Academy Players Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply. Wasn’t trying to put words in your mouth - just interested in your perspective. I’m very surprised that clubs can retain multi year control over minors though. What would happen if the family needed to move areas due to parental jobs?

Methven’s excuse is that the big clubs can come in and take our young players and there’s nothing we can do - yet it never happened when we were in the PL or championship.

I don't for one second know what's happened, but then neither do you. But if you've typed that without an realisation of where the club is now and how clubs know they can take advantage of it and how it young players would look at a big PL club coming in for them whilst they're at League One Sunderland and that there's more chance of holding onto players as a PL club then you haven't done it with any balance whatsoever.

Reactions: bat
Thanks for the reply. Wasn’t trying to put words in your mouth - just interested in your perspective. I’m very surprised that clubs can retain multi year control over minors though. What would happen if the family needed to move areas due to parental jobs?

No I know... 👍🏻
There are situations obv but it’s not easy, has to go via the PL etc, through hearings & approvals. You couldn't just say oh we’re moving or he doesn’t like anymore it we’re off..

It’s f***ing mental that we have the parent of a player who left literally telling us what the club is doing and there are still people arguing with them on the basis of a podcast Donald did.

The parent has also told us that he/she doubts that SAFC have encouraged clubs to come looking, but you're ignoring that....

The parent has also told us that he/she doubts that SAFC have encouraged clubs to come looking, but you're ignoring that....

I never said they did. However she did confirm that the club can stop any other club from talking to a player and there’s nothing the other club can do.

But you’re ignoring that...

Exactly ,they cant unless im wrong and slavery hasnt been abolished.I am pretty sure the exits will stop with new owners.

I never said they did. However she did confirm that the club can stop any other club from talking to a player and there’s nothing the other club can do.

But you’re ignoring that...

Well she said that, but then she's also said there are routes and ways of the club getting said player too, if they're wanting to go. It can only be delayed for so long.

You're also ignoring that.

Well she said that, but then she's also said there are routes and ways of the club getting said player too, if they're wanting to go. It can only be delayed for so long.

And like I said, it’s amazing that these clubs didn’t exist just two years ago, and that nobody was interested in any of our academy players until the new owners rocked up.

No I know... 👍🏻
There are situations obv but it’s not easy, has to go via the PL etc, through hearings & approvals. You couldn't just say oh we’re moving or he doesn’t like anymore it we’re off..
Thanks for the info. The new owners will provide a litmus test then. It would likely shut down the granting of permission. I’d certainly expect that after promotion. The fact of the matter is though that six figure fees for 14 year olds will always make sense when Safc are at this level. There are no guarantees at youth level and the money can be utilised elsewhere. So I don’t really understand the kink that some fans get into over this. That being said, hopefully Luca smashes it on his holiday on Merseyside and comes back home in a year or two when we’ve got the club sorted and on the up:cool:

Spot on ,are people trying to say the club are chasing kids away,or are parents and kids happy to go.

We have no say in whether our academy players leave or not, just like every other club in the country. It's up to you who you believe on whether Donald is touting our youth prospects about in with the aim of making a quick buck before he loses his majority stake, but one thing I will say is to all intents and purposes we have a top six academy, and currently sit 48th out of 91. If any other club with our resources found themselves in our position, I'd be expecting similar to happen to them, regardless on their owners actions.
This is the reality. The rest is just sensational crap.

Spot on ,are people trying to say the club are chasing kids away,or are parents and kids happy to go.

I’ve clearly said above, I don’t believe the club are actively looking for clubs to take their kids away... My opinion that is...
I’ve also never said the kids are or aren’t happy to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back