Anyone got a Persimmon house.

We're looking at a Taylor Wimpey. Thread like this get me nervous.

Has anyone ever had a snagging company come out before completing? Ive heard its worth doing incase of any major problems.
I worked as a subbie for all the large developers, TW were excellent, as were Barratt David Wilson. Persimmon are shitehawks.

Last edited:

Persimmon used to be one of the better ones but are struggling with their reputation these days. Apparently the quality has gone downhill quite a bit. Having said that, the house builders generally just throw them up as fast as they can these days. Some sites will be better than others - depending on whether there is a site manager who cares or not.

They've got permission to build on a pond in Fencehouses. Development is called Rainton Gardens.

It's near where my Dad lives and the pond has been there as long as anyone can remember and the field it's in floods easily.

They're going to put a great bloody attenuation tank in the ground. What could possibly go wrong?
Unfortunately all sorts of environmental bodies would have warned against it during the planning phase, I seem to remember a lot of public objections because of the floods. Council agreed it though.

Unfortunately all sorts of environmental bodies would have warned against it during the planning phase, I seem to remember a lot of public objections because of the floods. Council agreed it though.

They buried some huge field drains years ago and they made no difference. Residents in the surrounding areas are worried that any botch by persimmon might result in the flooding of their properties.

No idea if it was a Persimmon home or not but a woman at work bought a new build a couple of years ago. Like most people she just uses the shower rather than bothering with a bath. One night she decided she would have a bath. She's lying in the bath and her partner came running up the stairs to say water was coming through the ceiling downstairs. When they took the side panel off the bath they saw that the plumber hadn't bothered to plumb in the overflow. When she contacted the builder initially they said because it was outside the snagging period they wouldn't fix it! She had a big fight with them and eventually they agreed to fix it after she had threatened to go to the papers.

No offence intended, but you will have overpaid for the house.

Avant are very high spec and want you to have that wow moment when you walk in. Unfortunately they overprice for that pleasure.

Persimmon on the other hand are utter scum bags, but you get more house for your money. Same goes for Gleeson.

Have had dealings with most major builders in my previous line of work and would say Miller on balance are the best.
I know one of the Regional Directors. Comes across as a bit of a wide boy. Also drives a very nice car so lots of money in it for the big bosses

I live in a Taylor Wimpey. Had loads of problems and they were shite at sorting them but got them done eventually. Still not happy with a few things but couldn't be arsed whinging anymore.

Is this in the Northeast? Our lasses mate is the lass you will be whinging to about your snags if so.

What sorts of issues mate?

I worked as a subbie for all the large developers, TW were excellent, as were Barratt David Wilson. Persimmon are shitehawks.
We’ve got a TW new build (2 and a half years old). There are a couple of things they could have done better (slow to react to some of our snagging, shite paint on the skirting boards that flakes off like tipex, not impressed with the quality of the kitchen but it’ll do) but otherwise we are very happy. We love our house.

Rooms are a decent size, soundproofing is good, layout is good, we’ve got one of the best plots on the estate etc
We're looking at a Taylor Wimpey. Thread like this get me nervous.

Has anyone ever had a snagging company come out before completing? Ive heard its worth doing incase of any major problems.
I’ve got a TW. Very happy with it, see above.
Its fleecehold that appears to the main problem on a lot of new build estate like the one becs mentioned. House is freehold but council wont adopt surrounding land, so end up with ridiculous maintenance charges for cutting the grass & that.
We are something like £17 a year. My parents are in an estate that’s about 15 years old and their factoring fee is something like £13 a year. It’s hardly ridiculous.

Last edited:
I've worked on lots of different housing developments in Cumbria. The persimmon ones were the worst. I was talking to one subbie who called their customers 'victims'. I once laid a back garden patio while the people were bringing in their furniture through the front door. I know one house that didn't have their outside shit pipe connected to the drains so after 2 days his toilet was blocked and we had to dig it all out and connect it.

However they all seem to be similar, get them thrown up and sold then sort any issues after. I'm currently working on a story homes site they have loads of daft little details and you can see some trades just cut corners and hope no-one picks up on it because they are pushed to get the finished as soon as possible.

I know somewhere that got the building inspector to pass off internal drainage, then they took it out and used it in the next house because they didn't have the materials and needed the houses passing off. There are too many new builds going up top quickly for my liking and the prices are beyond stupid for what they are

I would personally stay well clear of persimmons , they have the best profits for a reason. They cut corners at ever opportunity.

Were they not putting 17 parts sand to 1 part cement and people's bricks were literally falling out once the sandy cement had blown away.

If they are putting in NDA agreements now they are not confident that the work is of a high standard.

I would be looking at the contract with a magnifying glass. Especially if it is a leasehold.

We’ve got a TW new build (2 and a half years old). There are a couple of things they could have done better (slow to react to some of our snagging, shite paint on the skirting boards that flakes off like tipex, not impressed with the quality of the kitchen but it’ll do) but otherwise we are very happy. We love our house.

Rooms are a decent size, soundproofing is good, layout is good, we’ve got one of the best plots on the estate etc

We are something like £17 a year. My parents are in an estate that’s about 15 years old and their factoring fee is something like £13 a year. It’s hardly ridiculous.

Sounds like you're one of the lucky ones. There has been some absolute horror stories mind

Do you say to your neighbours and visitors “that’s not a house, this is a house”?

Sounds like you're one of the lucky ones. There has been some absolute horror stories mind
Scotland doesn’t have leasehold and factoring fees on maintenance of shared areas has been around for years so the companies up here are maybe just better at it.

There used to be an open space in our village. The top half had football goals and a playpark on it. The bottom half was wild grass, trees and shrubs. It was popular with dog walkers but flooded in bad weather as it's at the bottom of some hills and all the water pools there. Persimmon claimed there was no historic evidence of flooding and refused to listen to existing residents who have plodged through it on a regular basis!

My friend has a house next to it. She has a tiny front garden then the field. They view over the field and the fact the bairns could run in and out safely was a massive factor in buying it.

Persimmon bought the land and managed to shoehorn approx 70 houses by building three story town houses. They look ugly! My poor friend now has a view of a back fence and the bairns have lost their playing out space.

The houses at the bottom end keep complaining as when it rains heavily, their back gardens are underwater.

After complaints by locals about loss of play facilities, Persimmon agreed to put in a small play park. However they've put some legal thing in the selling documents that nobody has picked up on. On completion of the estate, the play park is now owned by about 60 of the 70 houses (the affordable housing ones don't have to pay). Those households are responsible for all costs regarding the park, including maintained and upkeep and and compensation claims should someone get injured. They don't want to pay as some don't have small children and others don't think it's fair as children from all over the village will play in the park. The council cannot adopt the park due to this legal thing. I don't really understand it but until it gets sorted, the playpark is locked and nobody is allowed to play in it.

So yeah, I hate Persimmon!
Pelton?

Back