Adams Ferdinand Terry

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
John Terry got turned far too easily to be the best ever. He was phenomena in the air and fantastic at defending his box but players could roll behind him and did consistently. That is why I think Rio is better.

No idea about Moore as I never saw him and only have 66 and stories to go off.

Adam's and Terry were good english style centre halves, but Rio was better and Rio for a small window was world class, possibly the best centre half in Europe for a couple of years, maybe.

I'd put Terry Butcher up with Adam's and ahead of Terry. I was never convinced Terry was international class, for all his dodgy knees and the fact early on he played in defensive midfield for England I thought Ledley King was better and more suited at international level.

Agree with your points on Terry. I felt he was an old fashioned English style defender but at the top level he lacked pace and top forwards could turn him quite easily. He was probably eye catching due to his last ditch interceptions and putting his body on the line, but that usually is down to being outpaced or out of position. I was a big fan of Adams and would always have him ahead of Terry as I felt he could carry the ball better and was positionally stronger.

King was a class act and for me should have been first choice had it not been for his injuries.

The BBC ran a poll to find England's best ever centre halves...bobby Moore was centre half alongside Rio Ferdinand.

Bollocks in my opinion Bobby Moore fair enough...but I would put Tony Adams , then John Terry then a fair bit 3rd Rio

Rio was probably the best passer but the main qualities you need as a centre half brilliant tackling a fair bit strength and a never say die attitude

Terry doesn't get the credit he deserves because he was a dirtbag in his private life.

Where would you put Adams Ferdinand and Terry in order
I know Rio was held in high regard but I really think he was underrated. He looked so calm at all times and held his own against the best in the world
He’s England’s best ever CB imho like

Agree with your points on Terry. I felt he was an old fashioned English style defender but at the top level he lacked pace and top forwards could turn him quite easily. He was probably eye catching due to his last ditch interceptions and putting his body on the line, but that usually is down to being outpaced or out of position. I was a big fan of Adams and would always have him ahead of Terry as I felt he could carry the ball better and was positionally stronger.

King was a class act and for me should have been first choice had it not been for his injuries.

Agree on all counts. There's people mentioning Adams getting torn a new one in 88 when we were a shambles, but also Terry was exposed massively in 2010 against the Germans when we were a shambles too. Terry was a fantastic club centre half, committed and 100% but I don't really think he made the step up that well.

I don’t know if there’s another thread about this poll but I was shocked to see how low some of the % per teams were.

First 11:

Gordon Banks 61%
G Neville 42%
Rio 41%
Bobby Moore 78%
Ashley Cole 58%
Beckham 50%
Bobby Charlton 61%
Gazza 50%
Greaves 40%
Lineker 58%
Shearer 47%

Others:
Gerrard 39%
Rooney 35%
Pearce 28%
Shilton 27%
Scholes 27%
Terry 24%
Adams 24%
Stanley Matthews 20%
If it wasn't for injury, I honestly believe that Ledley King would have been in the top 5.
I’ve read a few autobiographies and everybody talks about how he should have been a world class player.
if only eh!!!

Last edited:

Agree with all that. People are mentioning 88 when we were a shambles and how Adams was exposed, but similarly Terry was torn apart in 2010 against the Germans when we were a shambles.

I did that quiz and put Moore and Adams. It was more difficult than I'd expected.
I mentioned it to my Dad and he said he'd seen it but when Duncan Edwards wasn't an option he didn't think it was worth doing.
Moore and Adams is the right answer.

I also thought Edwards was a surprise omission. Went for Lineker and Bloomer.

Duncan Edwards, Billy Wright, Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter, Colin Todd, Brian Labone, Emlyn Hughes, Roy MacFarland, the BBC showing premier league bias again
Put most of those against current PL forwards and they couldn't cope, especially when you are no longer allowed to boot someone 4 foot into the air.

Put most of those against current PL forwards and they couldn't cope, especially when you are no longer allowed to boot someone 4 foot into the air.
If you lifted them from then to now yes however if they'd all have been brought through now and have the extra pace fitness etc it's another story

by the same token the lieks of Best would have an absolute filed day against the centre halves now who can't kick him or touch him in the box while playing on carpets

I know Rio was held in high regard but I really think he was underrated. He looked so calm at all times and held his own against the best in the world
He’s England’s best ever CB imho like
had a tendency to forget he was actually playing a football match, for that reason I'm out.

Moore and Adams is the right answer.

I also thought Edwards was a surprise omission. Went for Lineker and Bloomer.
Edwards played as an attacking wing half a lot, but there again apparently he was top class wherever he played.
Bobby Charlton said he was the only player who made him feel inferior.

The BBC ran a poll to find England's best ever centre halves...bobby Moore was centre half alongside Rio Ferdinand.

Bollocks in my opinion Bobby Moore fair enough...but I would put Tony Adams , then John Terry then a fair bit 3rd Rio

Rio was probably the best passer but the main qualities you need as a centre half brilliant tackling a fair bit strength and a never say die attitude

Terry doesn't get the credit he deserves because he was a dirtbag in his private life.

Where would you put Adams Ferdinand and Terry in order
Rio didn’t need to tackle as he read the game so well and was that quick

Back