Anyone got a Persimmon house.

Persimmon built a couple of estate down our way in Kent just a couple of years back and in the semi detached homes it was discovered that they had been built with no cavity barriers to prevent the spread of fire and smoke. I should have thought that the Building Inspector might have spotted it during construction but apparently neither Persimmon of he noticed.

I would suggest you might need to get a good survey done if looking at their homes.
That'll be what all their 1-star reviews on trust pilot are about recently then. Their cut n paste reply to every one of them is probably a worse indictment than silence. I've looked at a few Persimmon developments recently as well, it's certainly gave me food for thought.

stuff like that is just urban myth nonsense tbh - they buy their mortar readymixed

Maybe the ready mix was 17 parts sand?

I was just quoting this which i read a couple of years ago.

To be honest i have the same chance of building a space ship as a house, zero. Construction and the workings of it are not my forte.

Edit im talking shit. that report doesnt say the mortar was Persimmons. Always thought it did. I just have a dislike of new builds.

Last edited:
Maybe the ready mix was 17 parts sand?

I was just quoting this which i read a couple of years ago.

To be honest i have the same chance of building a space ship as a house, zero. Construction and the workings of it are not my forte.

Edit im talking shit. that report doesnt say the mortar was Persimmons. Always thought it did. I just have a dislike of new builds.

I drilled my house number thing into the mortar & it was pretty solid. Theres also a few splashes of of cement here & there which havent yet washed off so it's not the case on mine.

Dunno how long cement is meant to last, but my parents had to get their 60's house repainted about 10 years back as the mortar was starting to crumble.

I drilled my house number thing into the mortar & it was pretty solid. Theres also a few splashes of of cement here & there which havent yet washed off so it's not the case on mine.

Dunno how long cement is meant to last, but my parents had to get their 60's house repainted about 10 years back as the mortar was starting to crumble.
The house I’ve just sold needs repointing. Apparently already done before I move in 20 years ago. So averaging 20 years. (40 year old house)...few of my mates worked on it and they said they were nicking plaster/concrete (can see the brick outline on painted walls) the lot off site. So certainly not a new thing...

Last edited:
What’s the proper mix 4/1 or 5/1? 17 may as well take it off the beach😌wouldn’t hold Lego.
usually 1/3 below ground and 1/4 above

had seen that report before but forgot about it, have never heard any more about it either. I don't think it was just Persimmon either, suspect it might have been an issue with one of the dry silo mortar suppliers but can't find anything on a search

had seen that report before but forgot about it, have never heard any more about it either. I don't think it was just Persimmon either, suspect it might have been an issue with one of the dry silo mortar suppliers but can't find anything on a search
Taylor wimped wasn’t it? If NDA are in force you won’t.

Daughter was in the process of buying one of their show homes.
It came fitted out for an extra £9k which you needed to pay regardless that the furniture and beds were crap and they had their own.
Of that £9k there must have been £6k worth of mirrors every room,every wall

Daughter was in the process of buying one of their show homes.
It came fitted out for an extra £9k which you needed to pay regardless that the furniture and beds were crap and they had their own.
Of that £9k there must have been £6k worth of mirrors every room,every wall
Mirrors in show homes are an old marketing trick to make the rooms look bigger ( and brighter.)

username makes sense

Ffs got a meeting on Sunday with view to buying a Persimmon house at Sherburn Villiage. Might not bother now, what's anyone thoughts before I spend 160k on some shite?

Back