Alex Hales

TheRey

Winger

Been a lot of talk about him being recalled due to the need for two squads, but Eoin Morgan has come out and absolutely shat all over the idea. Morgs basically saying he/the group still don't trust Hales, with Morgs still fuming that he nearly derailed the WC last year.

What's everyone's thoughts? Should he be welcome back? He's definitely one of the best white ball players on the planet, and with back to back T20 WCs coming up, I'd be trying to get him back in the side personally

There's no doubt Hales is a bit of a c*nt, but he walks into any side in the world IMO

Last edited:

As much as I like and respect Morgan, this is pretty weak captaincy IMO

Also comes across as petty and personal

I have no sympathy for Hales like, but Morgan having power go to his head slightly here

I have no sympathy for Hales like, but Morgan having power go to his head slightly here
I beg to differ.Morgan appears to be speaking on behalf of the group. Their success was built on fantastic belief and team spirit, clearly Hales jeopardized that , as has Malan. Morgan may be ruthless but he's certainly not weak.

I beg to differ.Morgan appears to be speaking on behalf of the group. Their success was built on fantastic belief and team spirit, clearly Hales jeopardized that , as has Malan. Morgan may be ruthless but he's certainly not weak.

how has Malan?

morgan not liking someone isn’t out to do with team spirit

Quite like Hales myself but not entirely sure where he fits in at the moment tbh, with Roy, Bairstow, Bantom and Malan - although Morgan is being petty with the latter.

how has Malan?

morgan not liking someone isn’t out to do with team spirit
I can't believe Morgan is saying this without the backing of the coaching staff too (and probably senior players), he's just the public face of the leadership team. We know for a fact Hales failed a couple of drugs tests, we don't know if there was anything else going on (for certain, I know there were stories about his behaviour in the Caribbean), what he said to the players about either failure, the contrition he did or didn't show or whether there was anything else happening we aren't aware of. I think the way the one day has been lead over the last few years has been exceptional, you can't make exceptions to your expectations whoever the player is and the team doing that need to be trusted that they are making the right call on this on a professional level and not letting a personal dislike cloud anyone's judgement. Morgan hasn't said he won't play for England again, he's just made it sound unlikely that there's a call up on the cards in the next few months.
Quite like Hales myself but not entirely sure where he fits in at the moment tbh, with Roy, Bairstow, Bantom and Malan - although Morgan is being petty with the latter.
The issue is the suggestion of with having to run a separate test and ODI team so presumably the ODI team would be missing Stokes, Buttler, Root and maybe Bairstow, depending on how they prioritise things.

Last edited:
If they're going split squads, Hales would get in - for some bizarre reason they're desperate to force Bairstow into the Test despite him not being anywhere near worth a place.

So Banton middle order, JRoy and Hales opening.

I can't believe Morgan is saying this without the backing of the coaching staff too (and probably senior players), he's just the public face of the leadership team. We know for a fact Hales failed a couple of drugs tests, we don't know if there was anything else going on (for certain, I know there were stories about his behaviour in the Caribbean), what he said to the players about either failure, the contrition he did or didn't show or whether there was anything else happening we aren't aware of. I think the way the one day has been lead over the last few years has been exceptional, you can't make exceptions to your expectations whoever the player is and the team doing that need to be trusted that they are making the right call on this on a professional level and not letting a personal dislike cloud anyone's judgement. Morgan hasn't said he won't play for England again, he's just made it sound unlikely that there's a call up on the cards in the next few months.

The issue is the suggestion of with having to run a separate test and ODI team so presumably the ODI team would be missing Stokes, Buttler, Root and maybe Bairstow, depending on how they prioritise things.
As far as the one set up goes I reckon Morgan runs the show. He is clearly a more authorative leader than what Root is in the test set up.

If they're going split squads, Hales would get in - for some bizarre reason they're desperate to force Bairstow into the Test despite him not being anywhere near worth a place.

If that's the case then I'd have no issue with a Hales return to the white ball side, in an even world though I'd have him as 5th choice at the moment behind the 4 I mentioned.
As far as the one set up goes I reckon Morgan runs the show. He is clearly a more authorative leader than what Root is in the test set up.

Which isn't a problem, but what I do find concerning is that I can't see him being around for the next 50 over World Cup so his influence should really be starting to wane now, and his stance on both Hales and Malan seem to present the opposite.

Last edited:

On the contrary I think it's exceptionally strong captaincy. There is no doubt that having Alex Hales in the squad makes us stronger, but by keeping him out it's a strong warning to the rest of the squad (and others hoping to get in it) that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated
To be fair he is in (and deserves to be) an incredibly strong position. Handed the poisoned chalice of white-ball captaincy, he took us from our lowest ebb in 2015 to the unbelievable heights of last summer. He is as close to untouchable as a captain gets

Last edited:

I think it proves quite the opposite.

