Ashamed of Being Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't understand the offence you are taking , I think this is a scam and if the poster can prove otherwise I will happily eat my words and donate a tenner
I’m not taking any offence. It’s way below your station. Be content

I don't understand the offence you are taking , I think this is a scam and if the poster can prove otherwise I will happily eat my words and donate a tenner
That’s understandable and would want some sort of proof. Happy to help out other fans, donated money for some flowers for a Dutch blokes missus ffs.

I've been poor all my life. Never had a mortgage, currently got about 4k debt and 500 quid in the bank. Doesn't bother me in the slightest and its sad that people are so obsessive over money and wealth. The most generous people I know are the ones that don't have 2 pennies to rub together.
Thats why, well off people tend to be as tight as a fishes arese.

We are obviously a poor family on a very low income and have been this way for many years. Although sometimes we are also called needy, underclass, destitute and other current buzz words, I prefer 'poor' because it's simple to understand and is the word used down through history.

I've never been worried about saying that I'm poor. People know we exist. There are poor people around, so why be ashamed to say it?

However, my daughter (19) who is a paramedic student, has been asked to be a bridesmaid at a rich friend's wedding. After she had said yes, the bride said "oh great, here's a link to where you can buy the bridesmaid dress I want for £80 and the special silver shoes for £50. It goes without saying that this is a fantasy amount of money for us. We haven't got it plain and simple. The daughter lives on her hardship grant money and a part time job in a care home.

I say that she should not be ashamed to say sorry, I don't have that sort of money because it will show her up as being poor. I say that's stupid and the richies ought to be paying in the first place anyway.

What do YOU think? Should she starve and buy the stuff herself without saying anything just to save face? Why are people ashamed to say they're poor?
Society was brainwashed into thinking the poor were a drain, that all people on benefits were scroungers,those at the bottom just needed to work harder and they wouldn't be poor by the Tories, divide and conquer tactics so they could take from the poor and no one would care, they deserved it. It worked and they did.

Not really I normally wouldn't comment but for a wedding £130 is fairly reasonable, if you really can't afford it just tell the friend and I'm sure they'd pay it remember most of us won't think others can't afford something reasonably priced like this. Also this is the same person who said they thought everyone should be allocated houses dependent on how many kids they had regardless of income.

It will be GK or sidneyeric etc on a windup account
I only have 1 account on here and have had 2 in the last 12 years or so that I've been on here, I don't post "wum" type stuff on here unlike some...

Oh and I'm poor myself (work p/t), but I get by as best I can and make sure my bairn has everything he needs (but the most important things are free like love, affection, attention, guidance, support, understanding, providing a safe and stable home etc).
I save all year round for Christmas, Birthdays, uniform and stuff for our home when needed - we don't have holidays, such is life.

Used to refit shops about 10 years ago. When we ripped out checkout areas and shelving in the poorer areas we found a fortune in £1 coins etc. In the more affluent areas nothing. Thats how they are rich, wouldnt give you a fright

I only have 1 account on here and have had 2 in the last 12 years or so that I've been on here, I don't post "wum" type stuff on here unlike some...
He’s got a cheek as he’s just listed four previous ids with lifetime bans

Rich person wants a bridesmade dress for only £80
Nah dont think so, somethings not right here
Thats what i think

We are obviously a poor family on a very low income and have been this way for many years. Although sometimes we are also called needy, underclass, destitute and other current buzz words, I prefer 'poor' because it's simple to understand and is the word used down through history.

I've never been worried about saying that I'm poor. People know we exist. There are poor people around, so why be ashamed to say it?

However, my daughter (19) who is a paramedic student, has been asked to be a bridesmaid at a rich friend's wedding. After she had said yes, the bride said "oh great, here's a link to where you can buy the bridesmaid dress I want for £80 and the special silver shoes for £50. It goes without saying that this is a fantasy amount of money for us. We haven't got it plain and simple. The daughter lives on her hardship grant money and a part time job in a care home.

I say that she should not be ashamed to say sorry, I don't have that sort of money because it will show her up as being poor. I say that's stupid and the richies ought to be paying in the first place anyway.

What do YOU think? Should she starve and buy the stuff herself without saying anything just to save face? Why are people ashamed to say they're poor?

Say nothing except I really can’t afford that?
The response will go a long way to determine the sort of people who are getting married.
Be proud of your Daughter like, I know you will be.
I’m a poor kid that has done alright but do you know what “the who I really am” will and has never changed.
Anyone who judges themselves on the money they earn don’t usually cut it with me
:cool:

There was a time when I did but ironically i earn far more now and have far less, homes and family can be expensive

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back