Another dead Friday night in Sunlun....wtf

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if you're paying an extra quid a pint it's only going to cost you about a tenner across the night. If you drink 10 pints a day then I guess it mounts up, for a couple of nights a month who gives a shit.
No matter where I go or what I drink I always seem to spend around about the same. Far more than I am capable of drinking. :lol:

Was in the Ivy, Barnetts and Sam's Bar Friday night. Ivy was busy as usual, there was a decent crown in Barnetts although it wasn't full but I was surprised how empty it was in Sam's Bar as it's always been pretty full when I've been in.

Reactions: ebb
Part of it, IMO, is the fact that the majority of places sell generic shite. Why should I pay £4 for a pint of Carling or Fosters when I can buy a crate for £10? I'd never drink that stuff anyway tbh.

I prefer going out in the day now - go someone good with some proper beers on, German lagers, saisons, pale ales etc and have a day/early evening sesh. Huddersfield is particularly good for this - you've got the rat and ratchet, the grove, the corner, arcade beer shop, the sportsman, magic rock.

The decline of the local bar is more depressing than the shitness of our town centre imo.
Mind you. We all went through Newcastle couple weeks ago, my first time in about 12 year, got there about 2 on a Saturday afternoon. By about 4/5 ish the bars we were in were already busy. Stayed around the Grey street area and Dean Street area. Revs, botonist and that. Really enjoyed myself. Pissed myself in Harry's bar at around half 7 and had to go home.

The Worm was pretty full for Blue Diamond like.

Greens was dead like - turn weren't that clever neither, though I enjoyed the keyboardist doing Piano Man.

Life of Riley neither here nor there and the lads wanted to gan back to fuckin' Houghton after that. :rolleyes:

Do you have your meals at McDonalds? Cos otherwise 3 quid on parking is fuck all if you are having a decent meal. Anyway, most of the parking is free after 6pm.
McDonalds have a drive-thru. My point was Sunderland is desolate and unappealing. Half the places shut down. The council has ran the place down and dosen't do anything to try and attract people into the city centre.
I live in Washington so half way between Sunderland and Newcastle. Like somebody has previously mentioned Newcastle is a much better night with much better bars and restaurants.
Just fancied a change so went through to Lucianos as I hadnt been there for years, probably wouldnt go back.

Explain? You can't park anywhere in Sunderland without getting parking tickets. Hosptals, matchdays and even had one with 10 minutes left in the city centre.

It'll probably work out cheaper paying the couple of pound for parking than the cost of petrol you'll use :lol:

McDonalds have a drive-thru. My point was Sunderland is desolate and unappealing. Half the places shut down. The council has ran the place down and dosen't do anything to try and attract people into the city centre.
I live in Washington so half way between Sunderland and Newcastle. Like somebody has previously mentioned Newcastle is a much better night with much better bars and restaurants.
Just fancied a change so went through to Lucianos as I hadnt been there for years, probably wouldnt go back.

Mag

It's a massive pound in the Bridges man forza lad. I mean he could buy an extra 3 quarters of a poppadom at the moti raj with that ffs.

Newcastle. the place where dreams are made of. With beautiful drinks and even beautifuller people.
Thing is its Sunderland council I pay over £2k in council tax to not Newcastle thats why the state of the place upsets me. It is a shithole

Defo. Born in Sunderland, lass born in Sunderland and both my kids born in Sunderland.

Does anyone know what the council makes off of parking? It would be interesting if they made it all free and what impact it might have. Obviously money could be saved on parking officers and if there was a lot more footfall I presume business rates could be put up?

It'll probably work out cheaper paying the couple of pound for parking than the cost of petrol you'll use :lol:

Agree with @ebb, don't do much drinking in either Sunderland or Newcastle but from where I live in Washington its far easier to get to Newcastle. Its about the same distance to both but once I've added on 5-10 minutes for all the traffic signals on the way to Sunderland it also far quicker the other way. Theres also a bus every 10 minutes to the dark side and taxi costs roughly the same. Having said that, as I'm from Sunderland originally I tend to favour there as my mates live there. Just hope the Keel Square Development and having that new college in the city centre can revive it.

Does anyone know what the council makes off of parking? It would be interesting if they made it all free and what impact it might have. Obviously money could be saved on parking officers and if there was a lot more footfall I presume business rates could be put up?

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmselect/cmtran/writev/parking/m04.htm

Section 14

14 The Department for Transport’s statutory guidance states that parking charges should never be designed just to raise revenue or as a local tax. However the Government recognises where the demand for parking is high then the delivery of transport objectives with realistic demand management prices for parking may result in surplus income. In such cases section 55 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 2004 requires that local authorities must ensure that any on-street revenue not used for enforcement is used for legitimate purposes only and that its main use is to improve, by whatever means, transport provision in the area so that road users benefit. This may include investment in public transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back