Academy Players Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why do you keep talking about me like I’m not here?
I’m on because I’m a Sunderland fan, the club & academy still interest me. And occasionally grown men discuss my child & family & talk utter shite. So occasionally I like to comment.
Any reason I shouldn’t be on here?!
When your son left, was it an easy decision? Did he want to go to Liverpool? Or the fact that Sunderland gave permission did that Force his hand? Did we attempt to retain him?

When your son left, was it an easy decision? Did he want to go to Liverpool? Or the fact that Sunderland gave permission did that Force his hand? Did we attempt to retain him?
No it certainly wasn’t an easy decision for many reasons.
We got a phone call from a secretary, then nothing till 9days later when academy manager called.
So yes that did ring alarm bells.

I’ll delay my disappointment until I see how they develop.

Quite a lot were gutted when Ryan Noble was being frozen out. He’s not done much to show he’s anything better than shite.

He had 2 back fractures that could of possibly ruined him. He also should of been given more senior exposure when he was in form to build on his confidence.

No it certainly wasn’t an easy decision for many reasons.
We got a phone call from a secretary, then nothing till 9days later when academy manager called.
So yes that did ring alarm bells.
Did we try and sell our vision to yous about staying?

Good luck to your Son, I wish him well. From a selfish point of view I'm very disappointed in the club for cashing is and allowing a free for all on our Academy. Lads like your son are the future for us and it is very short sighted.

I just really hope these new owners take a totally different stance and see the Academy as paramount to the future for us, sell a vision to our very best talent.
He had 2 back fractures that could of possibly ruined him. He also should of been given more senior exposure when he was in form to build on his confidence.
Noble certainly was a talent. It wasnt the like of ability why he didn't make it, the lad could score goals for fun

Last edited:
Did we try and sell our vision to yous about staying?

Good luck to your Son, I wish him well. From a selfish point of view I'm very disappointed in the club for cashing is and allowing a free for all on our Academy. Lads like your son are the future for us and it is very short sighted.

I just really hope these new owners take a totally different stance and see the Academy as paramount to the future for us, sell a vision to our very best talent.

I never even met the man from the day he was appointed to the day my son left.

I never even met the man from the day he was appointed to the day my son left.
He hasn't impressed me and the set up seems no where near to how it was under McNamee. It's a real disappointment how it has been treated in the last few years.

Serious overall is needed

He hasn't impressed me and the set up seems no where near to how it was under McNamee. It's a real disappointment how it has been treated in the last few years.

Serious overall is needed
I don’t know if we can blame him or he’s just doing as instructed. But the dealings I had, or didn’t as the case maybe, made my mind up. And the fact he got my sons name wrong throughout his podcast didn’t help! Spoke volumes to me 😉

I don’t know if we can blame him or he’s just doing as instructed. But the dealings I had, or didn’t as the case maybe, made my mind up. And the fact he got my sons name wrong throughout his podcast didn’t help! Spoke volumes to me 😉

Are you talking about Donald or the bloke who runs the academy, who you never met?

Maybe they didnt go all out to keep your son and that is pathetic as we should be keeping our young talent but I also find it hard to believe that your lad and family weren't all but convinced of the move when one of the biggest teams in the world came calling.

I'd like to know where people are hearing clubs are being encouraged to look at our younguns, does this come from other clubs to parents when they go over?

Reality is us not involved have no
idea what is going on but I'm sure we would all like to keep the younguns and see as many as possible make it big with us.

Are you talking about Donald or the bloke who runs the academy, who you never met?

Maybe they didnt go all out to keep your son and that is pathetic as we should be keeping our young talent but I also find it hard to believe that your lad and family weren't all but convinced of the move when one of the biggest teams in the world came calling.