Morgan kow-towing to press clamour for Hales' recall would be an example of weak captaincy. At the end of the day Morgan knows Hales well, his personality and his personal flaws and feels it would be detrimental to the group to bring him back in so has stated he won't be coming back in to the fold.

No doubt he has a massive influence but I still think he'll be listening to the other players and talking to the selectors, I don't see it being a dictatorship.
Without doubt but I just get the feeling he makes the final decision. A bit like Colly during his time at Durham as Captain. I suppose an old fashioned cricket captain really before the days of coaches and as many backroom staff as players in the dressing room.

I think it proves quite the opposite.

Morgan kow-towing to press clamour for Hales' recall would be an example of weak captaincy. At the end of the day Morgan knows Hales well, his personality and his personal flaws and feels it would be detrimental to the group to bring him back in so has stated he won't be coming back in to the fold.

totally disagree

it comes across as petty and personal

and I suspect it stokes had fucked up again he’d be back in

as nasser pointed out on the cricket show today

you do t split bairstow and Roy up like

they’re special together, best we have ever had
Malan blocked the last ball of an innings to ensure a not out to protect his average. Not in the team interest according to Morgan and he said so publicly.

Yeah thats absolute shite mind, not your post, but Morgan clearly just doesn't like him for whatever reason

Its nit picking, but hope not letting power go to his head. I thought that was our of order the comments on Malan personally.
No doubt he has a massive influence but I still think he'll be listening to the other players and talking to the selectors, I don't see it being a dictatorship.

Hope so, that was my fear

you are probably right like, senior players more thn likely involved

if you listen or watch the sky sports cricket show, Nasser and Athers pretty much summed up my feelings on it.
nothing I will lose sleep over or be too critical about, just think Morgan is being a bit of a tit here like, if you dont like him and dont want to pick him, just say that. these comments that he has to "rebuild trust" etc, been out of the side over a year like, what else is he meant to do?

Last edited:
totally disagree

it comes across as petty and personal

and I suspect it stokes had fucked up again he’d be back in

as nasser pointed out on the cricket show today

you do t split bairstow and Roy up like

they’re special together, best we have ever had

Yeah thats absolute shite mind, not your post, but Morgan clearly just doesn't like him for whatever reason

Its nit picking, but hope not letting power go to his head. I thought that was our of order the comments on Malan personally.

Hope so, that was my fear

you are probably right like, senior players more thn likely involved

if you listen or watch the sky sports cricket show, Nasser and Athers pretty much summed up my feelings on it.
nothing I will lose sleep over or be too critical about, just think Morgan is being a bit of a tit here like, if you dont like him and dont want to pick him, just say that. these comments that he has to "rebuild trust" etc, been out of the side over a year like, what else is he meant to do?
I guess it takes time to prove that Hales has genuinely changed his approach to life and he's not just giving it lip service.

Nasser's comments seemed to be around there being one rule for one player and one rule for another which I totally agree can't be the case. But I don't know who or what he's referring to. If it's about Stokes it's nonsense because they both got punished for the night club incident since when Stokes has done nothing wrong but Hales has failed two drugs tests and is rumoured to have badly disrupted a touring party. And that's just what we think we know about. I agree with Atherton when he said it's maybe not the approach he'd have taken but it isn't his squad and they've got the credit in the bank to run with what they feel is the right way. I think we have to trust that it is due to his impact on the squad rather than a personal dislike.

Morgan in particular has been very single minded in making sure things are done the right way and hasn't been scared to make the big calls eg leaving Willey out of the WC squad. I don't see him being the kind of guy who puts a personal dislike ahead of what's best for the team.

Incredible isn't it. Captain leaves player out for a serious breach of discipline and trust issues. Wins the world cup for the first time in our history and captain still doesn't trust player enough to have him back in the team.

And he is getting accused of being weak and petty because of it :lol:

It would seem to me that hales is a cock, not popular and has made really serious errors of judgement. If Morgan says that he doesn't trust him in the group thats good enough for me.

It’s almost like it’s a team game

Sunderland supporters more than anyone know what a “rotten core” can result in

Also I don't go along with this 'one rule for one' patter referring i assume to Stokes. Hales not being selected isn't about punishment now, its about trust, being a bad influence and his impact on others. The reason Stokes is in is because he is trusted, he is the ultimate team player and great for team spirit as well as being a fantastic player.

Back