Alex Hales

I think that Morgan said "It's too early" when asked about Hales' exclusion, that implies that he'd be considered for a recall at some time. The white ball team is now unrecognizable from the team he inherited so he has surely earned the right to make calls on issues in which we,the public, aren't aware of all the facts.
If you're the captain, particularly a successful one, you are bigger than the rest of the team imo.

Wasn't he talking about playing for America or some other associate? Pretty sure he's been told they're moving on to younger players which I think is premature but no surprise he's not in this squad.
Would imagine he has almost relocated to the States by now. Green-carded in through his marriage.
May not see out his lasy year at Surrey? @TheRey ?
Exactly, see#5.
Leading run scorer in recent big bash but unsold in IPL auction. Something about him that we don't know?I
Certainly think there's something about his exclusion from England set up that we don't know.

Enough to turn the franchises away from him which was hard to believe tbh.

Roy not getting a gig- fair enough as there is an element of sicknote there.

Last edited:
Would imagine he has almost relocated to the States by now. Green-carded in through his marriage.
May not see out his lasy year at Surrey? @TheRey ?
I'd hope he'll see it out, but we'll see. He missed most of last season with injury, but did bits when he was actually fit. So god knows what's happening there - but he has reiterated his desire to play for the US

I'd hope he'll see it out, but we'll see. He missed most of last season with injury, but did bits when he was actually fit. So god knows what's happening there - but he has reiterated his desire to play for the US

Yeah, read it somewhere. They have got a ground in Texas that they are going to make their base for games and administration et al.
Think it was a baseball field that a now defunct team used.

Who else is blocked by Hales on Twitter? :lol:

I only pointed out that the same Durham Team who beat them in the county game - would also beat them next week in the T20. They did. He claimed cricketers can't adapt. I disagreed. Blocked ....

Who else is blocked by Hales on Twitter? :lol:

I only pointed out that the same Durham Team who beat them in the county game - would also beat them next week in the T20. They did. He claimed cricketers can't adapt. I disagreed. Blocked ....
He often comes across as an absolute wanker, but he's a freakish talent

He often comes across as an absolute wanker, but he's a freakish talent

Listened to him on Sky this week, and he came across well, sounds like changed his ways

I get the arguments by others that Morgan has earnt the right to make his own calls, but he isnt a dictator, pick your best players. Root and Hales get in my world cup squad without a 2nd thought

I think that Morgan said "It's too early" when asked about Hales' exclusion, that implies that he'd be considered for a recall at some time. The white ball team is now unrecognizable from the team he inherited so he has surely earned the right to make calls on issues in which we,the public, aren't aware of all the facts.
If you're the captain, particularly a successful one, you are bigger than the rest of the team imo.

"Too early".... Its been two years.

He was rehabilitated in the team after Bristol, he was frozen out because he cheated on his lass on tour in the WI and it upset the WAGs.
Listened to him on Sky this week, and he came across well, sounds like changed his ways

I get the arguments by others that Morgan has earnt the right to make his own calls, but he isnt a dictator, pick your best players. Root and Hales get in my world cup squad without a 2nd thought

I don't care how good Morgan has been as a captain, he hasn't earned the right to freeze players out.

Last edited:
"Too early".... Its been two years.

He was rehabilitated in the team after Bristol, he was frozen out because he cheated on his lass on tour in the WI and it upset the WAGs.

I don't care how good Morgan has been as a captain, he hasn't earned the right to freeze players out.

I agree yeah, surprised he has that much power, seems unhealthy to me

Seperate point, but surprised how little say Silverwood has had, both in this issue, and the rotation of the test team.

And Vince. What has Billings done to warrant keep getting picked over these two?

And Vince. What has Billings done to warrant keep getting picked over these two?

Yeah I dont get Billings, the argument they say is he is a middle order player to hit late on that we dont have, cant agree though.

Vince is a much better player than Billings in my view, had a lot of chances, he totally froze durin gthe world cup like

Haven't seen the Sky interview. Just going on what little I've seen of him in the past, his misdemeanours and stuff like that - hopefully he's grown up enough to be trusted.

Morgan needs to put his pettiness aside, he was the same with Malan and we nearly lost out on an awesome cricketer

If Morgan has sole responsibility for selection of white ball squads then he probably has not too much power but I assume that there's a selection committee. Morgan ,as captain,is often the public face when announcements are made, that doesn't mean he's dictating selection.
Atherton,who admitted that he knows Morgan well,was adamant that Morgan wasn't petty, but strong on agreed protocols and ruthless when they weren't adhered to.
Not too sure how lengthy Hales exclusion has been given lockdown and his own injuries.

If Morgan has sole responsibility for selection of white ball squads then he probably has not too much power but I assume that there's a selection committee. Morgan ,as captain,is often the public face when announcements are made, that doesn't mean he's dictating selection.
Atherton,who admitted that he knows Morgan well,was adamant that Morgan wasn't petty, but strong on agreed protocols and ruthless when they weren't adhered to.
Not too sure how lengthy Hales exclusion has been given lockdown and his own injuries.

Taking aside any opinions on whether Hales should be in or out, I honestly think when it comes to a first choice squad, Smith or Silverwood have no say, I am almost certain of that.

Was certainly the case in the world cup, Morgan picked Tom Curran over David Willey (despite the Archer talk), that was his call, not Smith or Bayliss

Morgan's decision not to pick Plunkett again, was his call not Smith.

they are 2 big decision off the top of my head, sure there are more

now when players are rested, which they often are for ODIs, then am sure Smith n co will choose the players to replace them, but when everyone is available, its Morgan who decides

which I don't agree with by the way, pick your best players and then pick the captain from them.

I think there is a fine line for praising Morgan for what he did, but also rembering that he did that because of selection. Look at the XI that played in our first XI under that new era againt NZ, its remarkable, there was no trial an error, the selectors nailed it, Roy, Hales, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Ali, was the batting line up

Morgan is a good captain but picking those players was what led us to what we did, he couldnt have done anything without them, and I think tht gets forgotten.

I am rambling here as I had a few beers, but he is far too powerful for my liking, he isn't some demi god, he is a good captain who got the best out of some amazing players, and backed them to the hilt.

Last edited:
There's a fine line between being very positive and arrogant. Depends on which side of that line you place Morgan.

To me its Morgan's job to provide success for the team he captains and do what is in his control to do that. Whether Hales should or should not be selected is a good point of debate. If he had no other viable options at the top of the order he would probably have maintained a softer stance but he has players in the same ball park that he can choose from and still get the message across that if you let the squad down (on more than one occasion regarding Hales) then you are going to find it hard to get back in. As always results determine everything, if England fall just short and have done so without selecting hales he will be strongly criticised, if we are successful he can argue that the decision not to choose him was the right one.

Back