I'd like to know where people are hearing clubs are being encouraged to look at our younguns, does this come from other clubs to parents when they go over?

idea what is going on but I'm sure we would all like to keep the younguns and see as many as possible make it big with us.
I believe, based on info I've heard, the club has saw the Academy as a short term financial fix and we have cashed in on it. That's to the detriment of the long term success on the club. I dont know much about Luca Stephenson or the other 2 lads who went to Liverpool however I saw Sam Greenwood play for our u18s whilst still a school boy and he was very good. I'd dare say if he were still here he would be around the 1st team.

I just hope we dont allow this free for all to continue and dont miss this opportunity to build the club from within.

Its amazing that we were in the Premier League for a decade and didn’t have any need for a fire sale of our best talent.

Incredible to think that Man U, Arsenal and the like mustn’t have existed just a couple of years ago and now they’re in the top 6.

Its amazing that we were in the Premier League for a decade and didn’t have any need for a fire sale of our best talent.

Incredible to think that Man U, Arsenal and the like mustn’t have existed just a couple of years ago and now they’re in the top 6.
And Ellis Short was accused of assets stripping. It seems the assest stripping started when Donald became involved

And Ellis Short was accused of assets stripping. It seems the assest stripping started when Donald became involved

Is it not more of a case of cutting our cloth accordingly? Sadly, whilst we are in this shitty league, big clubs are going to take advantage if they know we need money.

Although real progress has been, and it’s probably one of the reasons why the new owners have bought us, we still need to tighten our belts until we get promoted

Methven’s excuse is that the big clubs can come in and take our young players and there’s nothing we can do - yet it never happened when we were in the PL or championship.

Is it not more of a case of cutting our cloth accordingly? Sadly, whilst we are in this shitty league, big clubs are going to take advantage if they know we need money.

Although real progress has been, and it’s probably one of the reasons why the new owners have bought us, we still need to tighten our belts until we get promoted
The future of the club should always be protected, the academy is the future.

Just because we are in league 1 doesn't mean we have to behave like a league 1 club.
Methven’s excuse is that the big clubs can come in and take our young players and there’s nothing we can do - yet it never happened when we were in the PL or championship.
Quite simply cashed it.

I was talking about the academy manager. I didn’t expect a call from Donald ☺️
It’s not that straight forward to make a decision when your letting your 14yo son move away from home.
Of course it was appealing from the offset, doesn’t mean it wasn’t a hard decision.
For a start he’s SAFC daft..
I’ve no idea where it’s coming from, the idea Safc are encouraging clubs to come looking, i personally doubt that’s true at all.
I think it’s more just that they’re letting them be spoken to when in times gone by that never happened..

You can stop them.
And it’s nothing to do with dreaming.
They’re still dreaming if they stay then!
So let’s all give in now?!
Don’t get your point...
Surely even by the mechanism you’ve described you can only delay them? If the club denies permission do they not just create a pissed off young lad denied the opportunity to play at an elite club who’ll be free to go where he wants at season end? I don’t believe that there’s nothing that the club could do. We’ve had decades of a first team squad bloated with poor players blocking opportunities for younger lads, for instance. However the power dynamic is certainly against them.
Agreed. He was also a proper helmet but that could be a chicken and egg thing I guess.

Last edited:
It’s f***ing mental that we have the parent of a player who left literally telling us what the club is doing and there are still people arguing with them on the basis of a podcast Donald did.

Surely even by the mechanism you’ve described you can only delay them? If the club denies permission do they not just create a pissed off young lad denied the opportunity to play at an elite club who’ll be free to go where he wants at season end? I don’t believe that there’s nothing that the club could do. We’ve had decades of a first team squad bloated with poor players blocking opportunities for younger lads, for instance. However the power dynamic is certainly against them.

I didn’t say denying them the choice was the right thing to do..
I’m just pointing out that everyone is convinced there’s nothing they can do, when we’ve managed it well enough before this new regime came in!
I know for a fact clubs were just denied contact previously. And that was the end.
They wouldn’t be free to leave at the end of season either, if holding club wants to retain its the same issue.. they can’t just leave.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back