Adams Ferdinand Terry

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodgate had the potential to be better than all of them put together if he hadn't of been so injury prone.
Him and Hargreaves could have been world class for us, but both crocked about the same time.

I think the same as an earlier poster, Adams and Rio for me too. Good combination too, as both did different things.

The BBC ran a poll to find England's best ever centre halves...bobby Moore was centre half alongside Rio Ferdinand.

Bollocks in my opinion Bobby Moore fair enough...but I would put Tony Adams , then John Terry then a fair bit 3rd Rio

Rio was probably the best passer but the main qualities you need as a centre half brilliant tackling a fair bit strength and a never say die attitude

Terry doesn't get the credit he deserves because he was a dirtbag in his private life.

Where would you put Adams Ferdinand and Terry in order
:lol: Rio was miles the better centre half than Terry man ya git weapon.

Rio & Campbell = best English centre half pairing of the past 30 years.

Last edited:
This place seems to completely underrate Rio Ferdinand. In the summer someone reckoned Maguire is better!

He broke the transfer record for a defender twice by the age of 24 FFS. He was top class.

This.

He's the only one from those identified that was widely recognised as being in the conversation for best in the world. He was exceptional (albeit had lapses in concentration).

EDIT: I also rated Sol very highly as much of a prick as he is, and Ledley King was very good and would've been in that conversation had it not been for injuries.

Him and Hargreaves could have been world class for us, but both crocked about the same time.

I think the same as an earlier poster, Adams and Rio for me too. Good combination too, as both did different things.
it got lost in the controversy and disappointment, but Hargreaves' performance against Portgual in the 2006 WC quarter-final was phenomenal. One of the greatest I've ever seen by an England player. And like many I'd never thought too much of him as a player prior to that. Sadly I think that might have been one of his last games for England, injury finished him.

Reactions: PTR
The BBC ran a poll to find England's best ever centre halves...bobby Moore was centre half alongside Rio Ferdinand.

Bollocks in my opinion Bobby Moore fair enough...but I would put Tony Adams , then John Terry then a fair bit 3rd Rio

Rio was probably the best passer but the main qualities you need as a centre half brilliant tackling a fair bit strength and a never say die attitude

Terry doesn't get the credit he deserves because he was a dirtbag in his private life.

Sol Campbell just as good as Adams

Duncan Edwards, Billy Wright, Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter, Colin Todd, Brian Labone, Emlyn Hughes, Roy MacFarland, the BBC showing premier league bias again

At least two of them (Charlton and Wright) were amongst the 6 or 7 central defensive options in the poll. Also, worth remembering that McFarland and Todd didn't feature in any major championship squads for England, Hughes was only ever an unused squad member in 1980 and Hunter's only world cup finals appearance was as a sub.

Apart from That Sunday at the SoL. Never seen a top defender so destroyed by an attacker the way Quinn did to him that afternoon.
Bobby Zamora made him leave Highbury in a taxi at half time after subbing himself

I think he struggled with big strikers, Hartson used to murder him when he was with us and Campbell at Spurs

Ferdinand was on another level to Terry and Adams. Terry for me although a very good CB benefited from playing behind some of the very best DM in the world at Chelsea. Remember one game at home when we went 1 up but got beat 3-1 Micheal Essien sat just in front of the back 4. Terry didn’t have to win a header all game.
it got lost in the controversy and disappointment, but Hargreaves' performance against Portgual in the 2006 WC quarter-final was phenomenal. One of the greatest I've ever seen by an England player. And like many I'd never thought too much of him as a player prior to that. Sadly I think that might have been one of his last games for England, injury finished him.
The lad initially got boat loads of stick if memory serves me correctly. Finished the tournament as England’s best player.

Last edited:
The options available were very limited. Watson was a much better centre half than Butcher and Terry for starters. I never rated Ferdinand whatever his inflated status is in this thread - switched off a lot and looked exposed internationally when it mattered.

Dave Watson alongside Moore for me.

Aye, I was kind of playing on & mocking the chant “you’ll never beat Des Walker”

Err, apart from when Marc Overmars tore him a new one.

He was majestic at times.

Shame his memory was shot to peaces when it came to remembering drug tests.

Aye, even 30 years on his arse with still resemble the Japanese flag after that battering.
Over mars was a winger. I’m on about forwards.

Ferdinand was over-rated imo. Good footballing centre half but wasn't courageous enough and had lapses in concentration. Adams was a donkey but was as gritty as they come. Terry was brave, aggressive and mobile (for a centre half). Des Walker was one of the best centre halves in the world for a short spell around 1990.

Having typed my thoughts I still can't decide who to put next to Moore. (It's not Ferdinand though).

Ferdinand was over-rated imo. Good footballing centre half but wasn't courageous enough and had lapses in concentration. Adams was a donkey but was as gritty as they come. Terry was brave, aggressive and mobile (for a centre half). Des Walker was one of the best centre halves in the world for a short spell around 1990.

Having typed my thoughts I still can't decide who to put next to Moore. (It's not Ferdinand though).

What so you mean by 'lapses of concentration'? Its always come across to me as a easy to you cliche without actually meaning much. There hasn't been a defender who has played the game where you could point the finger and say he was at fault for a number of goals. So in reality every defender in the world could be accused of have having concentration lapses

Reactions: Red
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back