Adams Ferdinand Terry

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The BBC ran a poll to find England's best ever centre halves...bobby Moore was centre half alongside Rio Ferdinand.

Bollocks in my opinion Bobby Moore fair enough...but I would put Tony Adams , then John Terry then a fair bit 3rd Rio

Rio was probably the best passer but the main qualities you need as a centre half brilliant tackling a fair bit strength and a never say die attitude

Terry doesn't get the credit he deserves because he was a dirtbag in his private life.

Where would you put Adams Ferdinand and Terry in order

Terry was awfully overrated imo. He was good in the same way O’Shea looked good when O’Neil had us all dropping back into the box. He was too regularly out of position when his side pushed forward and was very lucky to have Cech, Carvalho and Cole all directly next to him. When he played for England that showed, he was all over the place in big games. He certainly made a career way above the limitations of his talent.

Ferdinand was very good, I don’t really have much to criticise him for, he was close to world class for a short period.

Adams was the best defender of the 3 though, Ferdinand a better footballer but I would take Adams.

I think a lot comes down to what you value in a defender. I personally think that positioning, composure, anticipation and tackling are the key skills a CB must have. ‘a good defender should never have to make a tackle’ or something along those lines’.

England have really lagged behind most other top footballing nations in CB’s though, the quality is way below what we have seen for the likes of France, Argentina, Germany, Italy etc.

Last edited:

Terry was awfully overrated imo. He was good in the same way O’Shea looked good when O’Neil had us all dropping back into the box. He was too regularly out of position when his side pushed forward and was very lucky to have Cech, Carvalho and Cole all directly next to him. When he played for England that showed, he was all over the place in big games. He certainly made a career way above the limitations of his talent.

Ferdinand was very good, I don’t really have much to criticise him for, he was close to world class for a short period.

Adams was the best defender of the 3 though, Ferdinand a better footballer but I would take Adams.

I think a lot comes down to what you value in a defender. I personally think that positioning, composure, anticipation and tackling are the key skills a CB must have. ‘a good defender should never have to make a tackle’ or something along those lines’.

England have really lagged behind most other top footballing nations in CB’s though, the quality is way below what we have seen for the likes of France, Argentina, Germany, Italy etc.

What would Ferdinand have to do to be deemed as world class? I think he was at that level, particularly when starting and winning titles with Man United.

I think Adams and Ferdinand, though I think Adams got far better as he matured and under Wenger’s influence. Got a bit extra class imo. Terry was incredible in the air and a good leader but a bit once paced for my liking.

I was going to mention that. Also, wasn't he alongside Des Walker when we failed in the '92 Euros and to qualify for the World Cup under Taylor?

Think he was mostly, but didn't we play a 3 or a 5 against Norway as well, was absolutely all over the place. Tbh Walker went on to play really well for Sheff Wed later on but at that time he was woefully out of form and short of confidence.

From memory Adam's came onto the scene around 88ish when Butcher had a broken leg when Walker was the stand out candidate. Although Adam's was doing well for Arsenal I think it was in his later years he became more valuable to England.

Think he was mostly, but didn't we play a 3 or a 5 against Norway as well, was absolutely all over the place. Tbh Walker went on to play really well for Sheff Wed later on but at that time he was woefully out of form and short of confidence.

From memory Adam's came onto the scene around 88ish when Butcher had a broken leg when Walker was the stand out candidate. Although Adam's was doing well for Arsenal I think it was in his later years he became more valuable to England.

Agreed. He was excellent 95-98

Woodgate had the potential to be better than all of them put together if he hadn't of been so injury prone.
no he didn't, at his best I can't think of one thing he was better than Ferdinand at

not one

Last edited:
Walker was finished once the backpass was abolished. His pace was too much for any forward and all he used to do was pass it back to keeper. Once summit extra was reqd he was found wanting. In Italy they couldn’t believe how unskilled he was.

Aye, I was kind of playing on & mocking the chant “you’ll never beat Des Walker”

Err, apart from when Marc Overmars tore him a new one.
Rio went 28 matches without committing a foul. Unbelievable..

