Adams Ferdinand Terry

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry shouldn’t even be talked about. He was quite an average player.
He was a fantastic leader, but in terms of player he was nowhere near as good as the others mentioned. Sol Campbell is up there with the others IMO

Average is a bit harsh though, he was still a very good International level defender.

That's a bit harsh mate. Adams was a gat England captain and a top performer at club level. In 88 he was only 20 and Van Basten was arguably the best striker in the world at the time.

Well yeah fair enough Van Basten was on fire at the time and probably would have roasted most defenders.

Think Rio was better mind

This place seems to completely underrate Rio Ferdinand. In the summer someone reckoned Maguire is better!

He broke the transfer record for a defender twice by the age of 24 FFS. He was top class.
McGuire is canny like. Rio was very good, but never won anything with England. Same for Adam's, Terry and anyone else bar Moore and Jack Charlton.
Terry shouldn’t even be talked about. He was quite an average player.
Haddaway.

McGuire is canny like. Rio was very good, but never won anything with England. Same for Adam's, Terry and anyone else bar Moore and Jack Charlton.
Nothing against Maguire, I like him, but Ferdinand was in a different league completely. In 15 years time there’s no way Maguire will be listed as one of the PLs greatest English defenders. Ferdinand, Adams, Terry and Campbell will probably be 4 of the top 5.

All 3 were very good.
If we talk about tackling ,Bobby Moore very rarely tackled, I certainly don't want to see my centre half spending half of his time on his arse.
I think of the 3 I'd go with Tony Adams.
After looking a bit raw early on in his England career he developed into a top class centre half, and a great leader under Wenger.

The old debate again about whether 1960s players would have survived the modern game. Moore was 5'10 and relatively slow over decent distance. The argument goes he would be quicker with modern sports science but would his body have stood it and he would have had to be class and lightening at 5'10 to make CB .
Would have probably been a defensive mid these days and probably a better one than he was a CB . :cool:

Last edited:
He was a fantastic leader, but in terms of player he was nowhere near as good as the others mentioned. Sol Campbell is up there with the others IMO

Average is a bit harsh though, he was still a very good International level defender.

Actually forgot about Sol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back