Another dead Friday night in Sunlun....wtf

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunderland council dont help matters with their shit parking policies. If going for a meal out and taking the car I wouldnt consider Sunderland over the free parking in Newcastle.

Do you have your meals at McDonalds? Cos otherwise 3 quid on parking is fuck all if you are having a decent meal. Anyway, most of the parking is free after 6pm.

To be fair you can get an uber from the middle of Newcastle to hylton castle for circa £15, it's about £12 to my door from Sunderland in a station taxi

How often are you alone in a taxi as well if you go out with the lads? I've never understood that logic, some of my mates don't go to Newcastle for fear of haemorrhaging cash and honestly you might spend an extra £20 or £30 over the course of the night yet have a far far better night drinking nice drinks, eating nice food in a vibrant city, full of interesting, attractive people, sitting in nice bars, listening to good music

Or you can save yourself £30 and go to vesta tilleys for "cheap pints" and bump into all the same losers from school who look 10 year older than you with their best Fred Perry polo top on with the button done up. Then end up in Arizona or cooper rose and dance to 15 year old tunes, it's just bleak man. Town is areet for a laugh once or twice a year but it's more to laugh at the place to be honest.

If £30 is the difference between being able to afford or not afford a night out then that's exactly the problem we face as a city, everyone's f***ing skint
Mate i work for station, i picked a lass up who had been ripped off the previous week by newcastle cab driver, charged her £62 ! I took her from central newcastle to wear view (redhouse), on tariff 2, it clocked £17.40.

Many of the large cities in UK have shops opening up to 6pm and later. But they also have a better offer to keep people there (bars, restaurants, live music venues etc) which Sunderland can't compete with.

Once upon a time Sunderland could boast venues that featured bands like Pink Floyd, The Stones, The Who, Free, Family and a host of other cracking bands. It can happen if people have ambition and flair.

Need to add that it is a different Uni crowd too. Newcastle and Northumbria University's, since the city is now known for its nightlife, attracted people that want to party. Sunderland (if I am not mistaken) is largely foreign students? Who party much less on average.

Sunderland nightlife is f***ing tragic like.

I'm a uni student away at the moment but when i come back home and want a night out, it's Newcastle every time.

The only time people really go out to town for a night out, unless they're scratters, is if they can't be arsed to get ready and fancy a laugh at how shit it is :lol:

Once upon a time Sunderland could boast venues that featured bands like Pink Floyd, The Stones, The Who, Free, Family and a host of other cracking bands. It can happen if people have ambition and flair.
I've always said The Vaux site should have a major venue, not like the bog standard arena.
Where major acts could perform, it would bring people in.

I'm a uni student away at the moment but when i come back home and want a night out, it's Newcastle every time.

The only time people really go out to town for a night out, unless they're scratters, is if they can't be arsed to get ready and fancy a laugh at how shit it is :lol:
Snob.

That could be said about many places, back in the 60's & 70's bands toured a lot more in smaller venues. Arenas didn't exist.
My dad saw big name bands (including Free) in the Argus Butterfly, Peterlee.

I don't think will happen again, bands always opt for the larger city with the arena.
And even when people have tried to put bands on, people haven't turned up in the numbers needed for it to work.

And you're part of the reason its tragic.
Personally I'm of an age now where I just want a few pints with the lads, and for that reason I'd chose Sunderland everytime.
Newcastle is just too much hassle. Owa lass went on a hen do there last year, and she had the same opinion. It was too busy & kept being knocked & pushed about.

Last edited:
imho social media has killed off the boozer - used to go out to have a laugh and find out what everyone had been up to in the week. Now 90% of what would have been pubworthy has been done to death on facebook or similar.

A lot of younuns are more arsed about making sure they are "checked in" in the right places on FB than they are about enjoying their night out. Social media has created a culture of people who are more arsed about trying to show people they wouldn't talk to in the street how exciting their life is than actually just enjoying a night out. Preferring to spend a fortune on some bait and a few drinks to make sure they can let people know how cool they are than just going out and getting pissed.
As long as you are pissed and with mates you can have a good night anywhere.

Once you're of an age where you're more arsed about a decent drop and cant be arsed with a load of young uns and shite music bursting your ear drums Sunderland is fine. In fact Id say its got better what Id call proper pubs than Newcastle.

Once you're of an age where you're more arsed about a decent drop and cant be arsed with a load of young uns and shite music bursting your ear drums Sunderland is fine. In fact Id say its got better what Id call proper pubs than Newcastle.

I agree with that, got mates that won't go into bars that are "too expensive", I think they are good at keeping out the riffraff.

Same here. Weirdly it is the lad who earns the most out of us all who drinks shite beer and whinges about prices.
Even if you're paying an extra quid a pint it's only going to cost you about a tenner across the night. If you drink 10 pints a day then I guess it mounts up, for a couple of nights a month who gives a shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back