He was majestic at times.

Shame his memory was shot to peaces when it came to remembering drug tests.
Adams was absolutely destroyed by Van Basten at Euro 88 I think it was, and was not in the same classs as Rio.

Aye, even 30 years on his arse with still resemble the Japanese flag after that battering.

Last edited:
Aye. Woodgate and King were miles better than Terry. Careers wrecked by injuries.

Walker was finished once the backpass was abolished. His pace was too much for any forward and all he used to do was pass it back to keeper. Once summit extra was reqd he was found wanting. In Italy they couldn’t believe how unskilled he was.

Moore and Beattie for me.
one of my fondest memories is Frank McAvennies last game for us. we were already relegated he was sub, we were playing Forest, fans chanting his name all first half, Mitchell Thomas pretended to be injured so he could get on at half time

hattrick, absolutely destroyed Walker

Moore and Adam's for me. I think they would complement each other well.
For those who never saw Moore play I can't tell you just how good he was. Fantastic passer of the ball ,great timing with his tackling and could read what was happening so well . Saw him play many times and he impressed me every time.

Watched him for a year when I worked the Newcastle games. He was outstanding and made Bramble alongside him , look good.

Best center half I've seen play for Newcastle, as you said, he controlled and managed Bramble which made Bramble look great when alongside Woodgate....

If he'd stayed fit he would have been one of the best England have had....

Moore and Adam's for me. I think they would complement each other well.
For those who never saw Moore play I can't tell you just how good he was. Fantastic passer of the ball ,great timing with his tackling and could read what was happening so well . Saw him play many times and he impressed me every time.
sadly never saw him live, when enough people like these say the same thing though it speaks volumes

Sir Alf Ramsey: 'If people say England would not have won the World Cup without me as manager, I can say it would have been impossible without Bobby Moore as captain. He was the heartbeat of the team in 1966. He was my right-hand man, my lieutenant on the field, a cool calculated footballer I could trust with my life.'

Brian Clough: 'He did our game proud. He brought it grace and elegance. I wish I could have worked with him.'

Denis Law: 'He was an immaculate defender who did not need to foul to win the ball. I don't think he kicked a player intentionally in his life. He was a good tackler but rarely needed to because he picked up the ball before you could get to it.'

Sir Alex Ferguson: ‘Moore was the finest defender I have ever seen’

George Best: ‘I remember I once scored a hattrick against West Ham and I half sold him a dummy, that was the only time I ever got anything out of him in 20 years, I should have hated him instead of loving him’

Franz Beckenbauer: ‘Bobby Moore was the greatest defender in the history of the game, Bobby was my football idol. I looked up to him. I was so proud to have played against him.'’

Pele: ‘Bobby Moore — he defended like a lord. Let me tell you about this man. When I played, I would face up to a defender, I would beat him with my eyes, send him the wrong way; I would look one way and then go the other. Defenders would just kick me in frustration. They would foul me because they couldn't stop me, or because I would confuse them with my movement. I would move my eyes, my legs or my body, but not always the ball. They would follow my move, but not Bobby, not ever. He would watch the ball, he would ignore my eyes and my movement and then, when he was ready and his balance was right, he would take the ball, always hard, always fair. He was a gentleman and an incredible footballer.

Jock Stein: ‘There should be a law against him, he knows what’s going to happen 5 minutes before anyone else on the pitch.’

Sir Bobby Charlton: ‘Bobby Moore is England's icon, and rightly so, He could both read what was going to happen before it actually did.

'It was beautiful to look at him when he played. Nobody tackled him. He just oozed class. 'He was just a brilliant defender, probably cultured is the right word. If he had to speed up a little bit he could easily do it.

If you were lucky enough to play with him, or against him, he was a fantastic player.

Inscription on his statue at Wembley Stadium ‘Immaculate footballer. Imperial defender. Immortal hero of 1966. First Englishman to raise the World Cup aloft. Favourite son of London's East End. Finest legend of West Ham United. National Treasure. Master of Wembley. Lord of the game. Captain extraordinary. Gentleman of all time’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back