Ashamed of Being Poor

My first thought was to stick £20 in too but the more I think about it, its just funding the rich birds wedding. Explain her financial obligation for her own wedding and if she won't yoke wish her a happy wedding day is the answer.
I was of the thinking that the bridesmaids dresses are paid for too. But if your daughter doesn’t want to ask I can understand and if she’s a massive lads fan and is going to be out there saving lives one day as a paramedic I’d be happy to chip in too. Let us know and hoy up a paypal link or something.

Standard reply from you. Run along now. You are all right and that’s all that matters
Not really I normally wouldn't comment but for a wedding £130 is fairly reasonable, if you really can't afford it just tell the friend and I'm sure they'd pay it remember most of us won't think others can't afford something reasonably priced like this. Also this is the same person who said they thought everyone should be allocated houses dependent on how many kids they had regardless of income.

It will be GK or sidneyeric etc on a windup account

Not really I normally wouldn't comment but for a wedding £130 is fairly reasonable, if you really can't afford it just tell the friend and I'm sure they'd pay it remember most of us won't think others can't afford something reasonably priced like this. Also this is the same person who said they thought everyone should be allocated houses dependent on how many kids they had regardless of income.

It will be GK or sidneyeric etc on a windup account
Don’t worry yourself. These things are way below your station

We are obviously a poor family on a very low income and have been this way for many years. Although sometimes we are also called needy, underclass, destitute and other current buzz words, I prefer 'poor' because it's simple to understand and is the word used down through history.

I've never been worried about saying that I'm poor. People know we exist. There are poor people around, so why be ashamed to say it?

However, my daughter (19) who is a paramedic student, has been asked to be a bridesmaid at a rich friend's wedding. After she had said yes, the bride said "oh great, here's a link to where you can buy the bridesmaid dress I want for £80 and the special silver shoes for £50. It goes without saying that this is a fantasy amount of money for us. We haven't got it plain and simple. The daughter lives on her hardship grant money and a part time job in a care home.

I say that she should not be ashamed to say sorry, I don't have that sort of money because it will show her up as being poor. I say that's stupid and the richies ought to be paying in the first place anyway.

What do YOU think? Should she starve and buy the stuff herself without saying anything just to save face? Why are people ashamed to say they're poor?
As has been said, if you’re asked to be part of a wedding, you shouldn’t be handed a bill. As you’ve said, you should never be ashamed of not having as much money as somebody else. But you completely invalidate your whole post by saying “I say that's stupid and the richies ought to be paying in the first place anyway.”

A kind bride would buy the bridesmaids outfits, a tight twat wouldn't. I would rather not be a bridesmaid if the bride pushed the financial burden onto me knowing that I wasn't in a position to be able to afford it.
I'd also be wary of offering financial assistance online, especially after the "Andyreidslovechil" fiasco ;).

Fair enough to everyone who answered my question.

I think because of what I earn, my outgoings and my age, I'm a bit out of touch with what's a 'considerable' sum of cash if you get me.

Back