Anyone got a Persimmon house.

The government are promoting MMC ( modern methods of construction) for the house building industry. That is off site modular and system assembly and finishing. Your new bathroom pod could be factory assembled , tiled ,wired, plumbed , shrink wrapped and dropped into the new home - same with kitchens etc..... just connect up and unwrap.
An manufacturing / engineering approach rather than an artisan/ trade approach.Just in Time delivery would solve a lot of problems.

Housebuilding is location driven and it’s hardly surprising that standards are poor building on cold wet sites in all weathers , 1st and 2nd fix reliance, delivery issues blah blah.

Trouble is that MMC is light years behind other manufacturing processes for house builders but a forthcoming skills shortage and the aim for 300,000 new homes per year will put MMC front and centre moving forward.

Chilton Moor?? Yeah. They insist on a maintenance charge on all estates to look after the green area. £115 per annum. Recon council won’t maintain them so has to go private.
Built on a field that's flooded for years innumerable. I don't care what ground works they've done it'll still have to settle. There some nice looking houses on the edge of the estate but I wadn't move there.

Why should I expect a friend or relative to sit in the house waiting for upto 10 hours for them to turn up. And the site agent wasnt there every day.

They should be going out of their way to sort out their shite workmanship that caused the problems in the first place

The site agent would have been there or you could have left him a note to ring you to organise a remedial visit , ffs it’s not rocket science.

Keep insisting on weekend remedial work and I’ll politely suggest you’ll have a long wait.

Sometimes in life you can’t get your own way and you have to compromise, this is one of them.

Give you something else to moan about in the staff room I suppose.

I do.

They have a bad rep for build quality but my estate has barratt, persimmon, story and one other i cant remember (part of barratt group i think?) and the same crews built all of the houses, you'd see a fella who was building a story house wall with a rep for better quality building a persimmon one the next one so structurally pretty much identical.

Where it seems to get you is the quality of finish internally. If you buy the optional extras like added tiling in the bathrooms, upgraded kitchens, fitted flooring and carpets etc EVERYONE on the estate has had some issues, the people in persimmon estates more than any - i know one guy whose tiling was over a wonky wall in the bathroom and they sent the young lad who was some sort of builders mate who did the tiling to "put it right". Managing to match the tiles was apparently a pain as well as nowhere seems to sell such thin badly finished tiles.

I didnt have them do anything (asked them to leave the skirting off so i could floor out and fit it myself so it was fine. Some minor issues of course - a bathroom window was unfrosted but they fixed it pretty smartish.

The site agent would have been there or you could have left him a note to ring you to organise a remedial visit , ffs it’s not rocket science.

Keep insisting on weekend remedial work and I’ll politely suggest you’ll have a long wait.

Sometimes in life you can’t get your own way and you have to compromise, this is one of them.

Give you something else to moan about in the staff room I suppose.

At the end of the day, when it's their error they're sorting out, after I've been flexible when they originally should have sorted it out, the onus is on them to be more flexible. They should pay someone extra to come out on a weekend if need be instead of completely wasting my time & being completely unapologetic about it.

At the end of the day, when it's their error they're sorting out, after I've been flexible when they originally should have sorted it out, the onus is on them to be more flexible. They should pay someone extra to come out on a weekend if need be instead of completely wasting my time & being completely unapologetic about it.

Enjoy the wait .

Building a lot and of houses in the area. Anyone got a persimmon house and thoughts..

No different to any other builder. They all use the same subbies throughout the region. Doesn't matter who you buy off, they all expand and contract over summer and winter so expect loads of cracks to appear in the first 2 years

The government are promoting MMC ( modern methods of construction) for the house building industry. That is off site modular and system assembly and finishing. Your new bathroom pod could be factory assembled , tiled ,wired, plumbed , shrink wrapped and dropped into the new home - same with kitchens etc..... just connect up and unwrap.
An manufacturing / engineering approach rather than an artisan/ trade approach.Just in Time delivery would solve a lot of problems.

Housebuilding is location driven and it’s hardly surprising that standards are poor building on cold wet sites in all weathers , 1st and 2nd fix reliance, delivery issues blah blah.

Trouble is that MMC is light years behind other manufacturing processes for house builders but a forthcoming skills shortage and the aim for 300,000 new homes per year will put MMC front and centre moving forward.
Worked on a hotel where the bathroom was plonked in with wardrobe built on outside and the room built around that. Worked very well, bathroom made in cramlington, furniture panels shipped in from turkey and fitted in Gateshead before being sent to London and craned into place.

We’ve reserved with Avant, house is built and pretty much finished, just waiting on the chain, mortgage, legal stuff etc.
Very nervous about buying our first new build
No offence intended, but you will have overpaid for the house.

Avant are very high spec and want you to have that wow moment when you walk in. Unfortunately they overprice for that pleasure.

Persimmon on the other hand are utter scum bags, but you get more house for your money. Same goes for Gleeson.

Have had dealings with most major builders in my previous line of work and would say Miller on balance are the best.

Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, we bought one from them about 6 years ago we were promised the house of your dreams. Nothing could be further from their promise, the snagging report we gave them was 3 pages long and that was only the first draft as they lost it 4 or 5 times. It became a bit of a running joke and the Site Supervisor eventually was moved on to another site and the new bloke came in who was a lot better. We had so many issues like sockets in the wrong place, extra ones paid for that weren't even installed, taps in the wrong place, tiles that did not match was a particular favourite of mine. Flooring that was warped and re-laid twice. My biggest bug bear is whenever I take a panel off to either sort out a leak or some other job the amount of rubbish left from the initial build is obscene, crisp packets, paper towels, bottles it just staggers me. It came to the point where I have given up with them and I just fix everything myself as even when they come to fix it they don't do a good job. For the amount we paid you'd expect something amazing to start with unfortunately we didn't get that but never mind the wife and kids seem happy there now.

Best idea would be to buy a new build second hand surely. All problems sorted and cheaper price probably.
Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, we bought one from them about 6 years ago we were promised the house of your dreams. Nothing could be further from their promise, the snagging report we gave them was 3 pages long and that was only the first draft as they lost it 4 or 5 times. It became a bit of a running joke and the Site Supervisor eventually was moved on to another site and the new bloke came in who was a lot better. We had so many issues like sockets in the wrong place, extra ones paid for that weren't even installed, taps in the wrong place, tiles that did not match was a particular favourite of mine. Flooring that was warped and re-laid twice. My biggest bug bear is whenever I take a panel off to either sort out a leak or some other job the amount of rubbish left from the initial build is obscene, crisp packets, paper towels, bottles it just staggers me. It came to the point where I have given up with them and I just fix everything myself as even when they come to fix it they don't do a good job. For the amount we paid you'd expect something amazing to start with unfortunately we didn't get that but never mind the wife and kids seem happy there now.
Get someone in and send them the bill.

Last edited:
Bought mine new from them 5 years ago. No major issues but lots of cosmetic problems needed sorted. Sent one bloke round to do stuff and he was laughably inept, like he was on work experience, I could have done a better job.

I could fill a few pages with the issues I had. Apart from a massive flood and my drive subsiding,( taking my sons car with it). They are a wonderful company. ( NOT)

They've got permission to build on a pond in Fencehouses. Development is called Rainton Gardens.

It's near where my Dad lives and the pond has been there as long as anyone can remember and the field it's in floods easily.

They're going to put a great bloody attenuation tank in the ground. What could possibly go wrong?

Back