Are Jews Evil?

I’m learning here. Any links that confirm Jews were allowed to lend money but at the same time be persecuted? My knowledge is very low. I’ve visited more than one atrocitie site so I’m not totally insensitive to the historical events.

Could start with 'The Merchant of Venice' by Shakespeare.
Or google the massacre of the Jews in York or dozens of other instances throughout medieval Europe. The expulsion of the Jews by Ferdinand and Isabella in Andalusia is an interesting episode and shows ethnic cleansing no modern day concept
My understanding was that in medieval society making money by interest was regarded as sinful as only God could create. Jews had a function in money lending and obviously charged interest. That they could 'create' wealth was regarded as sinful,Ungodly. As such they were despised and as they grew rich obviously victims of envious attack. The Medicis similary borrowed from Jews to fund their Kingdoms and so the pattern repeated.

Went to Hillview Junior school and there were quite a few Jewish kids who went as well, as at the time there was still a Jewish community in the town.
They were all impeccably behaved and although they tended to keep themselves to themselves they weren't a bother to anyone.
I think most of the families were in the Ashbrooke area and apart from seeing them walking down to the synagogue on a Saturday you didn't know they were there.
Whatever society Jewish people are in they just seem to be law abiding and peaceful.
The Israel situation is a different matter of course.

Or google the massacre of the Jews in York or dozens of other instances throughout medieval Europe. The expulsion of the Jews by Ferdinand and Isabella in Andalusia is an interesting episode and shows ethnic cleansing no modern day concept
My understanding was that in medieval society making money by interest was regarded as sinful as only God could create. Jews had a function in money lending and obviously charged interest. That they could 'create' wealth was regarded as sinful,Ungodly. As such they were despised and as they grew rich obviously victims of envious attack. The Medicis similary borrowed from Jews to fund their Kingdoms and so the pattern repeated.
Thank you for posting all of that - it’s a lot more informative and erudite than what I was going to type!

More reading:
Usury - Wikipedia

How can you generalise about a race of people who span the range of personalities from Netanahu through Stephen Fry not forgetting Sigmund Freud and Albert Einstien, Dylan, Galileo, Cohen, etc etc..

Two of my closest male friends are Jewish and one of my closest female friends is too. All are intelligent, high performing, funny, generous and secular.
I dont pick up any aspect of them being evil. Each of them are humanitarians and there is no sense of anything other than unease at the excesses that have occured within the occupied South Bank.
I think this thread title is very poor.
The title isn't poor, it's just easy to argue against ;)

I miss the full on Hasidic Sunderland Jews, never knew any of them but they were class when I was a kid, they were a total novelty back in the day before I’d ever seen a black person in real life (as some kind of comparison).

Now I’ve read up on them and their contribution to Sunderland and the great people they were I wish they were still here.

Bring back the Jews.

Last edited:

Nice post mate.

Mother was very religious so mingled with all religions growing up and never ever found anything wrong, didn’t even notice any difference, didn’t expect to.
So went to work in Hendon in London for a couple of months, in the 90s, stayed near to where Henry Cooper lived at the time, he was my customer.
Very Jewish community and the caretaker of the shopping complex approached me and said
“ by the time you back to Sunderland son, you will realise why Hitler did what he did”
f***ing gobsmacked, stupid twat.
Yes there was the odd strange Jewish bloke, but nowt unusual, in fact got invited to a few Jewish homes for tea, and took me round London showing me the sights.
What didn’t help me was my paperboy decided he would substitute Razzle for the Sunday times magazine, got irate men and woman giving me 6 nowt, saying I would be sacked in the morning.
But didn’t get them all back :)

Dunno about evil, but in my experience they can be among the most arrogant people. They’re God’s chosen people after all.

Went to Hillview Junior school and there were quite a few Jewish kids who went as well, as at the time there was still a Jewish community in the town.
They were all impeccably behaved and although they tended to keep themselves to themselves they weren't a bother to anyone.
I think most of the families were in the Ashbrooke area and apart from seeing them walking down to the synagogue on a Saturday you didn't know they were there.
Whatever society Jewish people are in they just seem to be law abiding and peaceful.
The Israel situation is a different matter of course.
See this taking land from the Palestinians by force thing? Nobody bats an eyelid.
But try and take Kuwait by force. Or Poland and the Low Countries and what happens?
Can someone please explain why it’s different?

Last edited:
Dunno about evil, but in my experience they can be among the most arrogant people. They’re God’s chosen people after all.

See this taking land from the Palestinians by force thing? Nobody bats an eyelid.
But try and take Kuwait by force. Or Poland and the Low Countries and what happens?
Can someone please explain why it’s different?
That wasn’t my slant.
Read the last line though.

Back