important things to spend money on.

I am pleased that it is not just me who thinks she should just say sorry but I can't afford it, now what? If she doesn't want her to be bridesmaid any more then she is no sort of friend.

I'm very grateful to those who offered donations and insulted by the insolence of those who say that I am a scammer. I never mentioned donations. I never asked for anything apart from advice and I am thankful to those who have given it.

As someone said, it is not a case for donations anyway, because there are more important things to spend money on.

I am pleased that it is not just me who thinks she should just say sorry but I can't afford it, now what? If she doesn't want her to be bridesmaid any more then she is no sort of friend.

Whilst normally its the bride who pays for these but.....
Whats the timescales? If its about a year then could the bride get them, then pay back £10 a month or whatever. There are actually a number of options (if its a decent timescale) whereby you can make the required money from various web apps like market research or playing the banks with cashback.

Whats the timescales? If its about a year then could the bride get them, then pay back £10 a month or whatever. There are actually a number of options (if its a decent timescale) whereby you can make the required money from various web apps like market research or playing the banks with cashback.

Sorry mate, that''s all too much hassle for normal folks IMO. The Bride just needs telting the score, like we use to do a few years back ;)

Sorry mate, that''s all too much hassle for normal folks IMO. The Bride just needs telting the score, like we use to do a few years back ;)

I agree the bride is taking the piss, but if someone is genuinely hard up, its worth knowing that you can make an additional few quid here & there which could make a big difference.

She shouldn’t be paying anything. The idea of asking someone to fork out for an outfit for your wedding when you’ve asked them to be centrally involved is pathetic. My mum sewed her own wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses in the 70s and did she fuck ask anyone for a contribution.

Bet the bride is a total toss pot.

Maybe the SMB can club together for the price of the outfit and shoes plus some lion shite to toss at the bride.

Last edited:
She shouldn’t be paying anything. The idea of asking someone to fork out for an outfit for your wedding when you’ve asked them to be centrally involved is pathetic. My mum sewed her own wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses in the 70s and did she fuck ask anyone for a contribution.

Bet the bride is a total toss pot.

I totally agree. But if she really wants to be bridesmaid, and the bride wont budge then sometimes you do end up doing things you dont agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back